Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Corolla (2019 onwards) spare wheel

Micken

On 12/19/2020 at 6:52 PM, fullfathom5 said:

I was in two minds whether to buy a space saver or a full size wheel but eventually decided on the latter and have ordered the following:

https://toyotadirectparts.co.uk/parts/toyota-corolla/corolla-mk12-2019-present/accessories-corolla-mk12-2019-present/toyota-corolla-2019-present-alloy-wheel-17-2/

I also cut a very small hole in the boot carpet to expose the threaded hole for the retaining screw.

When the wheel arrives I will then need to get a tyre for it and buy a retaining screw although Toyota don't sell one apparently as, according to their official eBay parts store, a 17" wheel won't fit in the wheel well of a Corolla TS (which is obviously incorrect). I also own a Celica that has a full size spare so if that retaining screw fits I shall just buy another the same.

I ordered one of these from eBay to secure my space saver, seems excellent value.

Genuine Toyota Avensis Spare Wheel Compartment Securing Screw 2015- 5193105030
£1.99
Ordered on 29 Aug 2020

I saw those too but sadly you need a longer retaining screw for a full sized wheel.

On 12/18/2020 at 5:29 PM, AKLZ said:

Just an update. 

My 2019 TS Excel 2.0 has a space saving wheel sat in a HUGE wheel well. It would easily fit a full sized wheel in there, though at this stage I havent actually done it.

Can anyone confirm if the wheel well in the TS corolla is the same as the hatchback one? 

• 2 months later...

Hello,

Just thought I’d post this, to help anyone ‘googling’ in future.

Last night I had a puncture, so removed the wheel and put the space saver on (which saved the day!), and can report that the full size wheel that I removed (alloy & tyre) *easily* fits in the wheel well in the boot, and still allows the boot floor to be on the lower setting.

The ‘hollow’ shape of the alloy also means there’s plenty of space inside the wheel once secured in the wheel well, to store all the tools.

Useful to know for anyone going touring who will want to take a full sized spare with them.

• Like 4

Also maybe worth mentioning that KwikFit can order the Falcon tyres that come as standard for same day fitting and cost £75 (ish).

I realise may be cheaper on line etc, but for the ‘I need a new tyre today’ scenario, it’s good to know.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, AKLZ said:

Hello,

Last night I had a puncture, so removed the wheel and put the space saver on (which saved the day!), and can report that the full size wheel that I removed (alloy & tyre) *easily* fits in the wheel well in the boot, and still allows the boot floor to be on the lower setting.

The ‘hollow’ shape of the alloy also means there’s plenty of space inside the wheel once secured in the wheel well, to store all the tools.

Useful to know for anyone going touring who will want to take a full sized spare with them.

That's astonishing.... I'II try that out when I get my Corolla GR Sport TS

41 minutes ago, AKLZ said:

Hello,

Very interesting... I tried the same thing in my Auris Excl TS recently and it didn't fit 

15 minutes ago, AKLZ said:

Well, mine definitely did fit 👍🏻

I'm taking delivery of a 2020 2L Corolla GR Sports TS + TRK ☹️ next week so will be able to compare the models. It would be ideal to be able to fit a full size spare

On 2/25/2021 at 4:43 PM, delbois said:

I'm taking delivery of a 2020 2L Corolla GR Sports TS + TRK ☹️ next week so will be able to compare the models. It would be ideal to be able to fit a full size spare

Re-tried the full size wheel in the Auris TS (see below) and it fits pretty well. Obviously there's no room for the polystyrene jack and tool holder insert but that's not a big problem. Can't wait to try the Corolla TS as the option of carrying a full size wheel would be ideal. I guess I could buy a steel wheel the same size and offset as the alloys and fit a budget tyre at reasonable cost? 

DSC_2230.JPG

For the spare tyres one tip:

if you are using space saver and will be driving the car more than 5-6=miles make sure you fit space saver wheel on the rear and never on Driving Axle,. space saver stress the diff and transmission bearings, whining is present immediately after driving off. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

For the spare tyres one tip:

if you are using space saver and will be driving the car more than 5-6=miles make sure you fit space saver wheel on the rear and never on Driving Axle,. space saver stress the diff and transmission bearings, whining is present immediately after driving off. 

That’s interesting. Mine was on the rear (thankfully, from what you say) and I had to drive some 30 miles on it, including motorway (but never exceeding the 50mph max limit). I didn’t know what you say. So; you’d suggest for a front wheel puncture, putting a healthy rear wheel on the front and the space saver on the rear, every time?

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, AKLZ said:

That’s interesting. Mine was on the rear (thankfully, from what you say) and I had to drive some 30 miles on it, including motorway (but never exceeding the 50mph max limit). I didn’t know what you say. So; you’d suggest for a front wheel puncture, putting a healthy rear wheel on the front and the space saver on the rear, every time?

I had thought about before this so good to get confirmation. Certainly not good to have the steering wheels compromised and not good for the driven wheels to (possibly) have different rolling circumference. So good advice, esp as it only takes 10 minutes to change a wheel. 

• Thanks 1

On 2/27/2021 at 12:53 AM, delbois said:

Re-tried the full size wheel in the Auris TS (see below) and it fits pretty well. Obviously there's no room for the polystyrene jack and tool holder insert but that's not a big problem. Can't wait to try the Corolla TS as the option of carrying a full size wheel would be ideal. I guess I could buy a steel wheel the same size and offset as the alloys and fit a budget tyre at reasonable cost? 

Picked up my Corolla GR Sport TS yesterday and can confirm there's plenty of room in the wheel well for a full size 17"wheel. Next step is to find a cheapish alloy with the right specs (ET40 5x114.3 etc and a budget tyre) and a jack and retaining bolt 👍

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/5/2021 at 11:49 AM, delbois said:

Picked up my Corolla GR Sport TS yesterday and can confirm there's plenty of room in the wheel well for a full size 17"wheel. Next step is to find a cheapish alloy with the right specs (ET40 5x114.3 etc and a budget tyre) and a jack and retaining bolt 👍

Good news.... I managed to pick up an identical spec (and virtually identical looking) 17" OEM Toyota Corolla wheel from eBay in near mint condition and got a matching Faken tyre fitted today. It fits in the wheel well with about 5mm to spare even with the boot cover in the lower position. I'll place it face down with the jack and accessories inside the wheel cavity and source a securing bolt. In my view a much better option than a space saver or can of gunk for those of us who frequent the more remote parts of the country. 

Screenshot_20210318-144934.jpg

• Like 3

23 hours ago, delbois said:

I managed to pick up an identical spec (and virtually identical looking) 17" OEM Toyota Corolla wheel from ebay in near mint condition and got a matching Faken tyre fitted today.

I've been meaning to check eBay for one and you've beaten me to it! I'm off to search for one now!

To help my search, what is the exact search criteria / spec I should use?

55 minutes ago, AKLZ said:

I've been meaning to check eBay for one and you've beaten me to it! I'm off to search for one now!

To help my search, what is the exact search criteria / spec I should use?

To be absolutely sure you're best to remove a wheel and check the specs, which are stamped on the inside of the wheel. My 2020 Corolla GRSport TS specs are 17j7.5 et40 5x114.3 cb 60.1 which an online wheel checker website states is the standard European spec for the Corolla 2019 onwards. The reason I'm not totally sure is I've seen some Corolla wheels for sale with an et45 offset, which may be an error. The eBay seller I bought my Toyota wheel from helpfully included photos of all the stamps on the wheel so I knew for sure it was exactly correct. It's a bit of a minefield and I've been around the houses a few times so pls let me know if you need any advice. 

57 minutes ago, delbois said:

To be absolutely sure you're best to remove a wheel and check the specs, which are stamped on the inside of the wheel. My 2020 Corolla GRSport TS specs are 17j7.5 et40 5x114.3 cb 60.1 which an online wheel checker website states is the standard European spec for the Corolla 2019 onwards. The reason I'm not totally sure is I've seen some Corolla wheels for sale with an et45 offset, which may be an error. The ebay seller I bought my Toyota wheel from helpfully included photos of all the stamps on the wheel so I knew for sure it was exactly correct. It's a bit of a minefield and I've been around the houses a few times so pls let me know if you need any advice. 

Appreciate that! Do you mind me asking what you paid? Was it brand new or used? I saw one at a scrap yard at £200 (inc tyre)

1 hour ago, AKLZ said:

Appreciate that! Do you mind me asking what you paid? Was it brand new or used? I saw one at a scrap yard at £200 (inc tyre)

The wheel I bought on eBay is described in the 2019 Corolla brochure as "17 inch black-faced machined 10 spoke.... Standard on Excel Touring Sport". Ideally I'd have found a wheel with a tyre but in the end I bought a near mint wheel for £195 + £12 delivery and separately fitted a matching Falken ZE914b 225/45R17 91w with tyre for £85

On 2/25/2021 at 12:53 PM, AKLZ said:

Also maybe worth mentioning that KwikFit can order the Falcon tyres that come as standard for same day fitting and cost £75 (ish).

I realise may be cheaper on line etc, but for the ‘I need a new tyre today’ scenario, it’s good to know.

And only fitter in a 30 mile radius that was open on a Sunday. 

Different car and steel wheels, but I had a right bend in a wheel so I waz a wheel short.  Went to the local scrapie and got a steel wheel that came with a tyre. 

Took car to my local garage to put the good tyre onto the scrapie wheel. Picked it up later that day.  New tyre from bent wheel on scrapie wheel and stowed in boot.  Bent wheel now straightened with scrappie tyre also in boot, Doh! 

Last car, 15 years old, we had it for 5, handed it to my garage with original 15 year old spare.  I believe it should have been scrapped years before. 

• 2 months later...
On 8/22/2020 at 11:55 PM, Velvet--Glove said:

I have a 1.8 HB Design which I bought with a space saver. The boot is adequate for my day to day needs but the floor is a few inches higher, just below the sill of the hatchback. I can live with that, I really don't like the idea of relying on a TRK.

Hi, would really appreciate a picture of the space saver fitted to the 1.8 HB. Many thanks

OK. Here are some images of the boot area of a 2019 Corolla Hybrid 1.8 Design hatchback. I requested the space saver wheel & accessories be included as part of the delivery so this is what you get if you ask for it at the ordering stage. I've included a couple of shots of the floor panel that goes on top so you can see how high up it sits - just about level with the top of the coloured bodywork outside. When the seats are folded down the whole surface area sits at this level and produces a large flat, level surface.

There have been many questions on this issue. I hope these photos help folks visualise what the space saver looks like and what does to the boot space.

Corolla 1.8 HB boot1.jpg

Corolla 1.8 HB boot2.jpg

Corolla 1.8 HB boot3.jpg

• Like 4

many thanks Velvet--Glove, much appreciated

On 5/23/2021 at 4:37 PM, Velvet--Glove said:

There have been many questions on this issue. I hope these photos help folks visualise what the space saver looks like and what does to the boot space.

Corolla 1.8 HB boot3.jpg

sorry to be a pain but any chance you could post a photo of the trim by the tailgate with the false floor open please? The bit in the middle with the 2 eyelets attached. As someone else has already said, the spare wheel doesn't fit due to the current trim being in the way. I'm guessing yours has a cutout to allow it to fit. Thanks in advance!