Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Is E10 Petrol OK to use in Toyota Carina E 1.8GS hatchback registered in March 1997 with 7AFE engine?

Carina Chris

The DVLA E10 fuel checker GOV.UK - The best place to find government services and information (check-vehicle-compatibility-e10-petrol.service.gov.uk) confirms the following for all European Toyota vehicles:- 

E10 petrol is cleared for use in all Toyota European petrol models made from January 1998, excluding:

• Avensis 2.0 litre with engine 1AZ-FSE made between July 2000 and October 2008.
  • Avensis 2.4 litre with engine 2AZ-FSE made between June 2003 and October 2008.

Question: I have a Toyota Carina E 1.8GS hatchback registered in March 1997. It has the 7AFE engine. Does anyone know whether my car is OK to use with E10 or will I have to use the more expensive E5 Super Unleaded.

Hi Frosytballs,

I looked at the link you kindly provided. The website advised that I should contact my local Toyota main dealer. I contacted the Kingston Toyota branch in Surrey and, believe it or not, the young lad in servicing was not aware of this new E10 fuel and the impact it could have on older vehicles. So I provided him with more information on this issue and he was grateful! He was completely oblivious to it. However, it still left my question unanswered so he promised to contact the Technical gurus at Toyota HQ and get back to me. He got back to me today as Toyota HQ responded to my question. Their advice - "they do not have any test data on vehicles older than 1998. Toyota may revisit this" but the young lad was not certain when. His advice was to continue using standard Premium Unleaded (95 RON) until it's withdrawn, then use Super Unleaded (97/98 RON) thereafter.      

More expense for a perfectly serviceable older car! 

• Like 1

When you begin using super unleaded, have a look at those supermarket filling stations which have super unleaded, which may bring the costs down a bit. For example, at our local Tesco Extra super unleaded is currently only 6p per litre more expensive than unleaded, plus it has a better additive package. Whereas our cheapest branded super unleaded (Esso) is currently 12p per litre more than (Esso) unleaded.

Since the Carina has a similar 7A-FE engine to the Mk1 Avensis, so long as most of the fuel components are the same, there is a possibility it is compatible! I say with caution, because there could some differences. The Avensis (97-99) with the 7A-FE is 'cleared' to be used with E10 fuel, but strangely the later AZ-FSE series is not! The AZ-FSE are direct injection engines, and other direct injection petrol engines of the time from Ford, Mitsubishi/Volvo, Vauxhall and VAG are also not compatible. Same for a lot of carburettor cars.
I hope my theory that 7A-FE is compatible whatever the installation. For now it will best to use super unleaded E5.

Here are some earlier posts on the subject -

As well as the above recommendations, this AA link might give a slightly broader overview of the E10 'problem'.

https://www.theaa.com/driving-advice/fuels-environment/biofuels  Perhaps you've already gone beyond this?

In the absence of recommendations from Toyota GB, as a 'long shot', then you could consider this line of inquiry:  E10 petrol has been on sale in, for instance, France, for some years now.  Toyota cars are popular over there (and some milder areas may avoid the road salt corrosion that blights some older UK cars, so they will theoretically last forever! 😁).  There must be Carina owners who have had the same question as you, but some years ago.

Perhaps there are some recommendations, or practical experience, on their Toyota forums?  Google translate is a pretty useful tool here...

Toyota France (a separate company to Toyota GB) may have been more forthcoming with information, too.

• 6 months later...

Just received an official reply from Toyota GB regarding my question about the use of E10 fuel in my 1997 Carina E. Hope this helps others in the same position.

See below:-

Thanks for your email. 

We have been advised by our Product Technical Team that we only have E10 Fuel advice available on vehicles after January 1998. As your vehicle is older than 1998, the E10 fuel would not be compatible for your vehicle. 

However, all Toyota and Lexus petrol cars that are not compatible with E10 can still use E5 petrol as this will still be available in the super grade at many petrol stations.

I'm sorry if this disappoints you however I hope it helps.

Thank you for contacting Toyota. 

Kind regards,

Chanelle Snarey
Customer Support
Toyota (GB) PLC 
Distributor of vehicles, parts and accessories for the UK

• Like 1

My personal opinion is that E10 it’s not good for all cars in a long run because of  alcohol inside that reduces the lube properties of the fuel and that will eventually reduce the life of the engine. That’s only my thoughts based on a petrol vs diesel for engine longevity theory  👍

• Like 1

As I have said before on these forums if you do low mileage say 3 to 5 thousand a year stick with E5 it’s a far superior fuel you won’t notice the difference in price over 6 months and fuel prices will come down in the winter as less people are buying it I have noticed this over the last few years.

I think it’s the fuel companies that jack up the prices in the summer months because more people are buying it, it’s the same with holiday companies jacking up prices in the school holidays.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links