Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2011 yaris 1.3sr tank range

YorkshireDave

So I've had my 2011 yaris 1.3 5dr sr for a wk, it's got the touch and go head unit with sat nav and trip info displayed, and a full toyota service history, 71kkn the clock. with a full tank it says I've got a range of only 250miles, the cars averaging 39-42 mpg at the minute as I use it for work and only do 6miles a day round trip. On a big run it's over 50mpg. My question is why is the estimated range so low,  my calculations show it should do 380miles to a tank approx on those figures. Do I need to pull the Battery and reset the ecu to fix this wrong range estimate? Also it's used just under a quarter of a tank according to the needle and I've done 85miles.. how accurate are the range estimates and fuel needle too. 

Sorry for the questions..  

Dave.

3 minutes ago, YorkshireDave said:

So I've had my 2011 yaris 1.3 5dr sr for a wk, it's got the touch and go head unit with sat nav and trip info displayed, and a full toyota service history, 71kkn the clock. with a full tank it says I've got a range of only 250miles, the cars averaging 39-42 mpg at the minute as I use it for work and only do 6miles a day round trip. On a big run it's over 50mpg. My question is why is the estimated range so low,  my calculations show it should do 380miles to a tank approx on those figures. Do I need to pull the battery and reset the ecu to fix this wrong range estimate? Also it's used just under a quarter of a tank according to the needle and I've done 85miles.. how accurate are the range estimates and fuel needle too. 

Sorry for the questions..  

Dave.

Hi Dave, I have the same car (2011) but with Mutidrive Auto Transmission. Had it for 6 months but only done 100 miles due to Pandemic.  Will work out fuel consumption when I can.

The range is calculated partly on how the car is driven. Wouldn't any harm to disconnect the Battery for a few minutes to reset things. Have you recently filled the car up, and if so how many litres did you put in? Topping up with less than 15 litres can give false range readings.

Toyota tends to have quite generous fuel reserves and the low fuel warning light will come on not when the tank is nearing empty, but when the reserve is reached. If you have your owners manual, look up the information on the 'low fuel light' and that section should tell you what the reserve is. For example on the Aygo the low fuel light will come on when there is approx 5.25 litres remaining.

• Like 1

Thanks for info.. I was thinking that since it goes on how its driven over time disconnecting battery can reset it and force it to re learn so to speak. It came with 3/4 full tank.. I filled it and it didn't take 15ltr as I recall.. I'll run it to a quarter tank then brim it after the reset. And let u know outcome. It drives fine otherwise,  spark plugs nice color so smell of fuel so I don't think it's got a major issue.

• Like 1

Can you reset from the dash, should be way to do it. In Winter display range goes down a bit , sometimes a lot and it will goes back up once weather warms up, and so the fuel efficiency, if you travel on a long run, 500+ miles you will see with each refuel range jumps up a bit. That’s normal.👍

Pulled the negative terminal this morning while I swapped the air and cabin filter, the range has gone from 182 left with 3/4 tank full to 220.. so looks like that's sorted it. Obviously I know cold weather driving style etc can effect it. I'll give it a gd run some point but 🤞 it's OK now.

Cheers for all the advice.

Dave.