Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mr A N Noyed from Brackley

AndrueC

Lets face facts..... the roads in Britain are atrocious. Yhey have been neglected for so long now due to cutbacks etc, and with what the government has spent on covid this last 12 months, can anyone see milliions being spent on roads anytime soon?  Actually, the government can borrow money virtually interest free, so why can't they borrow money to repair the roads. Not everyone is going to be travelling on HS2, whenever it is up and running.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Catlover said:

Lets face facts..... the roads in Britain are atrocious. Yhey have been neglected for so long now due to cutbacks etc, and with what the government has spent on covid this last 12 months, can anyone see milliions being spent on roads anytime soon?  Actually, the government can borrow money virtually interest free, so why can't they borrow money to repair the roads. Not everyone is going to be travelling on HS2, whenever it is up and running.

Politicians, local or National do not like to feel they are losing the voters` confidence, so people must complain. There are systems available on Local Authority websites and sites such as Fix my Street. Once a complaint has been made an acknowledgement is produced automatically and the train of events is set in motion. Action is then required under Statute. Leaving the reporting to someone else simply will not do.

Let us all get off our backsides and raise stink.

13 minutes ago, john p williams said:

Politicians, local or National do not like to feel they are losing the voters` confidence, so people must complain. There are systems available on Local Authority websites and sites such as Fix my Street. Once a complaint has been made an acknowledgement is produced automatically and the train of events is set in motion. Action is then required under Statute. Leaving the reporting to someone else simply will not do.

Let us all get off our backsides and raise stink.

Action yes, actually repairing the pothole is something else.  Your local highways authority has a limited budget and therefore a set of criteria regarding repairs.  In my local area I have filed many reports, sometimes 5 times in a day.  The report is acknowledge (1), they visit the site within 14 days (2) and respond such as no further action please report if it gets worse (3) and then scheduled action (4), tell me work is in progress (5)and that work is complete (6).  This can take up to a year.  One such report was at stage 3 for some months, then a local Range Rover driver trashed a tyre and wheel.  Item 6 was completed 3 days later.

• Like 1

The pothole i hit wasn't there the day before, and i was following a lorry so didn't see it until the last minute.

Very annoying. I took the car out today and it seems fine, so that's a relief, but time will tell i guess.

18 minutes ago, Mikw said:

The pothole i hit wasn't there the day before, and i was following a lorry so didn't see it until the last minute.

Very annoying. I took the car out today and it seems fine, so that's a relief, but time will tell i guess.

It would help others if you could report if Mikw.

• Like 1

On 2/26/2021 at 6:47 PM, AndrueC said:

The courtesy car was a Yaris. It was okay I suppose but the hybrid system didn't seem very clever. I suppose it has a smaller battery but basically it wouldn't go into EV mode above 30 mph. Driving back from the dealer I managed a trip mpg of 53. By comparison my Corolla managed a trip mpg of 58.

That also suggests (quite strongly) that forcing your car into EV mode when practical significantly helps fuel consumption.

Still - if I can only get 53 mpg from a small car like a Yaris and 58 mpg from my beloved Corolla there's something strange going on.

Yes, I had a Yaris from Aylesbury when servicing last June. It seemed very primitive compared to the Corolla, and no power, and little EV distance at all. MPG was less that the 2 ltr, so made a mental note not to downsize!

Tyre ware house is great, I don't go anywhere else.

• Like 1

Was that a new 3 cylinder Yaris or the previous model? I still have a 2017 Yaris and everything you say applies. But I thought the new Yaris was much more like the Corolla in all the reviews I've read!

4 hours ago, Geoff W said:

Was that a new 3 cylinder Yaris or the previous model? I still have a 2017 Yaris and everything you say applies. But I thought the new Yaris was much more like the Corolla in all the reviews I've read!

Mine was a 69 plate. It was definitely lacking in umph, I found myself flooring the acclerator pedal a lot to compensate. To be fair it moved passably well when you did that (not as good as my Corolla) but was an ugly way to drive. I can only hope/assume that it's more economical around town. As it stands though I can attest that for a 34 mile journey along free flowing dual-carriageway and rural roads I got better fuel consumption from the Corolla and a more relaxed experience.

..and I was only doing 60mph on the dual carriageways.

Ah - that would have been the old model. Our Yaris comes up for its final payment this month and I toyed with trading it for the new model but with only 10,000 miles on the clock it seemed crazy. My wife is still fairly happy with it although she criticises its performance and she's no racer! Our 1.8 TS Corolla is faster, quieter and far more economical. But the new Yaris sounds altogether better. It appears to come with three quarters of a two litre Corolla power train!

25 minutes ago, Geoff W said:

Ah - that would have been the old model. Our Yaris comes up for its final payment this month and I toyed with trading it for the new model but with only 10,000 miles on the clock it seemed crazy. My wife is still fairly happy with it although she criticises its performance and she's no racer! Our 1.8 TS Corolla is faster, quieter and far more economical. But the new Yaris sounds altogether better. It appears to come with three quarters of a two litre Corolla power train!

Best advice if your hybrid car feels sluggish just change the driving mode from Eco to normal or normal to power and keep it in the mode that most suitable for your driving style and needs. Makes a lot of difference especially how the car feels, performance and economy slightly different. If your wife drives in Eco You can secretly change to normal never power as might become dangerous, leave it like that and see how she will report, hey my car came to life 😊👍

On 3/4/2021 at 4:45 PM, Geoff W said:

I recently had a brand new 70 plate Yaris Hybrid as a courtesy car and it felt a fair bit quicker off the line than my 1.8 Corolla Hybrid. I was actually pretty impressed as I also got into the 70MPG area on one 30 mile trip. Ive always liked 3 cylinder engines in bikes, great torque but smoother than a twin. Boot and rear space was a bit of a joke for me but that was about the only negatives

2 hours ago, Timh21 said:

I recently had a brand new 70 plate Yaris Hybrid as a courtesy car and it felt a fair bit quicker off the line than my 1.8 Corolla Hybrid. I was actually pretty impressed as I also got into the 70MPG area on one 30 mile trip. Ive always liked 3 cylinder engines in bikes, great torque but smoother than a twin. Boot and rear space was a bit of a joke for me but that was about the only negatives

I had many 1.1 3 cylinders colts 2005-2012 and enjoyed them so much. They sounded like hairdryers but comes to life at 3k rpm and pulling well plus nicely sound like bike exactly and all the way up to 6 + k rpm, maybe the new 3 cylinder Yaris has something in common and makes it little fun car 🚗