Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tyre Pressure Warning System

Roy124

I'll come to a question in a moment.

I was driving last week, weather was not bad with temperatures around 7 deg and snow in the margins.  Suddenly the TPW light lit up.  Mod edit  I have had the car for a year and in the handbook there are lots of items if fitted.  Now as far as I knew TPWS was not fitted to my 2020 Design.  As it wasn't fitted I didn't know what the warning might have meant.  The missus got out the handbook as saw it was the TPWS.  When we stopped a few miles on I looked at the tyres and was about to get out my pump when my wife returned.  On restarting the TPW light was out. I put is down to a random wiggly amp issue.

Yesterday, washing the car, I saw the valve stems were metal and rather more substantial than the usual rubber ones.  QED I had a TPWS that had never been mentioned in the spec.

I checked the online manual and around page 455 or485 I found out a lot more about the system, when the alerts were false, the importance of linking the TPW to the computer, especially when swapping front to back.  It also told you how to do the reset. What it did not tell me was over what range it would accept before reporting a pressure lost.

Does anyone know just how low the pressure will be before it gives a warning?

• Like 1

3-5 psi drop below threshold will set a warning, In the winter a cold tire is enough to trigger it - colder air is denser in turn there is a drop in pressure,  TPMS was made mandatory in 2014 on all new cars

Edit. The threshold is changed every time a reset is performed

Since November 2014, all new passenger vehicles sold in the EU must be equipped with a tyre pressure monitoring system (TPMS).

TPMS has been fitted to cars for many years but recently the mandatory fitment and maintenance of such systems has come into force. The process began with the introduction of legislation on 1 November 2012, whereby all new models of cars sold in the EU had to have a TPMS fitted. This was broadened out in November 2014 to include every new passenger vehicle being required to have a TPMS before being sold. In the UK on 1 January 2015, legislation came into force stating that for these vehicles, an inoperative or faulty TPMS sensor would result in an MOT failure

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tire-pressure_monitoring_system

• Thanks 1

Flash, fascinating.  I follow Honest John and things like this are frequently mentioned yet I have not seen this. Thank you.

I have a 2019 Corolla 1.8 Design which indeed does have TPMS - I think I knew this from the published specs before I even bought it.

A small anecdote for you all:
Last year I had the TPMS warning light come on repeatedly. I say repeatedly because several times it came on - I checked all the tyres - a small adjustment of 2psi to one tyre was required the first time but after that the pressures remained constant. After re-setting the TPMS the warning light would just come on again. Puzzling, and rather inconvenient as I didn't particularly want to take it to the dealership at the time (Covid concerns).
Eventually, after a couple of weeks of this rigmarole I did take it in, thinking it was maybe a fault of some kind. Turns out it WAS a puncture after all which the dealer kindly fixed free of charge. Problem solved.

Conclusion: 
This TPMS system appears to be ridiculously sensitive to the slightest problem, sensing a puncture when pressure readings suggest otherwise. Pay attention if this repeat warning ever happens to you and get it looked at.

• Like 2

An earlier topic on Tyre Pressure Monitoring Systems: 

The Aygo has an indirect system. Other models have a direct system.

I had a slow puncture last week in a rear tyre, TPWS came on around 28 psi I think. Annoyingly this system doesnt tell you which wheel  which is a bit of pain

I picked up my 2020 Corolla yesterday from the dealer - 2k miles and not used during snowy period and Battery was flat so dealer agreed to fit new Battery (might be relevant to TPWS issue?). On the way home I noticed TPWS light on dashboard so stopped and checked tyre pressures but all were ok. Tried tyre pressure reset procedure via settings menu but it didn't appear to do anything and the warning light is still on. Will drive a few miles over coming week to see if it resets. 

17 minutes ago, delbois said:

I picked up my 2020 Corolla yesterday from the dealer - 2k miles and not used during snowy period and battery was flat so dealer agreed to fit new battery (might be relevant to TPWS issue?). On the way home I noticed TPWS light on dashboard so stopped and checked tyre pressures but all were ok. Tried tyre pressure reset procedure via settings menu but it didn't appear to do anything and the warning light is still on. Will drive a few miles over coming week to see if it resets. 

Hi, 

if you had checked the tyres pressure immediately after driving they most likely been offset as they get hot and pressure goes up. Best to check and reset your monitoring system in the morning cold before driving off or an hour at least after car been parked and tyres are cold  . 👍

3 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Hi, 

if you had checked the tyres pressure immediately after driving they most likely been offset as they get hot and pressure goes up. Best to check and reset your monitoring system in the morning cold before driving off or an hour at least after car been parked and tyres are cold  . 👍

Thanks Tony 👍... I tried to reset the TPWS again today after resetting the tyre pressures when cold using a different gauge but the warning light is still on. I recall reading about having to drive 20-30 miles after resetting the TPWS so I'll give it a week or so before revisiting. BTW the warning light flashes for about 10 seconds when I first start the car before turning solid. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, delbois said:

Thanks Tony 👍... I tried to reset the TPWS again today after resetting the tyre pressures when cold using a different gauge but the warning light is still on. I recall reading about having to drive 20-30 miles after resetting the TPWS so I'll give it a week or so before revisiting. BTW the warning light flashes for about 10 seconds when I first start the car before turning solid. 

Had similar in the Yaris the other week. so checked the pressures, all were ok. Had to drive for about 6 miles and the warning cancellled

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Mikw said:

Had similar in the Yaris the other week. so checked the pressures, all were ok. Had to drive for about 6 miles and the warning cancellled

Many thanks.... I'll give it a few miles and see

• Like 1

Tried tyre pressure reset procedure via settings menu but it didn't appear to do anything and the warning light is still on.

This is just what happens every single time I have tried the reset proced, i.e. nothing. I just don't get it. When pressing the button for some seconds, nothing seems to happen. Right now I am driving around with the orange flat tyre symbol on all the time. Totally annoying... Don't have the energy to take it do the dealer - they are so arrogant (sigh).

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Platy2 said:

This is just what happens every single time I have tried the reset proced, i.e. nothing. I just don't get it. When pressing the button for some seconds, nothing seems to happen. Right now I am driving around with the orange flat tyre symbol on all the time. Totally annoying... Don't have the energy to take it do the dealer - they are so arrogant (sigh).

That's interesting... my car is due in for its service in June so they can look at it then if it doesn't sort itself out. In the meantime I'll monitor the  pressures in the traditional way. Fortunately my dealer is excellent but 60 miles away (the nearest is 3 miles away but is an Arnold Clark dealership - enough said) 

10 hours ago, Mikw said:

Had similar in the Yaris the other week. so checked the pressures, all were ok. Had to drive for about 6 miles and the warning cancelled

That's pretty much as I experienced, probably very cold tyres that then warmed up.  Been OK since in the warmer weather.

• Like 1

Can you just disable the system and relay on weekly manual checks like in the old good days ? 😂🚘👍

9 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

Can you just disable the system

TPMS is a legal requirement on all new cars from November 2014.

12 hours ago, Platy2 said:

I refer you to my anecdote further up in this thread, I had a similar problem - kept checking/re-setting/driving round with TPMS light on. I suggest you get your tyres checked, the system is telling you something is wrong. Your local tyre outlet if you can't stand the dealer perhaps?

3 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

TPMS is a legal requirement on all new cars from November 2014.

Thanks 👍

if anyone is finding TPMS coming on when cold there is a cold climate setting that can be applied to overcome the cold weather dropping pressure below set threshold.

Drop the pressure in all tyres to 3 psi below normal, reset the TPMS at this level then add the 3 psi back into the tyres this will still give you a puncture warning but the minor pressure variation caused by cold weather will no longer trigger the TPMS

• Thanks 2

11 hours ago, Velvet--Glove said:

I refer you to my anecdote further up in this thread, I had a similar problem - kept checking/re-setting/driving round with TPMS light on. I suggest you get your tyres checked, the system is telling you something is wrong. Your local tyre outlet if you can't stand the dealer perhaps?

Well, may be worth a shot. But I have checked the pressure several times and cannot register even the slightest drop. And my problem seems different - the resetting procedure just appear completely unresponsive. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I know that I follow the manual...

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Platy2 said:

Well, may be worth a shot. But I have checked the pressure several times and cannot register even the slightest drop. And my problem seems different - the resetting procedure just appear completely unresponsive. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I know that I follow the manual...

Same here

on Dash setting scroll down to vehicle settings > TPWS press ok > reset TPWS press and hold ok until dash says resetting TPWS and release ok, orange TPWS lamp should flash then clear

15 minutes ago, Devon Aygo said:

on Dash setting scroll down to vehicle settings > TPWS press ok > reset TPWS press and hold ok until dash says resetting TPWS and release ok, orange TPWS lamp should flash then clear

I've tried this procedure many times but the warning light stays solid. I'm taking the car for a run today so I'll see if that makes any difference. The main thing is the tyre pressures are correct and stable so no safety concerns. 

I have a 2015 GT86 and the TPMS warning lamp sometimes comes on when its very cold weather. 

I own a 50ltr compressor and garage type tyre inflator so check my pressures every week at home.

1 hour ago, delbois said:

I've tried this procedure many times but the warning light stays solid. I'm taking the car for a run today so I'll see if that makes any difference. The main thing is the tyre pressures are correct and stable so no safety concerns. 

The life of TPMS sensor batteries is anticipated to be anywhere between five and ten years. If a sensor Battery dies, the TPMS warning light will stay on as the system is no longer monitoring pressures. As the car is around 8 years old, may be worth getting the sensors checked.

Bear in mind it is an MOT fail if the TPMS warning light is illuminated.