Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Burning smell + smoke from headlight

Tiago Soares

Hello, I am desperate. 

I have a Auris 2013 1.4D 

Today I changed the halogen bulb from the medium and long range light. ( HIR 2).

I changed the bulb from the right side. While I turned on the headlight, while the bonnet was open I started to get a burning smell (but this time from the HIR2 from the left side.) I tracked the smell and I FOUND SMOKE. 

I'm in panic. What should I do. 

The smell and smoke just happen when I have the medium or long range turned on. 

Help please. 

Most likely bulb has gone, sometimes that’s what happens smell and smoke, turn off the lights and get it check and replace. 👍 

14 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

Most likely bulb has gone, sometimes that’s what happens smell and smoke, turn off the lights and get it check and replace. 👍 

The left side bulb is still operational. 

1 hour ago, TonyHSD said:

But probably is near to be gone. Because the right side is gone. 

Just now, Tiago Soares said:

But probably is near to be gone. Because the right side is gone. 

Very likely, when one goes dead the other side goes too shortly after. In the dark when turn on head lights you may notice they play a bit up and down like on self level lights, this is another sign of failure of the bulbs. Just put new bulbs on both sides and see how it’s going. 
👍

7 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

What wattage are the bulbs?

55W and it's a OSRAM on the left and Philips on the right

8 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Very likely, when one goes dead the other side goes too shortly after. In the dark when turn on head lights you may notice they play a bit up and down like on self level lights, this is another sign of failure of the bulbs. Just put new bulbs on both sides and see how it’s going. 
👍

Never noticed that. 

So what should I do? Leave the bulb there until it die or change it now, or go to a Toyota dealership?

Just check if everything is connected alright, and if there is no more smell and smoke it’s ok then, if you want you can change the old bulb even though still works just to make sure you have two new bulbs. That’s all. If still smells burning and not sure you can go to the dealer to double check for you so not to worry of some bigger trouble, it’s all up to you. 

Yeah thanks . I think I will go to a dealership on Monday just to be sure 

Did you fit them securely with a define twist and lock as if not the bulb can become dislodged and drop down out of mounting point and melt the holder housing, 

toyota th white smo

ensure the connector is a nice tight fit

i had a loose connection once and it caused the connector to melt due to it arcing

It's solved.  

So basically I had a little bit of melted plastic in the bulb. So I just removed