Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Oil burning- blue haze behind me! 2005 Aygo.

54Fifer

Like the title says, really. Not usually noticeable, except on (e.g.) hill starts, where she gets revved a little more than usual. Not visible while driving normally, but

she is using a bit of oil-dipstick high mark to low mark in about 1K miles(she's covered 112K)

Is this sort of oil consumption normal for this car's age and mileage?

I'm aware that oil burning is caused (in general, not specifically in Aygos) by either worn valve guide oil seals, worn/gummed-up piston rings or a clogged PCV system.

Which is the most likely in an old, high-mileage Aygo?

If I changed oil grade from 5W/30 to a 10W/40, is that likely to make matters better or worse?(in the short term!)

I suspect that if the problem is rings or valve guide oil seals, a decent used (preferably low-mileage) engine is the easiest solution. Can anyone confirm that

the engine from a Mk.2 Aygo, P108 or Cit C1 Mk.2 is a straight swap? Even if ancillaries need to be swapped over from old engine to "new". Are there any ECU

issues with fitting a Mk.2 engine in a Mk.1?

Hi, 

oil consumption is high 1 litre per 1000 miles, best to investigate what exactly causes that high consumption. Changing oil grade will not help at all and not recommended. Better check and replace pcv, use some oil additives to clean engine internally, unstuck piston rings eventually, if nothing helps repair or replace, but again depending how many miles you do per year. I don’t know about engine swap to help, but others will help soon. Additives that you can use are engine flush, and then with the new oil you can use oil stop leak to rejuvenate oil seals, and then after 1000 miles add oil treatment, I recommend wynns for all additives as they work great. 
Regards 

my guess is its just worn out , 10/40 ought to help and is an approved grade for other brands using the identical engine 

could be a sticky piston ring , some folk soak some treatment in the bore for a few days , but id imagine its just wear and tear 

keep topping it up as long as it passes the mot ..for the price of a few bottles of miricle treatment youre half way to a good uses engine 

9 hours ago, 54Fifer said:

Like the title says, really. Not usually noticeable, except on (e.g.) hill starts, where she gets revved a little more than usual. Not visible while driving normally, but

she is using a bit of oil-dipstick high mark to low mark in about 1K miles(she's covered 112K)

Is this sort of oil consumption normal for this car's age and mileage?

I'm aware that oil burning is caused (in general, not specifically in Aygos) by either worn valve guide oil seals, worn/gummed-up piston rings or a clogged PCV system.

Which is the most likely in an old, high-mileage Aygo?

If I changed oil grade from 5W/30 to a 10W/40, is that likely to make matters better or worse?(in the short term!)

I suspect that if the problem is rings or valve guide oil seals, a decent used (preferably low-mileage) engine is the easiest solution. Can anyone confirm that

the engine from a Mk.2 Aygo, P108 or Cit C1 Mk.2 is a straight swap? Even if ancillaries need to be swapped over from old engine to "new". Are there any ECU

issues with fitting a Mk.2 engine in a Mk.1?

My Aygo is a 2010 car with about the same mileage as yours, 110,000.

If I fill right to the max mark on the dipstick I have to add oil approx every 1500-2000 miles. Toyota state that the max consumption is 1L/1000km which is about 1L/620 miles.

It's on the high side, but I just top it up and forget about it, making sure to check it regularly. I don't have any noticeable smoke from the exhaust though.

Edited by Aygo_Tom

• 3 months later...

It's a while since I've been on here, so please forgive the late response.

Thanks for your input, Guys, all helpful.

Funnily enough, the faint blue haze behind me seems to have  died down a bit, oil consumption still about the same, though.

She's getting less "local traffic" use and more motorway miles since the end of lockdown, maybe I'm just not seeing the haze!

Check around the cam cover gasket, it may be burning off the exhaust at 15 years old the rubber may have gone a bit crispy