Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Pano' roof and spare wheel

rav4x4man

Hi,

Has anyone on the forum solved the problem of putting a space save in a RAV4 with a panoramic roof?

There doesn't appear to be a securing mount in the floor-well of the pano' RAV4 to secure a spare as an aftermarket addition.

Is this the case?

Any help urgently required.

Thank you,

Peter

Hi 
Been discussed here 

On 3/2/2021 at 11:32 AM, rav4x4man said:

There doesn't appear to be a securing mount in the floor-well of the pano' RAV4 to secure a spare as an aftermarket addition.

Is this the case?

Check whether there is a threaded hole in the bottom of the well.  If so, just get a threaded rod and a couple of nyloc nuts to match that thread.  Shorten the rod as necessary - an angle grinder does the job.

Tip:  thread a non-nyloc nut onto the rod before shortening.  Then remove the nut, forcing it over the distorted threads at the cut(poor man's die).  I did a similar thing for my Kia Soul EV.  See post #20 here.

Thanks for all the info'/help.

I hope to get the car at the end of the week; just not sure if there will be any provision to screw in a securing nut.

I'll report back when I know more.

Please report back.

Very interested to know if there is a screw thread in the wheel well. I Am considering changing my hybrid ( with space saver ) to a Dynamic but having no spare wheel is a no no. I’ve still got a full size spare from my previous Diesel RAV so am hoping the anchor thread will be there. 

Thanks for the update. Enjoy your new RAV.

Thanks Philip,

That's wonderful news. I'm going to try a space-saver first and see how that goes.

Hope to have a result early next week!

Success; all sorted with the space-saver in my 'pano' 2020 model RAV4. As other members mentioned there is a mount with a screw anchor thread in the wheel well.

I already had a space-saver and securing screw; I just needed to take up some slack on the securing nut. Improvisation worked well; I happened to have a plastic lid from a Percol coffee jar; I drilled a suitable size hole in the centre of the lid and it worked perfectly. I also covered the lid with a strip of duct-tape to make it more 'grippy'.

In the wheel well I placed a plastic sheet as a 'liner' and  four strips of polystyrene for the tyre to rest down on. Result: nice and secure; no free play or rattles. I'm sure there would be ample room in the well for a full size spare if desired. The cover tray is on the high setting. In the picture the ghostly white area is actually a white towel in which the jack is wrapped. The black bag contains the wheel brace, etc.

IMG_20210313_115838593.jpg

IMG_20210313_121740000.jpg

IMG_20210313_115608631.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Skipped the sunroof model due to no spare wheel 

Problem now is the Dynamic has 19 inch wheels and no space saver even without the sun roof. 

I wonder if there is still a space (wheel well with a screw thread securing point) for a space saver in the 2021 model?

Hi

I have the 2021 model with 19 inch wheels and can confirm that yes it does have the securing point for the spare wheel. I also have the pano roof. I have a full size spare ( non original )18 inch wheel produced for 2019 on Rav 4.   If you look online you will find that the 18 inch wheel/tyre falls easily within the magic 4% size difference  limit. I purchased a 1.5 ton jack on eBay plus a decent extendable wheel brace with the relevant socket. Also got the wheel retainer from Toyota online. The complete kit cost me about £200 with a new budget tyre.

It is a tight fit but as long as you don’t require the lower shelf then it is not a problem.

The important thing about this is that in the event of a puncture you have the option to continue your journey be it with a aluminium wheel that does not match the rest of them. It will act as a reminder to get the original repaired and to reinstate everything back to how it was.

A word of warning!!!!! I went through the process of changing first a front wheel and then a rear wheel for my new spare just to be sure that all would be ok in the event of a puncture on a dark rainy night. Everything fitted. BUT the wheels are very heavy to lift onto the studs. I did struggle and even though I am a very active ( into my DIY ) 72 year old it was hard going. I think if I got a puncture and had decent clothes on and it was dark and wet then I would call the AA and let them change it for me. 
Regards Terry

• Thanks 1

Terry10

Very interesting reply. I’m picking up a new RAV tomorrow, with 19 inch wheels, and like you I have a full size 18 inch spare from my previous Diesel RAV. ( present driving hybrid model) The spare size tyre is 235/55 R18 which is 8 years old. Think the new RAV has 225 wide wheels so have wondered if it would fit in the wheel well. 
As the tyre is 8 yrs old thinking of getting a 225/60 R18 tyre which gives a difference of circumference of 0.3% according to the online tyre calculator. 

will find out tomorrow.

As the car is built with a space for a full size spare it should be a option as repair kits are a poor substitute.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Took delivery of car last Friday. No panoramic roof but wheel well filled with large piece of polystyrene with small cut outs for small compressor and can of goo. A lot of wasted storage space.

My 18 inch 235/55 tyre fits easily into the wheel well. Room around and within wheel for tools and jack. As tyre is  8 years old, well worn and just legal have bought a new  225/60 R18 tyre which is a closer match to the new 19 inch tyres. Standard Toyota wheel retainer works without any modification. Luckily eBay search produced  a RAV mark 5 scissor jack from a breakers yard. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links