Do Not Sell My Personal Information

mk1 sound deadening - results

steveo3002

recently had my carpets out to clean and dry because of the water leaks , so decided to add some deadening to the car

0.75 x 7.5m of adhesive deadening mat £40

1x2m of 8mm closed cell foam £12

i deadened the rear wheel wells  and all 4 footwells where your feet go , extending up behind the pedals as far as i could , all over the tunnel and inner sills , then foam into the footwells like giant floor mats 

id say if before was a 10 for noise its now a 7 , general road noise much reduced , feels a bit more solid to ride in , sadly engine noise is just as before 

and theres enough deadening mat to do the doors when i get chance , if money was no object then i would foam the boot under the carpet and back seat too , theres room to double up on the deadener but its money and extra weight 

• Like 1

2mm mat is enough for most panels 4mm is over kill, i got a good deal on silent coat the last bulk pack i got has done 2 cars with enough to do another, doing the doors makes a big difference

want to silence the engine a big idealy...might try doing that metal tray under the wiper area

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/2/2021 at 4:11 PM, steveo3002 said:

want to silence the engine a big idealy...might try doing that metal tray under the wiper area

Hey, Did you do under the metal tray? And if you did, did it silence the engine more?

okay deadened the metal cover behind the engine /wiper area 

road noise /roar at cruise speed seems improved , sadly very little change to engine tone which is what i hoped for 

was also packed with dead leaves and stuff so not a bad idea to clean it out under there

16 hours ago, steveo3002 said:

sadly very little change to engine tone which is what i hoped for 

I have an Aygo and a Peugeot 208, both 3 cylinders cars that make a lot of noise.  But cheap on road taxes and gas expenses here in DK since both are rated at around 23km/l.   But sometimes I do miss my quiet, 4 cylinder  Peugeot 307.                                

yep engine noise spoils the car , its ok when cruising but rattly around town etc 

i tried some deadening in the front door too...didnt seem to do anything so i left the others  

Come on guys, the engine sound is characteristic and kinda cool 😁

not convinced a rattly crude engine is cool  

• Like 1

Have to say I'm impressed how much quieter my mk2 Aygo is than my mk1 C1 ever was (road noise, wind noise and engine noise are all much reduced), and the engine note as well as being much quieter has a much gruffer note to it which I find quite pleasing - but then I've always liked the sound of engines with an odd number of cylinders (the half orders add so much more character IMHO).

• Like 1

On 3/26/2021 at 9:30 AM, MCjensen said:

I have an Aygo and a Peugeot 208, both 3 cylinders cars that make a lot of noise.  But cheap on road taxes and gas expenses here in DK since both are rated at around 23km/l.   But sometimes I do miss my quiet, 4 cylinder  Peugeot 307.                                

I would like to add that the road tax on my Aygo is 6 times cheaper than the Peugeot 307 and the gas expense is half of the 307. So really

I'm glad to be driving an Aygo as our 2nd car.

• 2 years later...

Is there a guide to doing this?