Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

T180 oil burning issue (might be the turbo?)

Mariosskoutaris

So, a bit of a short story. This started back around November I think where I saw a tiny bit of smoke at the traffic lights and I ignored as I thought it was exhaust gasses because it was night and a car with lights behind me. Day by day I began to notice it more and more and until today which still does it.

Now, we thought maybe was the DPF but later we realized the smoke was kind of blue-ish and we changed the oil from 5w30 to 10w30 because we thought might be engine wear, driven it about a month now but it did not do much, Yes the smoke might be a little less dense and a bit less but its still there.

Driving the car daily I noticed if don't go into boost or not accelerate hard and generally keep my rpms lower than 2000 it doesn't smoke that much and sometimes not at all.

I made an appointment with my mechanic for Thursday to get it looked after (He believes it might be the turbo), But I was wondering if anyone has/had the same or similar problem.

P.S. Turbo boosts no problem I don't feel loss of power.

You need to know how much oil it is using per thousand miles.  Once you know that, you can check to see if it is within tolerance.

Just now, Stivino said:

You need to know how much oil it is using per thousand miles.  Once you know that, you can check to see if it is within tolerance.

With my rough calculations its a bit more than a liter per 1000

1 hour ago, Mariosskoutaris said:

With my rough calculations its a bit more than a liter per 1000

That’s a bit on the large side, even though might just be as described in the book it’s not what a healthy engine will do. 1ltr per 10k miles is more acceptable. Changing the oil viscosity will not help with oil consumption, it’s just a myth and you better stick with what manufacturer recommended. See what the mechanic will tell you, if anything else works fine maybe just add oil on regular basis and live with it. Most of older cars consume oil at some time and mileage. Some oil additives may help like engine flush, oil stop leak, etc 

Just now, TonyHSD said:

That’s a bit on the large side, even though might just be as described in the book it’s not what a healthy engine will do. 1ltr per 10k miles is more acceptable. Changing the oil viscosity will not help with oil consumption, it’s just a myth and you better stick with what manufacturer recommended. See what the mechanic will tell you, if anything else works fine maybe just add oil on regular basis and live with it. Most of older cars consume oil at some time and mileage. Some oil additives may help like engine flush, oil stop leak, etc 

I really hope its something fixable because its a lot of smoke and has a very strong smell.

• Thanks 1

Just an update,

My mechanic found oil in my turbo inlet and exhaust side and also my turbo has shaft play so we concluded that it is indeed my turbo.

Now its a matter of finding a new one.

He also suggested to install an oil catch can later on if needed.

If anyone knows any prices on turbos and oil catch cans i would love to hear them so that i know about what to expect. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links