Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2009 Rav4 SR180 Decat engine issues less or same ?

thetyrant

HI all,

Currently looking for a mk3 Rav 2.2 to replace my old Honda CRV petrol guzzler, im worried about what im seeing about head gaskets on these 2.2 cars mind!   also finding one that isnt suffereing from rust is proving hard work!

Anyhows ive found what looks a decent 2009 SR180 Decat enging model locally with 100k miles on, all seems good but reading about all the problems earlier T180 engines had with gasket issue has me wondering if the later SR180 DeCat engine is likely to be any better ?

All info welcome

Thanks

Ian

The SR180 D-CAT engine is likely to be identical to that fitted to the earlier T180 so the associated risk will be pretty much the same. My 2009 registered SR180 housed an engine built in 2008 and so could not be considered free of that risk. It's also worth noting that it never gave me any trouble at all ... 😉

At least you know where you stand and can make an informed decision ...

Rav4 2.2 diesel engines affected by the oil consumption/head gasket issues were produced between July 2005 and December 2008. A 2009 registered Rav4 may have been affected and you could ask a Toyota dealer to check the service history to see whether the particular car you're looking at, had the 3/4 engine replaced either under warranty or the goodwill arrangement (now expired) that was put into place.

Other Toyota models that used this engine were also affected.

21 minutes ago, philip42h said:

The SR180 D-CAT engine is likely to be identical to that fitted to the earlier T180 so the associated risk will be pretty much the same. My 2009 registered SR180 housed an engine built in 2008 and so could not be considered free of that risk. It's also worth noting that it never gave me any trouble at all ... 😉

At least you know where you stand and can make an informed decision ...

Thanks i suspected as much..hmmm

3 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Rav4 2.2 diesel engines affected by the oil consumption/head gasket issues were produced between July 2005 and December 2008. A 2009 registered Rav4 may have been affected and you could ask a Toyota dealer to check the service history to see whether the particular car you're looking at, had the 3/4 engine replaced either under warranty or the goodwill arrangement (now expired) that was put into place.

Other Toyota models that used this engine were also affected.

Thanks for reply, car has been main dealer serviced all its life by my local dealer so will see if they are willing to share any of what has or has not been done in past.

I agree with Philip I had a T180 2006 Dcat 2.2 bought it with 89000 on the clock, it did have a new engine at 32,000 apparently Toyota had a lot of trouble with the earlier ones as they were burning a lot of oil and head gasket issues, and Toyota were replacing engines if it was using a litre of oil or more per 1000 miles.

I did not have mine long as I did not need it anymore and yes it was rusty on the inner sills especially by the seat belt anchorages needed welding.

I did not have any problems with it though in the 8 months that I had it, check the header tank for bubbles when engine is running.

Also I did not find it that economical about 28 to gallon mainly short journeys though,I also put Shell v power in it and diesel system fuel cleaner.

All good info thanks guys.

Reading between the lines it seems the 180 versions of these engines must just be too close to the edge of design limits hence the head sealing issues ?

Rust wise i got a real shock at 1st mk3 Rav i viewed earlier in week and just walked away without even bothering to drive it, however the 2 ive viewed since have been worse making me wonder if they are all going to be in such a state, I had a mk1 Rav for awhile up until about 2 years ago and while it was corroded to a point  underneath it was nothing like as bad as the Mk3's ive seen so far!

Hi, I had a T180 and turned out it had been traded in because the head gasket had gone and was just outside the Toyota extended warranty. According to what I read at the time, the metal used on the head gasket reacted with the oil or with part of the engine causing it to fail. (I think that was right). Mine never over heated or missed a beat, I just noticed the coolant had spat out the top of the overflow. 

Thanks what did it cost you to get it sorted? And once done did it give anymore issues?

I think I'm going to stay away from 180 models sound like more hassle than its worth, enough pitfalls with lower power versions from what I'm reading!

Thankfully I had only had it a couple of months so car supermarket replaced and skimmed the head and had it all pressure tested. I kept it another couple of months and I think it was starting again so I sold it and got something else.