Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Car Park Damage

152bobby

Yes, it's happened, damage to the Rav and they drove off.

I only noticed it the other day when washing the car.

It's along the side but mainly underneath the passenger side step. Damage is mainly to the black plastic under the silver plate that's on the side step. Slight dent on metal plate.

The plan is to find someone breaking a SR Rav, preferably with damage to the other side, so they will be happy to just sell me one side.

So if anyone happens to see some for sale or a SR being broken up for parts, please let me know.  There is one on eBay, but he does not have the running boards anymore.

PXL_20210228_152015478.jpg

You may disagree but that looks like a scrape caused by hitting a low wall or other such object - I'm struggling to imagine the part of another car that would be that low and could swipe under the step as it was driven past.

Either way it sucks!

I would normally agree, but my wife and I take ages to park our car and if there is no suitable safe parking, we just drive on.

I just can't imagine us parking or driving that close to a low level wall never mind not notice whilst it's happening !!

Anyway, the damage is done, the job now is to get my hands on a replacement passenger side step from a SR.

Cheers.

will keep my out

• Thanks 1

I always reverse park and think ahead  and make it easier to drive out.

I reckon this was done by one of the many people who park facing in to a space and then still struggle to reverse out, blindly into traffic.

The direction of the scrape/grooves indicates to me that someone was reversing out and has no clue as to how the front of your car reacts when turning the steering wheel !!

If this was the case, the side step did its job and protected my car !!

• Like 1

It looks like operator error to me.  It's as if someone driving it has cut a corner with a high kerb too tightly.  If it wasn't you, who else drives the car?

You are all trying to convince me and are doing a good job, I guess I'll have to blame my wife, as she is the only other driver 😃

It will be a pair of new steps. imho the worse of that will buff out with a bit of compound or give it a dusting with a rattle can

I intend to smooth it out with some fine wet and dry and buff it up, whilst I keep looking at breaker yards for a possible replacement.

Not much I can do about it being indented, apart from noticing it every time I wash the car.

Having experienced extensive damage to my rav4 I found contacting Breakers yards to be the best option.

• Thanks 1

Hi, maybe best to research how to repair, maybe smooth it out and then with heat gun to get it back to black or something like that, there are always new methods on how to in YouTube. It does look like someone has done it, not a scratched from driving’s over something. People are just insane these days, horrible creatures. 

Yes, I'm also looking at that. There are various products like flexi plastic filler for bumpers etc.  I did do my apprenticeship as a car body repair and paintsprayer, albeit it many many years ago, but I am pretty good with practical hands on jobs.

So I do have various options.

Thanks.

• Thanks 1

Your side steps look like they saved you there. I wish the newer RAVs had the plastic “cladding” that older series had, like on my old LandCruiser. 
Here she is on the day I traded her in for my current 2019 RAV4 😢

AAFF4BB9-AF94-4204-826B-13C82901CAAE.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, finally got a set from a breakers via Parts Gateway for the price of the highest quote for a repair !!! 

I may be back if I have difficulty in fitting the one that needs replacing.  

Is there a official accessories parts fitting guide ?

Thanks

Replacement side steps arrived today.

I am gong to either replace just the damaged one or.....

I have been talking to a company called Rhino Linings, who spray truck bed liners amongst other things and they have said that they can spray these and I'm thinking of doing this. Won't have to worry about the dreaded rust spots and them getting worse.

What do you all think ?

PXL_20210325_105841707.jpg