Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Catalytic converter theft

Liamcupra

Hi guy need some advice, I’ve had my converter stolen, I’ve contacted the dealership and they have offered the following: Paying a percentage of the cat repair, offering to put a Catloc on free a charge and 12 months warranty that if it gets stolen again with the catloc fitted they will replace it again free of charge, how successful are the catlocs when fitted? Has anyone experienced that’s had a catloc fitted? Would they be useless or would really put a thief off trying to steal the cat again? Only had the car two weeks so my choices are hand the car back and have a full refund or put the cat loc on and potentially not have it stolen again, I love my car but the anxious of it happening again! 

thank you

Hi, sorry hear that happened so soon after purchase. The decision is entirely yours, the cat locks worth every penny IMO plus you have exceptionally good deal. There are no better cars then Toyota hybrids in terms of drivability and reliability, efficiency and value for money, perhaps full electric cars but you know these are different story. If you really like the car and want to keep it maybe go for the offer, if you want to buy another car even another Auris 1.2 for example will drive and feel completely different. Let see what other members will say. 
Good luck either way you choose.👍

• Thanks 1

There are a number of topics on the Club re cat thefts. Like any security device, Catlocs are a deterrent but won't guarantee full protection against determined thieves. 

Toyota's are one of a number of makes being targeted - eg Honda, Audi, VW, Mercedes, etc 

I would advise getting the offer in writing if you intend keeping the car - that way if the worst happens, you should be covered. I would also determine what percentage of the cat replacement they are offering, as, although Toyota have reduced the cost of cat replacements, you could still looking at a large bill.

15 minutes ago, Liamcupra said:

12 months warranty that if it gets stolen again with the catloc fitted they will replace it again free of charge

So what would they replace free of charge - the cat and catloc, or just the catloc??

Again, get it in non-ambiguous writing. 

• Thanks 1

They have said the convertor is £724 fitted as they are putting money towards and they are also fitting a catloc free of charge so afterwards.. when the catloc is fitted and the thieves come back and they steel the cat with the catloc fitted they will replace the cat converter again free of charge if it happens within a 12 month period, they have said it will be in writing what they are saying 

21 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

There are a number of topics on the Club re cat thefts. Like any security device, Catlocs are a deterrent but won't guarantee full protection against determined thieves. 

Toyota's are one of a number of makes being targeted - eg Honda, Audi, VW, Mercedes, etc 

I would advise getting the offer in writing if you intend keeping the car - that way if the worst happens, you should be covered. I would also determine what percentage of the cat replacement they are offering, as, although Toyota have reduced the cost of cat replacements, you could still looking at a large bill.

So what would they replace free of charge - the cat and catloc, or just the catloc??

Again, get it in non-ambiguous writing. 

3 hours ago, Liamcupra said:

Hi guy need some advice, I’ve had my converter stolen, I’ve contacted the dealership and they have offered the following: Paying a percentage of the cat repair, offering to put a Catloc on free a charge and 12 months warranty that if it gets stolen again with the catloc fitted they will replace it again free of charge, how successful are the catlocs when fitted? Has anyone experienced that’s had a catloc fitted? Would they be useless or would really put a thief off trying to steal the cat again? Only had the car two weeks so my choices are hand the car back and have a full refund or put the cat loc on and potentially not have it stolen again, I love my car but the anxious of it happening again! 

thank you

last November my converter was stolen as well , after repair in the insurance authorised garage , I brought my car to the Toyota centre and fitted a Catloc and tilt alarm, and I was told by the service adviser that Toyota can't guaranty the Catloc can prevent the Cat converter stolen, and didn't say this kind of warranty you mentioned above.   

14 minutes ago, Davidhee58 said:

last November my converter was stolen as well , after repair in the insurance authorised garage , I brought my car to the Toyota centre and fitted a Catloc and tilt alarm, and I was told by the service adviser that Toyota can't guaranty the Catloc can prevent the Cat converter stolen, and didn't say this kind of warranty you mentioned above.   

Presumably the dealer the OP bought the car from two weeks ago, made the offer as an encouragement  to keep the car. 

Aside from the above, the dealer is offering a percentage off a new cat which will be fitted by them, rather than your fitted replacement which was arranged by the insurance company.

Different scenario and a dealer offer rather than a Toyota offer.

6 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Presumably the dealer the OP bought the car from two weeks ago, made the offer as an encouragement  to keep the car. 

Aside from the above, the dealer is offering a percentage off a new cat which will be fitted by them, rather than your fitted replacement which was arranged by the insurance company.

Different scenario and a dealer offer rather than a Toyota offer.

Yes that’s true it’s so I keep the car, so would you be confident of keeping the car with a cat loc on and have confidence it wouldn’t happen again or would you be like no I’ll move to another car brand?

7 hours ago, Davidhee58 said:

Have had any more issues with the catloc fitted? Also do you feel confident with the catloc fitted that it wouldn’t happen again as you can imagine my anxiety is very high on weather take the car back for a full refund or try the car again with the catloc it’s a huge !Removed! shame as I love the car!! And no other car seems to come close with the tech it has etc 

There is no guarantee won’t happen again, however you have dealers warranty if happens you are covered which is good. There are some other steps to help like removing the badges which probably is the most important step to do along with fitting a cat lock. Having your car looks just as standard petrol or diesel Auris thieves will not stopping by and if they did they will always look under the car to see if there are any security devices fitted, once they realised the owner is prepared they will walk away and not return to your place if the car been target at home for example. You will need to remove all hybrid badges and the blue hue from rear emblem, front one do not as you may have a sensor build in. I have done all that , I have had no problems one year since and I wished I done that things before got one of ours targeted 14 months ago. Now my car looks like regular Auris and all garages are getting confused what model is when visiting for service or MOT. 🚘👌👍

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Davidhee58 said:

Yeah I’ve been told to debadge the car, is there a way of getting a different gear stick aswell? A mechanic I know says it could take the front Badge and rear back and fit a black carbon fibre background on it, do you think the thieves would just input the reg on the dvla website? I’m also trying to get a gear knob replacement aswell so if they did look through the window it would also try and hinder the identity, I’m also thinking of putting catloc stickers in the rear windows aswell or would that make it too obvious it’s a hybrid, it’s frustrating because no car seems to come close 😂 

Some thieves knows what car is from first sight, but the majority of the, are dumb b...Ds and they know nothing about cars, de Badge Prius and they will not touch it. It’s not worth looking to change gear lever, as they can run number plates, I doubt it they will bother, they just drive and look around, spot Toyota with hybrid Badge and stops to check, that the whole point without hybrid Badge and the car looks slicker. If you car is 2015->. do not touch front badge. 

9C4C0C5C-CD65-411C-8D64-7DCC892FF693.jpeg

6C734DBD-6292-4CE4-AFBE-9EDCBDD805B4.jpeg

2958B31A-4D14-4180-B6BA-758567253F03.jpeg

A101E7C9-D303-4ED8-B4C3-29116EC60122.jpeg

• Thanks 1

The front one I could cut the the shapes and presumably stick it over the top or how would I do the front Badge yes mines a 15 plate 

Did you bother to the front Badge? Yes your car looks so much better without the here I’m a hybrid! 

have you had yours stolen then it’s soo frustrating!! 😄 but if you was in my position would you take up the offer the dealer have offered, thanks for your time in replying 

1 minute ago, Liamcupra said:

The front one I could cut the the shapes and presumably stick it over the top or how would I do the front badge yes mines a 15 plate 

Yes but you will cover the sensors, just check if looks like the rear without sensors or if it’s like screen flat then better don’t intervene.

Sorry if I sound think but does yours have the same sensors as my car? How did you manage to get around this with the front one? Sorry only had the car less than two weeks and I’m not the most clued up person on cars! I didn’t think they even pinched cats and now it seems I’m making my car into Fort Knox! 😂

8 minutes ago, Liamcupra said:

Did you bother to the front badge? Yes your car looks so much better without the here I’m a hybrid! 

have you had yours stolen then it’s soo frustrating!! 😄 but if you was in my position would you take up the offer the dealer have offered, thanks for your time in replying 

My car is old and has no sensors so front one done too. Don’t know what to advise tbh, I know for myself that I won’t buy and drive as my own car different from Toyota hybrid until I am ready to move onto full ev, may drive any car as rental or company but my personal choice is Toyota hybrid. You can also throw a rug over the gear selector when parking for longer time, shopping or overnight to completely mask the hybrid story. 

FC9ED149-5EC0-4FF7-A6A0-799A6905B2C8.jpeg

EFD4E9C2-966C-42C9-B078-57D34998B1F6.jpeg

Just now, TonyHSD said:

My car is old and has no sensors so front one done too. Don’t know what to advise tbh, I know for myself that I won’t buy and drive as my own car different from Toyota hybrid until I am ready to move onto full ev, may drive any car as rental or company but my personal choice is Toyota hybrid. You can also throw a rug over the gear selector when parking for longer time, shopping or overnight to completely mask the hybrid story. 

FC9ED149-5EC0-4FF7-A6A0-799A6905B2C8.jpeg

EFD4E9C2-966C-42C9-B078-57D34998B1F6.jpeg

Wouldn’t the rug mate it abit more obvious as oppose to a black gear knob 😕 it’s so hard to know what to do! The car itself is everything I want in a car, if it was another car such as Ford etc it would go back straight away but this has soo many pros than cons which makes it even more frustrating for me 

You can buy used gear lever with boot from standard Auris and cover yours when parked, but I don’t think is necessary, the idea of protecting your car is to keep the plaque away as if they come close to check your car might get ****** off it’s all protected and cause exterior damage, happened on cars with hybrid badges I believe but who knows there might be something else too. My advise is if you decide to keep it go for the offer and remove badges. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Liamcupra said:

Thanks Tony 😃

You are welcome 👍

Just now, TonyHSD said:

You are welcome 👍

I’ll let you no the outcome of it all 🙂 

• Thanks 1

Most worrying future time is now, just after you had a new cat fitted. If you park in the same spot they can come round again knowing you will have a new cat fitted.  Catloc, already been said, is a deterrent. They don’t spend much more then a minute to chop a cat off, then they on to next one. If a catloc is going to slow them down then they may just not bother with yours and pass on. My advice, don’t park your car in a lonely quiet spot. They will love that. Here some good news, 2 cat thieves recently jailed up in north Cheshire.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Catlover said:

recently jailed up in north Cheshire.

Do you have a link to that story?  I'm interested to see if the punishment was fitting!