Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Avensis 2002 Oil Filter location

devonlad66

Recently bought a Toyota Advensis 2002 Vvti Petrol. Carried out oil change to find the oil filter loose and the sump plug not tightened up.

What is interesting when replacing the oil filter the oil filter location seems like something missing. Easy to screw new oil filter in place. All ok. There seems to be a part missing where you screw the new oil filter in place. I may be wrong.

Just wondering if anyone has a photo of what the oil filter location looks like. I got a Bosch filter from ECP.  Maybe i dhould use a genuine Toyota oil filter

I can't provide any photos, but so long as the mating surface is clean and even, it should make a good seal. The filter is easy to screw on by design until tightening. 

Couple of things to note. Replace the fibre washer on the sump plug - size M12. This serves two purposes - stops any possible leaks and helps to stop the plug working loose through vibration. When replacing the oil filter, run a film of clean oil over the rubber seal of the filter. This helps with sealing and tightening. 

Both procedures with stop the sump plug and oil filter from being loose and leak, like how you found them. 

• Like 1

what engine do you have ?? 1.8 petrol ??? Spin on or cartridge type filter ?

There are 2 1.8 engines

7AFE - Cambelt

1ZZFE - Cam chain

2 hours ago, flash22 said:

what engine do you have ?? 1.8 petrol ??? Spin on or cartridge type filter ?

There are 2 1.8 engines

7AFE - Cambelt

1ZZFE - Cam chain

Bob, going by Rob's description 2002 vvti, all petrol Avensis engine oil filters are spin on canister type, until the Valvematics that use cartridge type. I am also surprised the sump plug is the same - my old leanburn is virtually the same. I am using the same fibre washers, every oil change.

I kept my Haynes manual from when I owned my old Mk1 7A-FE, as it covers all T22 petrol engines.