Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tilt alarm

Liamcupra

Hi anyone had a tilt alarm fitted to there Auris ?? Are they good? 

thanks 

Hi, I didn’t recommended to you tilt alarm simply because thieves does not mind them, the alarm can scream loudly and they doesn’t care as they only need 2-3 minutes to do the job, plus no one will intervene as they are group of three at least, have their tools as weapons and are ready to fight and run away. On top of that very often they are dressed as mobile mechanics with high visibility vests and jackets plus wearing face masks and gloves, you don’t really see them as thieves, even police can be fooled. My personal opinion is that tilt alarm can not help for cat theft. The idea is the thieves to drive pass and not stopping by., but if you want as extra peace of mind you can add alarm too.  👍

The UK is a hotbed of unique thefts. I mean, moped gangs, guys stealing only cats, dressed as mobile mechanics, that's some dedication there.

If the government does not care that much to enforce a law present in many European countries, which would kill most of these guys "business" activities, why should you bother respecting the law?

If it does not hurt the car, i would straight pipe it, or put a cheapest cat i could find, thieves would not bother with that. Put the original back on for MOT.

• Like 1

It's illegal to alter an emissions control device eg. a cat, removal means an instant MOT fail if stopped by VOSA the car can be impounded and the owner fined up £10K (very rare, but it has happened)

• Like 1

A month ago I saw a Prius gen 2 in Harrow north London driving without catalytic converter, the noise was like from a rally car and the driver seemed well ****** off, probably he had just discovered the loss and was on its way to a garage for replacement, and if I was a police officer I could have easily stop and fine him, right? ,🤭😢 

In Edgware another lovely areas of wonderful north London I saw an Auris gen 2 that seemed wrongly parked next to the kerb and guess what., the heat shielding was hanging from one site and metal peace under it, the bolts from the manifold which obviously means was just another stolen converter and owner probably unaware of it yet. And here pictures of what we find from one of ours.😂 stories to tell...

B5DCD7A0-C96E-4F55-947C-C675AA419BF8.jpeg

Cat thefts are rife in Ireland, the US, Canada, etc, etc.

2 hours ago, flash22 said:

It's illegal to alter an emissions control device eg. a cat, removal means an instant MOT fail if stopped by VOSA the car can be impounded and the owner fined up £10K (very rare, but it has happened)

But it's legal for it to get stolen and government to turn a blind eye to this problem?

If you put a straight pipe, there should not be a sound difference, it's not a silencer.

6 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Cat thefts are rife in Ireland, the US, Canada, etc, etc.

I don't know anyone who got their cat stolen, or heard of such case (central EU), not saying it does not exist, but for sure not on such scale like in UK.
Few years back, went to sell an old Battery, the guy wanted my id, had to sign, cameras everywhere. 

Last year went to sell some scrap metal, different place, same thing, ID, all on camera.

Maybe to you guys this all seems fine, but for someone looking from the side, it's a bit absurd, i mean, expensive cat locks, debadging a car...

We have the same scrap rules here, but that doesn't stop them exporting them to Africa or Eastern Europe

Its nothing to do with sound, cats are there to control pollutants

Every country has its own issues

eg.

https://www.europol.europa.eu/newsroom/news/40-arrested-in-spain-and-france-for-international-vehicle-theft-and-trafficking

https://www.europol.europa.eu/newsroom/news/end-of-road-for-keyless-car-thieves-in-germany-and-poland

https://romesentinel.com/stories/rome-police-warn-of-rise-in-catalytic-converter-thefts,106449

Uk at its finest, not only that problem is absurd here but many more, like for example what comes to my attention privately owned e scooters are illegal in Uk but you can rent one from special companies for 25p a minute and £1 unlocking fee 🤭 Another thing, recent years London and many more cities road network been destroyed with stupid useless cycle lanes that only cyclists can use and no other vehicles can enter, that causes unimaginable traffic jams, emergency service vehicles not able to drive and whole bunch of trouble. Now councils started to remove those. Smart motorways without hard shoulder used by not so smart drivers that tailgating, speeding, and racing all the time and 0-62mph is most important thing for them while driving. , results deadly accidents. The list goes on and on. 👍

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/4/2021 at 11:09 AM, Liamcupra said:

"Hi anyone had a tilt alarm fitted to there Auris ?? Are they good?" 

Hi All.

I had a tilt alarm fitted to my 2016 Auris Touring Sports at my local dealership (Jemca Edgware) at a total cost of £100 really just for the piece of mind that I've taken all reasonable precautions against this type of theft. My catalytic converter was stolen in May last year and it was replaced by my insurance company and I paid an extra £250 for the fitting of the CatLoc device. The tilt alarm upgrade wasn't available at that time.

Jemca are now offering the CatLoc and the Tilt Alarm for £300 all-in if fitted at the same time which I think is probably a good deal.

When I picked the car up I asked the technician to demonstrate it to me which involved locking the car, which sets the system,  jacking the car up to set it off so that I could hear the horns and siren working, and then how to turn the alarm off by opening the car and pressing the start button to silence the alarm. There are no user instructions supplied other than a card that has a PIN number on the front and instructions on the back to show how to turn the system off in the event of any problems or for if the car is being serviced/repaired.

I really do think that Toyota or the dealer should supply a proper user manual or instruction sheet to the owner so I'm really glad I asked for the demo.

The system has two parts; a control box fitted inside the car, which I can't show because it's placed high up under the dash, and an extra horn/siren unit under the bonnet. A button with a flashing LED is fitted in the centre console to show that the system is active. They also put a sticker on the driver and passenger side windows. The installation took them less than an hour but they had the car all day 😡.

I've posted some before/after pictures so that you can see what is fitted as well as the installation instructions that can be found elsewhere on this site.

Is it effective? Is it worth the cost?....I'll never know unless my Catalytic Converter is stolen again...my hope is that I have sufficient deterrents to make them go after an easier target. 

I hope that the above is helpful 🙂.

Robbob.

Horn_Siren here.jpg

Horn_Siren.jpg

Before 1.jpg

After 1.jpg

Before 2.jpg

After 2.jpg

Tilt-Sensor_Auris2mkRHD_AIM-004-701-3.pdf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2