Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Theft of Cats from Yaris?

sproutdreamer

I have just had a mailshot from our car insurer detailing precautions to take to stop the CC from being stolen, sent to us as the "Yaris is particularly at risk".

This does surprise me as the cat on our old 04 T Spirit is right high up under the manifold and tight behind the radiator so I had alway assumed that the cat was not easily accessible and so not attractive to thieves due to its position, apart from being an old car. Are the insurers referring to later model Yaris cars or lumping them in with other Toyotas like the Auris orPrius?

yes, lumping them all in one big group, they tend to look for cars 2010 and newer up to 2017 before the cat's were made with less precious metals - there are loads of threads on the subject, older petrol cats are worth 75-80% less than the hybrid ones

On the 2SZFE 1.3 the cat is part of the manifold

The Avensis may have an issue tho, but then again it's an older petrol car

Yes tarring all with the same brush. Insurance companies will always look for ways to load the customer. The Yaris cc is the best protected due to its location. Thefts of its cc are rather rare. Other models particularly the Auris are vulnerable. Get back to your insurance company and make them aware.

3 hours ago, sproutdreamer said:

I have just had a mailshot from our car insurer detailing precautions to take to stop the CC from being stolen, sent to us as the "Yaris is particularly at risk".

This does surprise me as the cat on our old 04 T Spirit is right high up under the manifold and tight behind the radiator so I had alway assumed that the cat was not easily accessible and so not attractive to thieves due to its position, apart from being an old car. Are the insurers referring to later model Yaris cars or lumping them in with other Toyotas like the Auris orPrius?

• Like 3

Hi.

If you need any help with insurance when your insurance is due for renewal please feel free to drop me a line.

Regards,

Dan.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, DAN@ADRIAN FLUX said:

Hi.

If you need any help with insurance when your insurance is due for renewal please feel free to drop me a line.

Regards,

Dan.

Thanks I will get a quote when it is due.

12 minutes ago, sproutdreamer said:

Thanks I will get a quote when it is due.

Please let us all know how you get on with Adrian Flux Keith as they are not well thought of on the Lexus Forum.

I can tell you about Flux. I was with them for about 20 years insuring my Suzuki 4x4's. Last one was a heavily modified 1981 LJ80, and with an agreed value of £8K and all mods declared FC was about £150. This also included being insured off road. When I got my 2003 1.0l Yaris I asked them for a quote. 3rd party only was the cheapest option and it was £540. Needless to say I have never used them again.

• Like 1

All insurers have specific categories of customer they will insure, and these categories are often based on a combination of factors including, but not limited to, type of vehicle, occupation, age(s) of insured, postcode, history, etc, etc.

Often where one doesn't fit into their categories, the insurer will quote a high price and probably with the knowledge that you will go elsewhere. 

For example:

A while ago with one of our cars, our current insurer decided to withdraw from the car insurance market. So at renewal we shopped about. Direct Line quoted a high price, and then advised that the car wasn't one they would handle. They also advised that their then sister company, Privilege, may be able to quote more competitively. Privilege were contacted, came in much cheaper and the insurance was placed with them.

Brokers like Adrian Flux, will have a range of insurers they place insurance with, and the insurers they use will also have categories of customer they will insure.

So if you get from your view, an uncompetitive insurance quote, the insurer is saying you're not in one of their categories, go elsewhere.

It can be a bit of a lottery I agree....but in fairness I've been with A. Flux for several years now and I have always received good service AND a competitive quote for my Estima V6 import that I've been happy to accept.

• Like 1

I understand that, but Flux didn't advise me to go elsewhere. If they had, and had been honest in the first place I'd still be using them. Sheila's Wheels of all places quoted me just over £200 FC.

Every year I search the internet to compare quotes. As an example I get quotes lower then £300 fully comp, but they go sometimes up to a £1000. Obviously either the car or me, or both, are not in their catchment so they price themselves out.   I retired now, but I was a professional carpet cleaner. If I went to give a quote and I didn’t fancy the job I would stick a high price in. If I didn’t get the job then that was fine as I didn’t want it anyway. If for whatever reason the customer chose my high price, well then I would do it knowing I was going to get well paid for it. Same with the car insurance.

Getting insurance quotes is so tricky, sometimes all you need to do is change your search engine from safari to google, or compare the market to uswitch and you can have half price from the same company provider. Or ring them directly and check.