Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

master key lost (all keys lost)

robkar79

hi. 

Can you help? My car is Toyota Avensis 1.6, year 57, I mean 2007.

I lost my only master key and I got only valet ( grey) key left. I think it's a valet. I have bought replacement,  cut to the key code and with transponder/chip fitted (3 button case). It now needs programming. Can I use a laptop for it? If yes what software? or does it have to be dedicated car key programming device? any reasonably priced, possibly under 100 pounds? 

on an 57 it will be dealer only for programming, you could try phoning a few proper locksmiths (not timpsons), some have tools, some don't

A lost master means all keys have to be wiped and programmed

• Like 1

Look for a local Automotive Locksmith. They will be able to programme it.

• 7 months later...

From my experience having lost the key twice but, having them found in both cases. When I enquired at Toyota dealer, they quoted £1000! I still had the other keys, but they said one might be the master. That was for my '98 Avensis over 10 years ago. I have 3 keys, 2 black with remote and the grey valet key for both old and current car.

Another issue is having only one remote key. I always prefer to have a good spare working key, plus I alternate between the two, to reduce wear. I remember about 7 years ago, my brother had only one key with the Nissan Micra. While it was in Nissan for another matter to do with the steering lock, I made sure they got a second key. And just as well, because my brother put his jacket with the key in the boot and the car locked itself when he close the door! He had to call the wife to bring the second key. Lucky it was not too far. Also the Nissan can forget a key if that key is not used within a period of time - as stated by a Nissan guru.

That is why I also like to have a spare key.  

quick question also i have 2 keys for my car a 2014 toyota avensis i was thinking of buying another key  with fob the same as i have already. i was wondering is it tough to pair a virgin transponder chip with my car and the key fob also i see them on eBay for £30 plus is it difficult to get a key cut and find a blank its just im thinking incase i loose my other keys might be handy to have another one 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links