Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Key fob battery

mick787

Have any members changed their key fob batteries recently? The one fitted is a CR 2016, the internet 'boffins' say a CR 2032 is compatible. Both batteries are 3v but according to spec's the 2032 will last twice as long but is double the thickness. 

It's twice as thick.  3.2mm as opposed to 1.6mm. It will go in but you might have trouble getting the two halves of the key back together. 

• Like 2

That is what I thought. I also wondered if it would bend the contacts on the circuit board that it makes contact with. Also, the cover which clips over to hold it in place on the circuit board may also break, the retaining clips the cover has are very flimsy. I've decided to use the CR2016, its not worth the risk.

Edited by mick787
Add another comment

I had to buy CR1616 batteries recently, also for a ker fob.

I actually checked the data sheets for all the major brands, Duracell, Panasonic, Energizer etc.  What I discovered was that GP Batteries were the most powerful and were very reasonably priced.

• Thanks 1

I did both fobs today. The key simply pops apart (put the button side face down otherwise they will drop out.) No problem getting them back in, but it saves having to do another thing. The transmitter 'module' simply lifts out then it's a careful job of opening the flap on it which holds the Battery. Use a small pen knife to do that on the side, you can see the retaining clips, the clips holding the flap are very flimsy and if you use an instrument screwdriver or similar very small blade, you risk splitting the securing clips on the flap. It pops off once the clip has been lifted away and is a simple job to swap the Battery. I noticed on the inside of the Battery flap it is marked CR2016. Assembly is very straight forward.

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links