Jump to content
Do Not Sell My Personal Information


Anyone has installed led lights in an Avensis T25?


Recommended Posts

Hi everybody!

 

I'm planning to install led lights in my T25. At present I have xenon lights, whose quality is quite bad.

Has anyone installed led lights instead of xenon?

Link to post
Share on other sites

LED bulbs are highly efficient and last a long time, but you'll only be able to benefit from them if your car's manufacturer has installed them - it's currently illegal to add LED bulbs to your car as an aftermarket installation.

It’s up to you I know others have done it not sure if it would pass an mot with led bulbs in, don’t forget to let your insurance know as it’s a modification.


 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Rosgoe said:

LED bulbs are highly efficient and last a long time, but you'll only be able to benefit from them if your car's manufacturer has installed them - it's currently illegal to add LED bulbs to your car as an aftermarket installation.

It’s up to you I know others have done it not sure if it would pass an mot with led bulbs in, don’t forget to let your insurance know as it’s a modification.


 

 

Just seen your not in the uk so not sure what laws apply in your country.

Link to post
Share on other sites

You might have worn out reflectors on your headlamps, which was a common issue on the T25 with xenon lamps, especially pre facelift. Plenty of threads on this forum about it, you might find some useful info regarding it.

They were worn on my car when I bought it (less output than my old T22 halogen headlamps) so I replaced them with some refurbished ones. Night and day difference. If the cause of your problem is worn reflectors, putting LED bulbs in there won't help either.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, xzirri said:

You might have worn out reflectors on your headlamps, which was a common issue on the T25 with xenon lamps, especially pre facelift. Plenty of threads on this forum about it, you might find some useful info regarding it.

They were worn on my car when I bought it (less output than my old T22 halogen headlamps) so I replaced them with some refurbished ones. Night and day difference. If the cause of your problem is worn reflectors, putting LED bulbs in there won't help either.

I know, mine is a T25 facelift, headlights changed 5 years ago and same brightness since new, it's a common fault in these models, the headlights are bad quality.

I've gone through different issues, I changed reflectors, bulbs, and eventually the dealer changed the headlights. All to no success, a bit better but still poor luminosity.

Therefore I'm asking here to see if someone out there has changed the xenon and installed led lights.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I tried the Philips Ultinon a year ago. I took them out after one night and returned them. They look amazing, but the light on the road, especially when wet, was terrible. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/12/2021 at 8:19 AM, noclue said:

I tried the Philips Ultinon a year ago. I took them out after one night and returned them. They look amazing, but the light on the road, especially when wet, was terrible. 

@noclue

I was looking into fitting these, particularly the 'Ultinon Essential' bulbs.

I've got a T25 Facelift. Did the bulbs just fit in without having to fit different connector rings? Was there enough room behind the holders to have space for the cooling fins of the LEDs?

Could you explain what you mean about the poor performance of the Ultinon? I'm not sure I understand why LEDs would perform poorly in the wet? Either with the headlights themselves being wet or the road itself?

Link to post
Share on other sites

See the following as regards the MOT and LED bulbs: 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I wrote this thread for testing only, I know it is not legal to install hid bulbs in a halogen or xenon headlights, and I hope everybody knows it.

Having said that, anyone has tested led bulbs in an Avensis T25 facelift? So far I found a Russian who's testing them in his workshop.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mistemasta said:

I wrote this thread for testing only, I know it is not legal to install hid bulbs in a halogen or xenon headlights, and I hope everybody knows it.

Having said that, anyone has tested led bulbs in an Avensis T25 facelift? So far I found a Russian who's testing them in his workshop.

Keep us informed on your findings.

I am aware of the legal issues regarding the use of LEDs in Headlights that meant for halogen bulbs. But I've also seen LEDs installed in Projector headlamps,(which the H7 bulb setting of the T25 has, ) with no issues or detriment to the light given out whatsoever. Nevertheless, come MOT time, I'd probably just swap them back over.

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Shovon said:

Keep us informed on your findings.

I am aware of the legal issues regarding the use of LEDs in Headlights that meant for halogen bulbs. But I've also seen LEDs installed in Projector headlamps,(which the H7 bulb setting of the T25 has, ) with no issues or detriment to the light given out whatsoever. Nevertheless, come MOT time, I'd probably just swap them back over.

So far I'm still looking for info on it, nobody seems to have done anything, so I supppose I'll have to do the tests myself. I'll keep you posted.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, mistemasta said:

So far I'm still looking for info on it, nobody seems to have done anything, so I supppose I'll have to do the tests myself. I'll keep you posted.

 

I have looked on youtube. This German guy has done it but I can't read German, so I don't know what the details of the swap were.

H7 LED T25 Avensis

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Shovon said:

I have looked on youtube. This German guy has done it but I can't read German, so I don't know what the details of the swap were.

H7 LED T25 Avensis

Yeah, it looks quite good actually, although I'm focused in low beam xenon, which is the one I have now. The quality is bad, from the beginning, it's not a question of ageing. If you need more info, feel free to pm me.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, mistemasta said:

Yeah, it looks quite good actually, although I'm focused in low beam xenon, which is the one I have now. The quality is bad, from the beginning, it's not a question of ageing. If you need more info, feel free to pm me.

The low beam (dipped beam) is the H7 size.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Shovon said:

@noclue

I was looking into fitting these, particularly the 'Ultinon Essential' Bulbs.

I've got a T25 Facelift. Did the bulbs just fit in without having to fit different connector rings? Was there enough room behind the holders to have space for the cooling fins of the LEDs?

Could you explain what you mean about the poor performance of the Ultinon? I'm not sure I understand why LEDs would perform poorly in the wet? Either with the headlights themselves being wet or the road itself?

It's a squeeze, but it all fits in the space, no adapters were required.

The light just didn't seem to project well. Hard to describe, I'm sure the physics and biology of light wavelengths comes into it...

They just didn't seem to have the power. I could see a shadow of my car from the headlights of cars behind me! 

 

Tbh, they were dangerous imo!

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, noclue said:

It's a squeeze, but it all fits in the space, no adapters were required.

The light just didn't seem to project well. Hard to describe, I'm sure the physics and biology of light wavelengths comes into it...

They just didn't seem to have the power. I could see a shadow of my car from the headlights of cars behind me! 

 

Tbh, they were dangerous imo!

Wow! And these were with Philips Ultinon and not the basic ones either?

Apparently these have to be adjusted by rotating the the bulbs to get the correct alignment and there are markings in degrees that are on  the bulbs themselves?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep! The 150 quid bulbs!

As I recall, they didn't require any rotation, as they were the same as the std h7 bulbs.

Of course, this is purely my opinion and experience. Try them by all means. But buy from somewhere that will accept returns.

...and don't keep them "cOs tHeY LoOk wEll wHiTe" 😆. Please try them at night 😆

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Has anyone tried or had any experience with the kits from retrofitlab? They have one for my car. The bowl is metallic, it's bi-xenon but with the option of not using that feature.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...




Forums


News


Membership