Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Issues with MMT auto gear box (flashing N) - Toyota refuse to do anything about it

wadi16

Hi all,

I just wanted some insights or advice into something. I have a 2020 Aygo auto and it's been driven 1,100 miles. Over the last 6 months when I try to reverse from standstill it refuses to move and flashes N on my dashboard for 10 seconds before moving to E or R.

I looked this up and it seems to be a common issue with MMT gearboxes and is often an issue in the electronic clutch sensor/actuator

My Aygo went in for a service today and i ordered a diagnostic for this today. They said nothing came up on their end and that it's fine. I then sent the branch some videos of this occuring but they said it has to be a fault that literally happens why they test it. I'd say this happens about 3 in 10 drives (not all of them). They said they cannot take the car apart because they have no proof it has happened in front of them.

What should I do? i don't feel safe driving my car as it happened recently when I moved out of traffic using a 3 point turn - it's really scary as oncoming cars have no awareness that you are unable to move. Can they really just give me back my car without taking it apart? Any insight of this happening to anyone else would be useful to me

I can see other people with similar issues got their electronic clutch repaired but my branch seem to be really not willing to do anything about this safety issue.....

Problem is if it is an intermittent fault, isn't present when the dealer has it, and no fault codes are displayed, then the dealer has no evidence to support a warranty claim.

26 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Problem is if it is an intermittent fault, isn't present when the dealer has it, and no fault codes are displayed, then the dealer has no evidence to support a warranty claim.

... and doesn't know where to look or what to repair/change.

This policy isn't specific to Toyota or a dealer, from my experience of owning cars for over 40 years it's normal practice for all manufacturers and dealers.

I suppose the only thing to do is wait till it becomes more frequent? I understand it's not the centre's issue and it's more a Toyota protocol. However, it just doesn't feel very safe when the gearbox fails in the middle of traffic (not safe for anyone on the road, not just myself).

The annoyance is the issue is well documented to relate to MMT and the electronic actuator. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

I see a few others on here have had this issue and i was wondering how they dealt with it, and if it had to occur at their centres to be looked at more closely

The flashing N is telling you to place it in neutral, go from E to N wait a few seconds then put it into R, it's just the way these semi autos are they can be a bit slow on the uptake

• Like 1

I've seen on another thread that it can be the actuator that is the cause of the problem. I mentioned this when I booked mine in for a service online, it's for Wednesday the 17th March, so I'll let you know what they say. But I have just been dealing with it as a quirk up until now.

20 minutes ago, Wiz201 said:

I've seen on another thread that it can be the actuator that is the cause of the problem. I mentioned this when I booked mine in for a service online, it's for Wednesday the 17th March, so I'll let you know what they say. But I have just been dealing with it as a quirk up until now.

ah yes, that's what i did as well. I also sent them an video of the issue. I hope they are able to pick it up for you. I was hoping to get it sorted like some others have before it gets more frequent/worse. Best of luck Wiz201 :)

• Like 1

My MMT Aygo periodically did this too, but it was purely user error as I was changing mode too quickly.  The electronically actuated clutch takes some time to move and moving from forward to reverse without stopping in neutral doesn’t give the clutch sufficient time to fully operate.  Your problem might be a fault, but do try to be a little more deliberate when changing gears and see whether this helps. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

First of all we other MMT users can say that it is abnormal behaviour. It should not flash N and get stuck in N. The actuator is where your problem lies and it is a very expensive repair. I have had our actuator replaced under warranty a few years ago for flashing N and stopping by the roadside. That is ultimately what is going to happen. Your car is under guarantee. If the dealer does not listen, write to Toyota head office in your country. It does two things. It can force a repair and it will be a documentation for future repair if your dealer won't help you. They might try to reprogram it but that did not work for us. Having owned an MMT Aygo my ultimate view is that it is an Achilles heel in this other wise fine car. It will give you problem one day and it is going to be expensive. Why Toyota insists in using this sure to fail transmission (besides cost) beats me. It lowers Toyota's image.

• Like 1