Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Blue smoke coming from the exhaust pipe

ChristopherToyota

Blue smoke coming from the exhaust pipe
Hi,,
I have a Toyota Avensis t27 2.0 diesel from 2009, and it has been smoking from the exhaust (blue-white smoke) in the last 3 month some few times. There is no type of leak. I saw some discussion regarding this issue, but I have not found any solution.
I cleaned the EGR and checked all injector if they might be spraying too much or too little fuel. Nothing seems to be wrong.
On some platforms, people are talking about the 5th injector, which leaves to try cleaning it.
I do not know what may be wrong, but I bet there is something wrong with the 5th injector.
Anyone that have experience with this problem?

I had this problem a couple of years ago but it was not constant, just intermittent. I read something on this forum about loose or faulty wiring on the 5th injector and took it out although not fully as it is under the fuel pump on mine (2008 T180) and I jiggled the wires about. The other thread the person actually replaced the wiring from the 5th injector which solved his problem but that was beyond my expertise but the jiggling seemed to solve the problem and the injector was nice and clean as well. No problems with it since. I have however recently had an intermittent problem with another injector which I cannot isolate and neither can diagnostic experts, so any ideas would be welcome

I seem to see a lot of taxis with exactly same blue smoke blow out under acceleration seems to be 5th injecter spray too much fuel and it burning it off .

• 1 month later...

I took the 5th injector out and checked if it was in good condition. It looked brand new. When I bought the car the car's egr was completely blocked with black burnt fuel, which made me think "the black death" has reached to the 5th injector that could block the injector from spraying fuel. Is was wrong. It looked perfectly fine. As illustrated on the picture I could only get a tinny black stuff out, but that is normal, because you have to bare in mind it is fresh burnt fuel from the engine.

image.thumb.png.5efe6cf48f297955ca705efcd82cad99.pngIngen tilgængelig beskrivelse.

So my thoughts went towards the normal injector as I had read if the coding of the injectors is not correct it will cause smoke.
Keep in mind that the smoke was getting worse with time. In every single trip around the city, it would leave a cloud behind me. But I was still skeptical about the 5th injector that either spray too much fuel or it is completely locked. As shown in the picture, I tried to block the fuel that goes to the 5th injector.

image.thumb.png.6ae189696278d8b949e94de57af7f4cd.png

I drove 4-5 days with this mounted and there was no sign of smoke coming from the exhaust. There was sometimes some little buffs when I really press the throttle to the floor, but at least it was much better. The 5th injector also keep the exhaust temperatur high by spraying fuel, which helps the DPF regen. That means the 5th injecor didn't have the oportunity to get the exhaust temperatur high enough to help the DPF regen, which didn't lead to big clouds of smoke in the city and highway. It makes me think maybe the smoke is caused by the ECU not knowing when the DPF regen actually have to take place. 

Anyway, I took the clamp off today and the car did not smoke for the first few kilometers, but suddenly it smoked as it did before installing the clamp.

What do you think? Is the problem the 5th injector that sprays too much or too little fuel? Or is it the ECU that is planning the DPF regeneration in the city, which it not should do, because the DPF traditionally will regenerate whilst on the motorway?

I forgot to mention that it immediately got worse after I took the 5th injector out to inspect it by looks.

• 2 months later...
On 5/12/2021 at 11:32 PM, ChristopherToyota said:

I forgot to mention that it immediately got worse after I took the 5th injector out to inspect it by looks.

Hi, did you solve the problem?