Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Back carpet of car is wet, whilst front is dry

Miss AG

Hello, I have had this problem for about a year and it’s really driving me crackers! When it hasn’t rained, it’s ok, but as we get a lot of rainy days in England, I am always greeted with mould in the back of my car, on the carpet. It’s really strange because the front carpet is dry (nothing wrong with passenger side) and car seats are dry but the back carpet is wet. When I press onto it, you see the water coming up. Whenever I get into my car, it has a horrible, damp smell and every week, I have to clean all the mould. I’m a very clean person, so as you can imagine, this makes me feel sick! I’ve been to my local garage, who said they haven’t a clue. He said they’ll need to strip the car out and then use a hose to see where the leak is coming from. 

Does anyone have any idea what this is? Please help if you can. Thank you.

Have you checked under the boot carpet to see whether there is any water there?

Check the door and body seals on the side that leaks.

Thank you both, for your replies. 😀

I have checked the boot and it’s dry. 

I have checked both doors and windows (to make sure they are properly closed) and they are ok. I did think it could be the window/door seals but if that was the case, the front seals would be the same but I don’t get leaks in the front. Also, I hardly ever have anyone sitting in the back, so the back doors don’t get used as much as the front doors.

Okay, a quick test to eliminate the door or seals is to trap some folded paper towel between the bottom of the door and plastic sill cover.

Is the car parked on an incline by any chance?

Hello Stan, thanks for your response.

No incline, it’s parked on a level ground.

Paper towel - great idea! I will do this first thing tomorrow morning.

Thanks.

13 hours ago, Miss AG said:

Thank you both, for your replies. 😀

I have checked the boot and it’s dry. 

I have checked both doors and windows (to make sure they are properly closed) and they are ok. I did think it could be the window/door seals but if that was the case, the front seals would be the same but I don’t get leaks in the front. Also, I hardly ever have anyone sitting in the back, so the back doors don’t get used as much as the front doors.

Have you checked the boot under the carpet and have you removed the spare wheel or whatever you have there to see under it? Just to make sure it is not from the rear lights which seems to be the most common Toyota water leak problem along with metal perforation glue seals. 👍