Do Not Sell My Personal Information

General Advice - Yaris 12v Battery Keep Draining - Warranty Issue

mikes1978

Hi. 

Hope you guys can assist.

I have K reg yaris hybrid I bought from registered Toyota dealer - Toyota approved Garage attached. It was bought used 2nd hand

The 12v starter Battery keeps draining so i cant start it, or open doors. Still under warranty

Its not left for long periods and new Battery was dead in two weeks.

AA called out three times, and always blamed the Battery as faulty.

I've taken it back to the Toyota Dealer - Garage 3 times now. 

1. First time said everything was ok. Gave them benefit of doubt
  2. Second visit, I had to raise hell to get a new battery fitted for free. New battery dead after 2 weeks!
  3. Third time. They cant find the problem so wont accept the car back for a refund even though its under warranty

Any ideas what could be the problem. I heard it could even be a faulty pcb or light or anything. But i dont know what to do.

It is their job to find the problem, no?

There' s no lights left on, Cameras installed etc etc

Any advice would be great

Thanks Michael

K reg Yaris? If it is a 2017, the reg would either be 66, 17 or 67, not K reg.

How long have you had the car?

When you say it is not left for long periods, how long is it left for? Does it do long or short runs - roughly how many miles per journey?

Hey Man thanks for the reply

Indeed you are correct it is 2017 

I've only had it since July last year. It gets used every few days, the longest it sits for is 3 -4  days.  

Theres usually a longer trip of more than 45 mind to and hour each way at the weekends. Aswell as running around during the week. I dont have kids so there is no 5 min school runs.

After the first call out from AA they told me about keeping the engine running for 45 min to an hour every week. After the first call out,  I can honestly say that it gets at least that.

After the new Battery was installled, it was used for some longer journeys. 

I was ill over a weekend so it sat for 3 - 4 days. Then it was dead again. And that was a brand new Battery in two weeks.

Thanks

Michael

Does the interior light work correctly ? Remove the bulb from the boot light and see if that helps, have you tested the alternator ? And check the output at different engine rev's

do you have your phone paired via bluetooth ?

Under the Consumer Rights Act 2015, purchasers  have a 30 day period from taking ownership within which the goods can be rejected. Most used car schemes have a similar period. As you bought the car in July 2020, you are well outside the period within which you can reject the car.

The Act also provides protection for the first six months  - giving the purchaser the right to reject a product if repairs have been unsuccessful. See 'The first six month' section of https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-rights-act     However, again, you are now outside the first six month period.

With Toyota hybrids, the 12v Battery is not used to start the car - it powers ancillary electrical systems. During periods of little or no use, Toyota provided the following advice last year - 

Does the car have smart entry. If so, when parked, do you keep the keys out of range of the car?

Hi.

Well the problem has been persistent since end of last year and it was returned to them in January. the time before that was November. So its an ongoing issue that they haven't resolved. Ive seen that report on the before and it does get used like that. I was shocked when it didn't start after the Battery was changed.

I understood the Consumer right act changed in Jan 2015 so that they are liable for this. I understand the responsibility  is now been transferred to the seller to resolve such problems for 6 years... don't know if that's true, But that is from Which? website.

This is only based on a little research I've done. Under this new act they have 30 days to resolve the issue. 

In answer to other questions.

Does the car have smart entry. Nope

If so, when parked, do you keep the keys out of range of the car? its parked 30 meters away in nearby carpark

Considering they say that the car is ok and they cant find a problem. 

I was thinking to ask them to swap it for another car......They can sell this one on if they truly believe its ok.

Otherwise im gonna have to carry around a jumpstarted with me everywhere I go just in case.

Considering I have written reports from AA saying there is an issue with the Battery, and that I didn't just leave my lights on. I would have thought that I am in a good standing if I had to raise the issue higher and get an ombudsman involved. Which I really cannot be bothered to do.

What you think?

1 hour ago, flash22 said:

Does the interior light work correctly ? Remove the bulb from the boot light and see if that helps, have you tested the alternator ? And check the output at different engine rev's

do you have your phone paired via Bluetooth ?

Hey 

I've heard about the boot light maybe not switching off and causing problems. I will try it if I cant get anywhere with them. The cars still with them

They say they have done full diagnostic and cant find an issue. So I am guessing they have checked the alternator. 

Yes phone is paired but my car is kept a long way away from my house. Like maybe 50 metres. so it not connected when the cars off.

Thanks for the advice

Michael

If Battery been changed few times and dies shortly after you had problems with either charging the Battery while using the car or draining Battery while car is parked. The dealer should find the problem and keep the car for two weeks or more to try to find the cause of the issue. Your driving should be sufficient to keep the 12v battery in good state of charge. 

8 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

If battery been changed few times and dies shortly after you had problems with either charging the battery while using the car or draining battery while car is parked. The dealer should find the problem and keep the car for two weeks or more to try to find the cause of the issue. Your driving should be sufficient to keep the 12v battery in good state of charge. 

I would think so. I think I need to go and raise hell to get them to do it though

22 hours ago, mikes1978 said:

I understood the Consumer right act changed in Jan 2015 so that they are liable for this. I understand the responsibility  is now been transferred to the seller to resolve such problems for 6 years... don't know if that's true, But that is from Which? website.

This is only based on a little research I've done. Under this new act they have 30 days to resolve the issue. 

22 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Under the Consumer Rights Act 2015, purchasers  have a 30 day period from taking ownership within which the goods can be rejected. Most used car schemes have a similar period. As you bought the car in July 2020, you are well outside the period within which you can reject the car.

The 30 days applied from when you took ownership of the vehicle, which was July 2020 - so that period no longer applies as I stated previously.

You are also outside the 'first six months' period, so the onus is now on you to prove the fault was there when you took ownership of the vehicle - ie the fault existed in July 2020. 

Your contract of sale is with the dealer - not the manufacturer. So if you have adequate proof the fault was there when you took delivery, any small claims action re rejecting the vehicle will be against the dealer, not Toyota.

Any semi competent mechanic can find the cause of Battery drain.

Meter current from Battery.

Remove fuses one by one, checking current flow each time. If no change, replace fuse and go to next.

Repeat till fuse found.

Identify what parts are served by fuse . Check.

(this all takes time but can be shortened by starting with the most likely culprits: internal lights, security system, infotainment)

Your Toyota garage are pants. 

I write as an incompetent DIYer