Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bodywork when buying used cars

Chriss27

Many years ago I had a Renault Clio and the wheel arches started to rust and learnt my lesson that this was caused by the build up of grime over the years on the inside of wheel arch. Ever since I have always kept this area clean

I know paint corrosion development has moved on a bit since and some cars have plastic covers now but still today when buying a used car from a dealer they like to show how clean and tidy the bodywork is in the outside but always forget to clean under the wheel arches and there is always a really big build up of grime on some of the inside metal area exposed to the elements 

Maybe it’s just me...

I hose out the wheel arches when washing either car.

• Like 1

I definately do those areas spring and late autumn, plus if I been anywhere dirty I tackle it then also.

1 hour ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

I hose out the wheel arches when washing either car.

Same here, Devon country roads get muddy after any rain and it's surprising how much mud comes out onto the drive/road when washing the wheel arches.

Yeah it's one of the first things I do when I've bought a car, or im doing something to my folks car, I'm often surprised (not really nowadays) when you can get almost kilo 's of mud from those arches and cranny's.

Sometimes I think you can almost clean them out too much tho, but post winter I think is the most important.

I always wonder what to apply in that area, I've just put some grease in mine this week, but I wonder if there s anything better people use?

I also can't fully understand the fact that the o/s seems to rust out and gather mud more than the n/s and I seems the same in other countries too.

• Like 1