Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Strange sound driving me insane

SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS

Guys my 2008 Aygo is driving me insane with this strange sound that appears only when moving, regardless of speed, but gets louder the faster I drive, and decreases as I slow down, it almost sounds like an electric sound, so hard to describe, also sort of sounds like something rubbing against the tyre wall. Its definitely coming from the engine bay area I think. Its not any louder with the window down. 

Its been happening for a few months now but Is definitely getting more prominent.

I've added a video from my drive tonight. If you concentrate from 30 seconds onwards with your volume UP you should hear it...

If its like a whining sound coming from the engine area and it has progressed, it could maybe the gearbox! Have you ever changed the gearbox oil? If so get it done and see what happens if it eliminates, maybe theres not enough oil!

5 hours ago, - A - Go - said:

If its like a whining sound coming from the engine area and it has progressed, it could maybe the gearbox! Have you ever changed the gearbox oil? If so get it done and see what happens if it eliminates, maybe theres not enough oil!

Cheers. I did think of the gear box. Thought of the drive shaft too. I've heard those sort of sounds before but not this one...its highly irritating to be honest. I know she's old but I maintain her regardless of cost because I like her so much.

I'll get the gearbox oil changed ASAP...must admit its the only thing I haven't touched since purchase 3 yrs ago

Hi, this sounds like bearings and or gears or differential, you will need to check tyres pressure is equal both sides, you also need to notice if noise is present at neutral, under acceleration or de accelerating, in turns, and at what rpm, try with car stationary in N and rise the rpm,  check rear axle too, sometimes rear bearings sounds like front, can’t easily locate the noise where is coming  from. Sometimes worn wheel bearings only sounds bad at specific speeds and when wiggle the wheel no movement or grinding,. Oil, don’t just drop off, use a clean pan and inspect for metals inside with light and magnets to make sure there is nothing. 
Good luck 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Hi, this sounds like bearings and or gears or differential, you will need to check tyres pressure is equal both sides, you also need to notice if noise is present at neutral, under acceleration or de accelerating, in turns, and at what rpm, try with car stationary in N and rise the rpm,  check rear axle too, sometimes rear bearings sounds like front, can’t easily locate the noise where is coming  from. Sometimes worn wheel bearings only sounds bad at specific speeds and when wiggle the wheel no movement or grinding,. Oil, don’t just drop off, use a clean pan and inspect for metals inside with light and magnets to make sure there is nothing. 
Good luck 

Cheese Tony,

Wow thats a list indeed.

I'm almost certain that the noise is ONLY present whilst moving..as in accelerating and deceleration...and is louder the faster you go, it isn't one of those issues that appears when turning left or right etc.

I checked my tyre pressure just 2 days ago.

I feel its either gearbox related, wheel bearing related, or alternator related.

I hope I find the cause.

Just had a quote from my dealership...28.00 for gearbox oil.. I need 1.7L he states...not cheap! Just to see if it is that.

• Thanks 1

is it related to engine speed or road speed?

alternator will raise and lower as the engine revs change 

you can eliminate the alternator if you pop the belt off for a brief test

You can hear it changes with road speed and de-acceleration  so it's something in the drive line

Drivers side front wheel bearing

• Like 1

If it's alternator related then it will change when you rev the engine with the car standing still.

Since it's only when moving I believe that eliminates the alternator.

I agree guys re the alternator. I'm beginning to think it is the wheel bearing, which side god knows, but its booked in at 11am tomorrow at a local garage, he said he'd put it on the ramp and give it the look over. I'll report back the results. 

Might skip on the gear box oil change for now, or should I do it anyway

10 hours ago, SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS said:

I agree guys re the alternator. I'm beginning to think it is the wheel bearing, which side god knows, but its booked in at 11am tomorrow at a local garage, he said he'd put it on the ramp and give it the look over. I'll report back the results. 

Might skip on the gear box oil change for now, or should I do it anyway

Good question.

What your car manual recommends? Gear oils on many cars in recent years are “filled for life” although there is no such a think and wherever is oil and heat oil always needs to be refreshed at some point. I do change mine every 50-60k miles and doesn’t look that bad. Maybe best to find what causes the noise first and if nothing else shows any signs of wear and possible reason for the whining then check and change the gear oil.

If you find it’s a wheel bearing, fix that first, drive the car for a week and then change the oil, just to make sure the first job fixed the noise and new oil as preventative maintenance. Sometimes after gear oil been changed new noises are likely to come up., especially if the car is old and gear oil has never been changed or never on regular basis. 

12 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Good question.

What your car manual recommends? Gear oils on many cars in recent years are “filled for life” although there is no such a think and wherever is oil and heat oil always needs to be refreshed at some point. I do change mine every 50-60k miles and doesn’t look that bad. Maybe best to find what causes the noise first and if nothing else shows any signs of wear and possible reason for the whining then check and change the gear oil.

If you find it’s a wheel bearing, fix that first, drive the car for a week and then change the oil, just to make sure the first job fixed the noise and new oil as preventative maintenance. Sometimes after gear oil been changed new noises are likely to come up., especially if the car is old and gear oil has never been changed or never on regular basis. 

Cheers Mate,

I feel totally stressed out today, took my car to the mechanic, showed him my video from above, he took it for a spin, came back and said that he didn't need to put it on the ramp to check the wheel bearings etc...and said 110% its your gearbox! He recommended i check the gearbox oil first as the cheapest option and top up if required!

I just found some cheap oil at euro 14.84 for 2L of 75W gl4 spec, that's cheap! Yrs a cheapo brand Triple QX but its better than 28.00 at my Toyota dealer or 35.00 plus else where.

But I'm thinking...if the oil is low, how did it drop? And if it is low...has it caused damage to the gearbox? And finally if I drain it and fill fresh oil...and its still making that sound...where do I start finding a replacement gearbox and is it a difficult DIY job?

Help Helppppp please guys.

Hi

Just to add, just received a call from a very close family friend mechanic, explained the issue to him, he recons changing the oil could make it worse, recommended adding an additive, some sort of gel formula which might fix the issue, he's asked me to bring it tomorrow at lunch for him to check the oil level and top up and go from there!

if it is the gearbox then its worn out , new oil or additives wont fix a worn out bearing

id suggest you have someone from a trusted garage road test it rather than guess at it , hopefully its a wheel bearing 

Hi Sam, 

did sound to me like a gearbox or wheel bearings indeed but wheels should be checked too to eliminate any errors. You can do that too, just lift up and wiggle the wheels holding 12 and 6 then 9 and 3 a clock, spin each wheel and listen to them. If it’s the gearbox then we have two scenarios bearings or gears or perhaps general wear on both through the years and mileage. Oil needs to come out and be inspected with light and steer in a clean pan, to try to figure what would be the damage and possible cure without repair or replace. You can buy cheap GL4 oil, change it and then after you drive for a while put additive in to try make it quieter. And maybe just drive it like that until gone completely. There are many whining cars that are still in service and it’s not an mot failure. 👍 Other option used gearbox from car with lower miles. 

28 minutes ago, steveo3002 said:

if it is the gearbox then its worn out , new oil or additives wont fix a worn out bearing

id suggest you have someone from a trusted garage road test it rather than guess at it , hopefully its a wheel bearing 

I agree. Booked in today at 12pm. The cars perfectly drivable at the moment. Pulls like a dream. Only done 68k. Its just that sound.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

Hi Sam, 

did sound to me like a gearbox or wheel bearings indeed but wheels should be checked too to eliminate any errors. You can do that too, just lift up and wiggle the wheels holding 12 and 6 then 9 and 3 a clock, spin each wheel and listen to them. If it’s the gearbox then we have two scenarios bearings or gears or perhaps general wear on both through the years and mileage. Oil needs to come out and be inspected with light and steer in a clean pan, to try to figure what would be the damage and possible cure without repair or replace. You can buy cheap GL4 oil, change it and then after you drive for a while put additive in to try make it quieter. And maybe just drive it like that until gone completely. There are many whining cars that are still in service and it’s not an mot failure. 👍 Other option used gearbox from car with lower miles. 

Cheers Tony.

Its booked in at 12pm. I'll get him to check each wheel jacked up first. Otherwise I think my plan is as follows..at the weekend..

1. Check and inspect each wheel for bearings

2. Drain gearbox oil...note how much oil drains out AND inspect oil with magnet for debris if any and bag it as evidence lol

3. Refill fresh oil...cheapy 75w gl4 from eurocarparts...15.00 for 2L, drive for a week, see how it goes, then consider adding an additive such Lucus gearbox treatment

4. Maybe live with it until it dies, however is that dangerous driving with a faulty gearbox though?

5 minutes ago, SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS said:

Cheers Tony.

Its booked in at 12pm. I'll get him to check each wheel jacked up first. Otherwise I think my plan is as follows..at the weekend..

1. Check and inspect each wheel for bearings

2. Drain gearbox oil...note how much oil drains out AND inspect oil with magnet for debris if any and bag it as evidence lol

3. Refill fresh oil...cheapy 75w gl4 from eurocarparts...15.00 for 2L, drive for a week, see how it goes, then consider adding an additive such Lucus gearbox treatment

4. Maybe live with it until it dies, however is that dangerous driving with a faulty gearbox though?

That’s right, exactly what would have done myself if in situation like this. Not dangerous at all, at least for now and many more miles. When the gearbox comes to the point that it’s not possible to be inside the car and whining like a wild animal in the jungle you may well be decided to scrap sell or dispose the car by any mean. My car has two little niggles, I was thinking spending money on to make it perfect but then decided to just drive and after 100k miles nothing got worse or caused any concerns in my safety or been an mot issue. I will just keep it that way and enjoy another 100k miles hopefully and then will see perhaps a new Corolla or something similar. 

If it is the gearbox and the rest of your car is ok, and knowing that you love it, why not consider a recon gearbox. You probably looked on eBay altrady, but prices from £175 through to £350, but I would be looking for a seller with good reputation, maybe local to you, 50 mile radius, that would supply/fit/warrant the package. Just a thought.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Catlover said:

If it is the gearbox and the rest of your car is ok, and knowing that you love it, why not consider a recon gearbox. You probably looked on eBay altrady, but prices from £175 through to £350, but I would be looking for a seller with good reputation, maybe local to you, 50 mile radius, that would supply/fit/warrant the package. Just a thought.

plus a new clutch makes it good for many years to come 

• Like 2

Cheers for all the input guys, much appreciated.

To update, I took my vehicle into the garage this afternoon, the first thing he did was a test drive and agreed that he could hear the noise I referred to! 

He then put my car on the ramp and checked each wheel and confirmed that the drivers front wheel was making a slight sound but there was no play in the wheel.

He then moved onto my gearbox, and drained the oil, in his words...in 35 years I have never witnessed such poor looking oil, its probably never ever been changed! He then refilled the box with new oil, however what he did was fill 1L of new 75w gl4 oil in, and then poured in 0.7L of Lucas Heavy Duty Oil Stabiliser...this is where I'm a bit concerned but didn't question him as he is our family mechanic for years...

A. Should he have poured in the recommended 1.7L of new gearbox 75w gl4 oil AND THEN pour in the 0.7L of the lucas additive?

B. Im unsure why he used the Lucas heavy duty oil stabiliser...shouldn't he have used the LUCAS OIL TRANSMISSION GEARBOX FIX STOPS SLIP CLEANS LUBRICATES STOPS LEAKS instead?

He had the car in for nearly 2hrs checking things over and didn't charge me any labour, just the oils at 27.00 all in.

I'm worried now as to whether all will be okay or should I drain it and buy more oil and do it myself? It didn't look easy as in locating and then pouring the oil into the gearbox!

The result...interesting...the gears feel smoother and feel better, i don't know if im imagining it! However, the noise is still very present only now....I can clearly hear it is coming from the front drivers wheel...hence now I think its definitely the wheel bearing !!! I'd like to change it but I'm worried about how ill get the old bearing out and pushing in the new!!

• Like 1

IMG-20210310-WA0004.jpg

IMG-20210310-WA0004.jpg

IMG-20210310-WA0006.jpg

• Like 1

Just to add guys, he noticed a slow oil leak towards the rear of my engine block, he wiped it totally clean to monitor where its coming from, I recall someone on here once mentioned that there is a common issue with a specific part, was it a sensor gasket or something, cant remember, but everyone says its nothing to worry about and won't reduce the engine oil level which I still don't get if oils leaking!!!

A gearbox should not be overfilled, and very often it is difficult to judge when a gearbox is full and not over full. Often it’s when oil comes out of the fill hole, often in difficult place.                 
If your gearbox takes 1.7 litre to refill then that’s what should be used. If the mechanic put in 1.7 of gearbox oil then .7 of the Lucas , the gearbox would be well over full. Actually I doubt it would take 2.4 litre, it would have overflowed and wasted a lot of oil.                
Obviously the Lucas has been formulated to avoid “dry starts”, it advertises that fact. So it’s important for the recommended amount be in the box. It will cost the gears and bearings so the box benefits with a wet start.                   
Is this the mechanic you regularly use and trust????  If Yes, why would you want to drain and waste £27 of oil???  Relax, and enjoy a quieter car.  One review I just read of the Lucas oil used on your car, the guy was going to scrap the gearbox, but he used that Lucas oil and got another 40,000 miles from the unit.  Why waste money, if you got too much money and want to get rid of it I will pass on my address to you - a cheque will be fine.                
Wheel bearing noise.  The bearing won’t get quieter, but it more then likely will last a long time, so why worry too much now, when it’s still cold weather, when you could easily wait until a nice summer day.  As for concerns about removing/replacing the bearing. I don’t know the configuration of the Aygo, but heat and expansion usually helps to loosen up metal adhesion. It could be relatively simple, but there again.                                       
“A slow oil leak, nothing to worry about” is just  that - slow and nothing to worry about.  Presumably this is engine oil. Is you engine oil level reducing?? Probably not, as it’s a “slow and nothing to worry about” leak.  You wondering now why if you losing oil via a leak, why is the engine oil not dropping.  That’s because it’s a “slow and nothing to worry about” leak. The amount lost at the leak must be so small compared to the 3.5 litres (or whatever” that’s in the engine sump.  And I not going to tell you this (close your ears), but some of the petrol injected into your engine (just small but nothing to worry about amounts) will be getting past your partly worn piston rings and contaminating your engine oil. That’s why it is important to maintain oil changes - but nothing to worry about!

I guess Sam, you are never going to buy a new car.  Why?  You won’t be able to find anything to do and you will be bored.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Catlover said:

A gearbox should not be overfilled, and very often it is difficult to judge when a gearbox is full and not over full. Often it’s when oil comes out of the fill hole, often in difficult place.                 
If your gearbox takes 1.7 litre to refill then that’s what should be used. If the mechanic put in 1.7 of gearbox oil then .7 of the Lucas , the gearbox would be well over full. Actually I doubt it would take 2.4 litre, it would have overflowed and wasted a lot of oil.                
Obviously the Lucas has been formulated to avoid “dry starts”, it advertises that fact. So it’s important for the recommended amount be in the box. It will cost the gears and bearings so the box benefits with a wet start.                   
Is this the mechanic you regularly use and trust????  If Yes, why would you want to drain and waste £27 of oil???  Relax, and enjoy a quieter car.  One review I just read of the Lucas oil used on your car, the guy was going to scrap the gearbox, but he used that Lucas oil and got another 40,000 miles from the unit.  Why waste money, if you got too much money and want to get rid of it I will pass on my address to you - a cheque will be fine.                
Wheel bearing noise.  The bearing won’t get quieter, but it more then likely will last a long time, so why worry too much now, when it’s still cold weather, when you could easily wait until a nice summer day.  As for concerns about removing/replacing the bearing. I don’t know the configuration of the Aygo, but heat and expansion usually helps to loosen up metal adhesion. It could be relatively simple, but there again.                                       
“A slow oil leak, nothing to worry about” is just  that - slow and nothing to worry about.  Presumably this is engine oil. Is you engine oil level reducing?? Probably not, as it’s a “slow and nothing to worry about” leak.  You wondering now why if you losing oil via a leak, why is the engine oil not dropping.  That’s because it’s a “slow and nothing to worry about” leak. The amount lost at the leak must be so small compared to the 3.5 litres (or whatever” that’s in the engine sump.  And I not going to tell you this (close your ears), but some of the petrol injected into your engine (just small but nothing to worry about amounts) will be getting past your partly worn piston rings and contaminating your engine oil. That’s why it is important to maintain oil changes - but nothing to worry about!

I guess Sam, you are never going to buy a new car.  Why?  You won’t be able to find anything to do and you will be bored.

Hi and Good Morning.

Just wanted to begin by saying, you made me smile all the way through your thread...and by the end I thought to myself...he made my day bless, and its only 7.20am! 

So thank you.

I shall dwell on everything you said.

Have a lovely day catlover

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The mechanic done a good job as described. Just enjoy your car and wait the noise to become louder and weather warmer then you can visit him again and maybe change the bearing too. You can buy a new car that will require a lots of attention and fixing, just pick something German Audi, vw, bmw or Mercedes 🚘😂👌