Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Strange sound driving me insane

SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS

13 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

The mechanic done a good job as described. Just enjoy your car and wait the noise to become louder and weather warmer then you can visit him again and maybe change the bearing too. You can buy a new car that will require a lots of attention and fixing, just pick something German Audi, vw, bmw or Mercedes 🚘😂👌

Lol. I agree. Germans are for the gutsy ones! 

Guess I'll be living with the noise bearing fir awhile then!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys, 

Update, re that dreaded strange sound, I couldn't live with it any longer, purchased a pair of new wheel bearings at 40.00 the pair, paid 50.00 to have the old ones removed and the new ones pushed in, and a further 80.00 in labour to remove and refit my hubs...and the noise remains!!!!! 

I could swear it was the bearings because as you turn the wheels whilst on the ramp jacked up I/we could hear the sound but after replacing the bearings it disappeared...until the actual test drive!

What could it be? 

I'm thinking it could be the drive shaft???

Or the gearbox

I cant think of anything else!

Anybody?

20210407_221002.jpg

Guys. I need help.

Okay so I really assumed it was the front wheel bearings! For the life of me I dont know why I nor my silly mechanic didn't think to do what I did today by jacking the car up, wheels off the ground, start her up, in 5th gear, and having a look at whats going on underneath!

I've attached a video and I think we can all conclude its the gearbox knackered.

My questions are..

1. I've found a gearbox via eBay 175.00 delivered with 32k on it APPARENTLY, should I risk it?

2. If I go for that gearbox, I'll need a new clutch kit, I recall everyone recommending the larger clutch kit for the Yaris, but how do I source it on say eurocarparts because my reg plate refers to an aygo???

3. Ill need new gearbox oil too, and to think I just replaced that 2 weeks ago! Any recommendations on oil?

I really want to get this right this time. Please help

1) So, Sam, you back to March 10th when replacing gearbox was discussed!
A 2nd hand gearbox for £175 delivered. Any guarantee? 
If you don’t replace the gearbox that means the car is useless, maybe not exactly now but sometime in the future. What does that mean to you?              
2) Have you asked Eurocarparts if the kit they recommend for a 2008 Aygo is the larger clutch? The original Aygo/C1/107 fitted was 7”, the Yaris clutch is 7.25” (had the clutch on the wife’s C1 changed after 30k miles).                  
3) get you mechanic to catch the oil in current gearbox - in a clean receptacle!

2 hours ago, Catlover said:

If you don’t replace the gearbox that means the car is useless, maybe not exactly now but sometime in the future. What does that mean to you?              
2) Have you asked Eurocarparts if the kit they recommend for a 2008 Aygo is the larger clutch? The original Aygo/C1/107 fitted was 7”, the Yaris clutch is 7.25” (had the clutch on the wife’s C1 changed after 30k miles).                  
3) get you mechanic to catch the oil in current gearbox - in a clean receptacle!

Thank you so much for your input.

Re the 2nd hand gearbox, comes with a 1 month guarantee! I know !

I'll be ringing euro tomorrow,  have had a banging headache all day today.

Do you think catching the oil is a good idea, won't it be contaminated?

10 hours ago, SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS said:

How long ago was the fresh oil and additive put in?  3 weeks? It will be clean, so a visual examination will be easy (if caught in clean container). That will show up and metal pieces there OR NOT.

Of course you can just put fresh stuff in.

one month warranty on the gearbox - give it a good thrashing, and see what the box tells you. Leave your “rose tinted spectacles” at home and really listen for sounds, and good movement through the gears. Of course you could jack it up, like you just done with the existing box and listen for rumbles.

bug city store sells the "updated" clutch

or search for a clutch for a later car such as 2011 should have came with the better one 

16 hours ago, Catlover said:

Thank you so much for your input.

Re the 2nd hand gearbox, comes with a 1 month guarantee! I know !

I'll be ringing euro tomorrow,  have had a banging headache all day today.

Cheers guys, intending to drive down to pick up this gearbox after lunch today, wish me luck, will save me a few bob, fingers crossed it works through each gear as it should, my heart tells me to give it a shot, my brain says buy the bearings and rebuild the old box myself, such is life

catching the would be madness

if the box is noisy then its a worn bearing or part and the broken bits will be circulating in the oil , use that oil again and you have installed contaminated oil, cant imagine even a back street mechanic would consider putting old oil back in something , if you want it to last then fresh top quality oil only

• Like 1

Morning all,

To update, drove down to the scrappy yesterday, he had ready for us a c1 gearbox with 36k on it, I said no I've come for an aygo gearbox with 32k on it, he apologised and brought out the right gear box, at that point I had a change of mind as the c1 box looked much cleaner except that it had the extra 4k on it, and thats the one I brought home!

Did I make the right decision guys?

Next stop is sourcing my clutch kit. 

I'm seeing blue print on eBay at around 50.00.

However eurocarparts stock LUK at 96.00.

Bit unsure what brand to go for now

c1 /107 /aygo all made in same factory in czech ....identical running gear so i would have taken the cleanest /lowest milage one 

i try to never use ecp if possible

11 minutes ago, steveo3002 said:

c1 /107 /aygo all made in same factory in czech ....identical running gear so i would have taken the cleanest /lowest milage one 

Cheers Steveo,

May I ask why you don't use ecp?

Do you think I should settle for an eBay buy such as blueprint?

And does anybody know in mm what size the clutch is i should go for in reference to the updated larger version? Finding it all a bit confusing! So sorry

id contact big city store see if he has one ready to dispatch ...he often states how he carrys the correct upgrade one 

i dislike epc because ive had many poor quality parts from them and wrongly supplied bits  

1 hour ago, SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS said:

And does anybody know in mm what size the clutch is i should go for in reference to the updated larger version? Finding it all a bit confusing! So sorry

59 minutes ago, steveo3002 said:

says 190mm

Agreed 190mm, manual (non MMT)builds up to 2008 had 180mm after that all became 190mm - which is what I had fitted when the clutch on my 2008 C1 failed in 2011.

29 minutes ago, PetrolDave said:

Agreed 190mm, manual (non MMT)builds up to 2008 had 180mm after that all became 190mm - which is what I had fitted when the clutch on my 2008 C1 failed in 2011.

190mm it is then!!

2 hours ago, steveo3002 said:

Cheers Steveo,

Do you think I should settle for an eBay buy such as blueprint?

Just now, SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS said:

190mm it is then!!

Cheers Steveo,

Do you think I should settle for an ebay buy such as blueprint?

Cheers Steveo, will keep you all posted

Could I ask how old your tyres are? I have something similar on my rav that the local garage thinks is due to their age. They are going to look at it tomorrow. I've been there with thoughts about bearings , oil , exhaust etc. Your video keeps buffering for my connection but your description rings a few bells for me.

1 hour ago, pmb said:

Could I ask how old your tyres are? I have something similar on my rav that the local garage thinks is due to their age. They are going to look at it tomorrow. I've been there with thoughts about bearings , oil , exhaust etc. Your video keeps buffering for my connection but your description rings a few bells for me.

Hi

Tyres?

I'd say about 2yrs old maybe.

Is there a link to my issue?

32 minutes ago, SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS said:

Hi

Tyres?

I'd say about 2yrs old maybe.

Is there a link to my issue?

Logic tells mme a link to your problem is doubtful.  You have had your car up in the air with the wheels revolving under power and you could hear the noise from the gearbox, your tyres were not in contact with the road at that time.

• Like 1