Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Strange sound driving me insane

SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS

15 hours ago, Catlover said:

Logic tells mme a link to your problem is doubtful.  You have had your car up in the air with the wheels revolving under power and you could hear the noise from the gearbox, your tyres were not in contact with the road at that time.

I agree

Guys,

Good news, we replaced the gearbox today and with a new clutch kit, and wow, the sound has gone and its like driving a new car. I'm glad. Very glad.

I further discovered that an oil leak that I complained about recently, turns out upon investigation, it was coming from a leaky drive shaft seal and being sprayed up the back of the engine. It wasn't engine oil but gear oil. So that's been cleaned up.

My final gripe is that I discovered a coolant leak. Right side looking at the engine. Been told its coming from the thermostat housing gasket. My coolants dropped just below the minimum mark so I need to sort this ASAP. Are the gaskets available and cheap?

20210417_141531.jpg

Forgot to add, the job went smoothly, working kerb side wasn't easy. 

The only thing I'd like to mention is it drank 2L of fresh fully synthetic oil clean  I was waiting fir the over spill but nothing. Is that normal?

Morning All

Does anybody know what this part is called for when I call toyota today to get a price on it.

It appears to be the source of my leaky coolant which now stresses me out. Apart from this issue the cars driving as new, touch wood ot stays like that!

Much appreciated.

I must say that side of the engine looks a bit of a mess for now

20210419_053646.jpg

20210417_141502.jpg

2 hours ago, SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS said:

Morning All

Does anybody know what this part is called for when I call toyota today to get a price on it.

It appears to be the source of my leaky coolant which now stresses me out. Apart from this issue the cars driving as new, touch wood ot stays like that!

Much appreciated.

I must say that side of the engine looks a bit of a mess for now

20210419_053646.jpg

20210417_141502.jpg

Hi, 

you can check here for the parts , best to buy and change all 3 of them. Gasket, thermostat and inlet . 
https://japancars.ru/index.php?route=catalog/toyota&mdf_id=4389&area=EU&cat=101510&blk_id=1603

thought you filled the oil until it dribles out the filler hole?  sounds like you need more oil if it was on level ground

Everything I've read says the gearbox oil capacity is 1.7litres.

As steveo3002 says you fill until the oil comes out the filler hole.

7 hours ago, PetrolDave said:

Everything I've read says the gearbox oil capacity is 1.7litres.

As steveo3002 says you fill until the oil comes out the filler hole.

Hi

It was on axles at the time but seemingly level

I'm wondering if I should add more oil now? I've never come across a gearbox taking more oil than required...I.e 1.75L but still no dribble after 2.5L

id certainly recheck it...will ruin the box if its low on oil

Awaiting delivery of my new housing, thermostat, and coolant to get my leaky issue fixed, fingers crossed!

I hope there aren't any future issues for some time, lol, been through alot with her recent!

• 1 month later...
On 4/19/2021 at 4:28 PM, steveo3002 said:

id certainly recheck it...will ruin the box if its low on oil

Morning All

Update. Finally got around to checking my gearbox oil level yesterday.

Upon replacing the gearbox a few weeks back, we filled a whole 2L instead of the specified 1.7L, I've been meaning to drain it since but lack of time.

Undid the filler bolt, and let it trickle out on a flat surface, I'd say we drained about 300ml.

However once drained I've noticed that my gears 1 to 2 and 3 to 4 feel a little more notchy. Why is that? It felt much smoother before. I suppose I could live with it.

Should I consider topping it up again or would that as my mechanic mentioned cause pressure inside the gearbox creating a foam inside if over filled and eventually blow the seals?

18 hours ago, SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS said:

Morning All

Update. Finally got around to checking my gearbox oil level yesterday.

Upon replacing the gearbox a few weeks back, we filled a whole 2L instead of the specified 1.7L, I've been meaning to drain it since but lack of time.

Undid the filler bolt, and let it trickle out on a flat surface, I'd say we drained about 300ml.

However once drained I've noticed that my gears 1 to 2 and 3 to 4 feel a little more notchy. Why is that? It felt much smoother before. I suppose I could live with it.

Should I consider topping it up again or would that as my mechanic mentioned cause pressure inside the gearbox creating a foam inside if over filled and eventually blow the seals?

Anybody ?

8 hours ago, SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS said:

Anybody ?

Gear oil should never be overfilled and your mechanic is right, blow the seals, cause extra drug inside reducing the fuel efficiency. If you get the car levelled off the ground you can fill up required quantity 1.7ltr until is starting to drip,  if not able to level the car drain and refill up to the quantity of 1.7ltr , more oil in can be as bad as less oil or even worse. Keep at correct level is the best. 👍

15 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Gear oil should never be overfilled and your mechanic is right, blow the seals, cause extra drug inside reducing the fuel efficiency. If you get the car levelled off the ground you can fill up required quantity 1.7ltr until is starting to drip,  if not able to level the car drain and refill up to the quantity of 1.7ltr , more oil in can be as bad as less oil or even worse. Keep at correct level is the best. 👍

Cheers

Much appreciated 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Its a sad day for us, noticed a different type of whine today coming from the underside, put her on axles, in 5th gear, it appears the replacement gearbox has had it aswell, its really sad, she changes gears smooth, very smooth, and pulls like a dream, only you can hear that rumble from the underside, not as pronounced as the original gearbox, on the road its bearable, on axles its like all hell has broken loose!

Think ill have to leave as for now, can't afford to go through all that again. 

Before anyone asks, this recent gearbox was from a breakers with apparently 28k on it! Can't trust anyone these days. And 30 day warranty. I've only done 850 miles on it!

7 hours ago, SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS said:

Lost for words...short vid

Sadly the gearbox is one of those parts you don't want to buy used

4 hours ago, Biomecanoid said:

Sadly the gearbox is one of those parts you don't want to buy used

I've learnt that the hard way. I just hoped I'd be a lucky one.

She's still in amazing condition but I think that I need to accept..its over.

Woke up with a tear this morning. So many memories together and so much fun to drive. She's like wearing my shoes daily, in and off you go.

Just to add took the inspection cover off on the gearbox yesterday evening incase I found a stone or something inside because it does sound rattly like a bolts jumping around inside it, found nothing though

So, Sam, you done 850 miles with that gbox, what was it like through those miles?

That's terrible! Are there any consumer laws that would help you through? 

1 hour ago, SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS said:

Just to add took the inspection cover off on the gearbox yesterday evening incase I found a stone or something inside because it does sound rattly like a bolts jumping around inside it, found nothing though

Well, my advise is to take off gear box completely and inspect all clutch parts, bearings particularly, sounds like clutch bearing went bad, what make parts have you installed? 
If the gear box was ok when fitted hardly can develop that noise in 850 miles unless been used for rally. 👍

Have you re-checked the torque on the hub nuts

2 hours ago, Catlover said:

So, Sam, you done 850 miles with that gbox, what was it like through those miles?

Hi Catlover,

I'd say vast improvement over the old gearbox, slight whine that only I could hear and nobody else. Smooth gear changes and lots of power, to me anyway! It still has smooth changes and power but it makes my car vibrate more now though

1 hour ago, Chris Boddum said:

That's terrible! Are there any consumer laws that would help you through? 

Doubt it Chris, they only give a month warranty. I recon most breakers yards are dubious im sorry to say, they pluck a mileage out the air and stamp it on things