Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Strange sound driving me insane

SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS

Sam, first picture first bottle from left to right is the one that suits your car, it’s fully synthetic, it’s GL4 and it’s 75w these three parameters are must have. 👍 Best to stick with oem Toyota oil for the gearbox. Mannol products are full stop, highly not recommended. Recently bought a brake cleaner that damaged some plastics on my scooter, very unhappy., was about to try their oils but will not have them even for free. 

7185261B-953B-43FC-A322-6E5E357911A2.jpeg

• Like 2

Toyota oil all the way Sam. If in the future there is a rattle or sticky gear change you will be worried if you got the right oil in, its a cert.

8 hours ago, steveo3002 said:

yeah do what you feel is best

im broke too thats why i tried mannol oil , i could feel it notchy so paid up and got the dearer synth oil , its was worth it to me 

Cheers Steveo, purchased my oil, just looking forward to the weekend now to begin the next phase...again lol! 

Never give up...is what my late daddy taught me! 

I do wish for a new 2021 motor, I've always like the mini and a fiat 500, dream car is a 5 series bmw, I can only imagine the bills on that when they start misbehaving!!! Sweet dreams

6 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Sam, first picture first bottle from left to right is the one that suits your car, it’s fully synthetic, it’s GL4 and it’s 75w these three parameters are must have. 👍 Best to stick with oem Toyota oil for the gearbox. Mannol products are full stop, highly not recommended. Recently bought a brake cleaner that damaged some plastics on my scooter, very unhappy., was about to try their oils but will not have them even for free. 

7185261B-953B-43FC-A322-6E5E357911A2.jpeg

Oh damn already purchased the mineral, should I return and go fully? Confused. Catlover recons toyota, wonder who manufacturers toyota oils???

I did say your a worrier, should have just got the bottle labelled Toyota and you would have known it was for your car, and no worries.

I joined this forum in 2014 and got used to your postings and the character behind them, hence I know you are a worrier.

55 minutes ago, Catlover said:

I did say your a worrier, should have just got the bottle labelled Toyota and you would have known it was for your car, and no worries.

I joined this forum in 2014 and got used to your postings and the character behind them, hence I know you are a worrier.

I dont know what to say catlover. 

There's another forumster called Oldcodger on here, we go back many years, he knows me all too well.

I cant deny...worrier, and a wannabe paefectionist, two traits I dont admire in myself sadly.

9 hours ago, SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS said:

Oh damn already purchased the mineral, should I return and go fully? Confused. Catlover recons toyota, wonder who manufacturers toyota oils???

Hi, yes best to return and get the full synthetic one that is for GL-4 application and has viscosity 75W , but the best really is Toyota own gear oil https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/383568382829, looking at the bottle can say this one is made by Mobil 1. 

From city bug guys...

20210628_114204.jpg

I give up.

• Haha 1

have you asked Opie Oils ?  one of the biggest oil retailers in the uk 

seems you just refuse to listen to folk that are trying to help, its the cost of a bag of chips to upgrade to the best oil

mineral is budget cheapest -fully syn is best - you decide , then come back on here telling us its notchy on a frosty morning  

• Thanks 1

Oh boy, are you in for a treat with a mini, bmw parts prices and service rates, the PSA engines leak like a sieve it is not unheard of that the engine needs to be pulled at 60-90K just to sort the oil leaks, Fiat 500 like all Italians electrics can be a mare

Re. Gearbox oil

Mineral vs Synthetic

Synthetic

• Excellent flow at low temperatures
  • Stable viscosity, even at high temperatures (synthetic oils do not fluidity easily)
  • Less frequent oil changes
  • Less deposit formation
  • Less wear on parts
  • Optimize fuel consumption
  • Protect engines/gearboxes and increase their lifespans

2 hours ago, SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS said:

From city bug guys...

20210628_114204.jpg

That makes no sense to me - the gearbox used in the manual and semi-auto is exactly the same :wallbash:.

Personally I would always go for synthetic  or semi-synthetic over mineral it's superior properties more than make up for the extra cost IMHO.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Catlover said:

I give up.

Lol

4 hours ago, steveo3002 said:

have you asked opie oils ?  one of the biggest oil retailers in the uk 

seems you just refuse to listen to folk that are trying to help, its the cost of a bag of chips to upgrade to the best oil

mineral is budget cheapest -fully syn is best - you decide , then come back on here telling us its notchy on a frosty morning  

Hi Steveo,

Not at all, I never refuse to listen to any forumster, I dropped Opie an email yesterday, being a Sunday their chat facility was unavailable, they should respond though.

2 hours ago, flash22 said:

Oh boy, are you in for a treat with a mini, bmw parts prices and service rates, the PSA engines leak like a sieve it is not unheard of that the engine needs to be pulled at 60-90K just to sort the oil leaks, Fiat 500 like all Italians electrics can be a mare

Re. Gearbox oil

Mineral vs Synthetic

Synthetic

• Excellent flow at low temperatures
  • Stable viscosity, even at high temperatures (synthetic oils do not fluidity easily)
  • Less frequent oil changes
  • Less deposit formation
  • Less wear on parts
  • Optimize fuel consumption
  • Protect engines/gearboxes and increase their lifespans

Interesting, thank you guys for the input

2 hours ago, PetrolDave said:

That makes no sense to me - the gearbox used in the manual and semi-auto is exactly the same :wallbash:.

Personally I would always go for synthetic  or semi-synthetic over mineral it's superior properties more than make up for the extra cost IMHO.

Cheers, I agree with you, so I emailed them back, it continues...heres there response...

Screenshot_20210628-161107_Outlook.jpg

29 minutes ago, SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS said:

Cheers, I agree with you, so I emailed them back, it continues...heres there response...

Screenshot_20210628-161107_Outlook.jpg

It's not about extra cleaners and ingredients (which is what the reply mentions), it's about synthetic oil having better properties under the high pressures between the gears and in the bearings - so that reply is (and I hate to say this as I am also a member of the city bug club) totally missing the point. Giving answers like that smacks of them trying to justify only selling the mineral oil - and is not helpful IMHO.

• Thanks 1

mineral isnt wrong as such....but synth is the way to go for best protection and easy gear change

going away from *75* grade will mean stiffer gear changes ....its 75 , not 75/80 , 75/90.....just 75w 

21 minutes ago, steveo3002 said:

mineral isnt wrong as such....but synth is the way to go for best protection and easy gear change

going away from *75* grade will mean stiffer gear changes ....its 75 , not 75/80 , 75/90.....just 75w 

I agree with that...just 75

I'm beginning to think that ruined my last box myself you know, by using incorrect oil, I think I blame myself now!

Just reserved 2 bottles at my dealership for collection tomorrow, Shame they don't offer trade discounts on any oil products!

Don't blame yourself, I'm convinced my dealer also put the wrong oil into my Mk2, as they also used a multigrade instead of straight 75 according to the sheet!

Might be worth seeing if PartsKing can do you some at a discount; He's normally quite good with discounts to club members, but sadly the postage costs usually wipes out the saving unless you're buying a lot of stuff!

Then again if you live near one of the Lindop sites and can pick it up in person, that could work...!

You could also just ask and see if they'll give you a discount when you go to your local; The less-awful dealer of the two near me will often knock some off just for the asking!

2 hours ago, Cyker said:

Don't blame yourself, I'm convinced my dealer also put the wrong oil into my Mk2, as they also used a multigrade instead of straight 75 according to the sheet!

Might be worth seeing if PartsKing can do you some at a discount; He's normally quite good with discounts to club members, but sadly the postage costs usually wipes out the saving unless you're buying a lot of stuff!

Then again if you live near one of the Lindop sites and can pick it up in person, that could work...!

You could also just ask and see if they'll give you a discount when you go to your local; The less-awful dealer of the two near me will often knock some off just for the asking!

Cheers Cyker...

Just had a look at the gear oil I used on this last box, seems it was the correct spec...straight GL4...back to blaming the guys who sold me a dodgy box!!!

Screenshot_20210628-203419_Gallery.jpg

Hi Guys.

Weekend update: was at work yesterday hence no chance to work on my gearbox project.

Forecast for today as most of you may have experienced, thunder and showers! I managed to removed the old box, and tidy up the new box, pics attached, but thats as far as I could go sadly when the heavens opened up with rain! My cars currently off road on axles now until I get a chance to work on her again.

Screenshot_20210704-232646_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210704-232635_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210704-232654_Gallery.jpg

• Like 1

Evening All,

The good news is...that the box went in this evening! Using genuine toyota gear oil at the correct fill of 1.7L. All sounds as sweet as it should. I'm glad after all that. Drive shafts were fully inspected prior to fitting. 

My next stop are the wheel bearings again. Drivers side is a killer in decibels. Such is life. Things must go on.

• Like 1