Jump to content
Do Not Sell My Personal Information


Strange sound driving me insane


Recommended Posts


  • Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That’s right , you have to find first what is wrong and what had caused the issue. Blueprint are best make for aftermarket for Japanese cars, very often problems solvers. If poor workmanship had cause

And it is very likely since it sounds like Prius with broken clutch damper springs, or these just got loose for some reason, poor quality part or workmanship. This video might be helpful. 

think id find a new mechanic ...bearings should last 100k or so easy dark gear Oil doesnt sound good , i changed mine at around 80k and it was as clear as water , recon boxes can be a minefield t

Posted Images

1 hour ago, TonyHSD said:

Well, my advise is to take off gear box completely and inspect all clutch parts, bearings particularly, sounds like clutch bearing went bad, what make parts have you installed? 
If the gear box was ok when fitted hardly can develop that noise in 850 miles unless been used for rally. 👍

Thought of taking it apart again! The clutch was a genuine blue print, 3 piece.

Rally! Oh no no no, gentle driving here, I promise, I just can't explain it, as in how it bad, something must have broken off.

I'm thinking if I top up the Oil would it make a difference?

And if its safe to drive? Did the school drops today, it still gets me places!

Link to post
Share on other sites

i would get someone to look at it in person, it could be any number of issues

edit. Just managed to watch your video, it sounds like a stone stuck in a wheel or a nut, hubcaps or alloys ?

Edit2. Does it do it in neutral ?

Edit3. Remove the starter motor and inspect

Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS said:

Hi Catlover,

I'd say vast improvement over the old gearbox, slight whine that only I could hear and nobody else. Smooth gear changes and lots of power, to me anyway! It still has smooth changes and power but it makes my car vibrate more now though

So, when during those 850 miles did the noise start, and was it something gradual, or one day it suddenly became a bag of nuts and bolts.??

What happens when you rev up?


The more info you can give, probably better chance it just clicking with one of the readers.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, knew i heard it that sound before the pressure plate has failed

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, flash22 said:

i would get someone to look at it in person, it could be any number of issues

edit. Just managed to watch your video, it sounds like a stone stuck in a wheel or a nut, hubcaps or alloys ?

Edit2. Does it do it in neutral ?

Edit3. Remove the starter motor and inspect

Hi

I agree, contacting a toyota breaker specialist today here in Leicestershire to see what he says.

I doubt its atone in a wheel etc as when testing the wheels are off the ground.

No sound in neutral. And the sound dissappears when the clutch is pressed down.

I dont think its starter motor related. When taking a long screwdriver as a aid to listen through its definitely coming from the gearbox

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Catlover said:

So, when during those 850 miles did the noise start, and was it something gradual, or one day it suddenly became a bag of nuts and bolts.??

What happens when you rev up?


The more info you can give, probably better chance it just clicking with one of the readers.

Hi

I personally feel everything was okay at 1st, and then began to go wrong after draining the excess Oil post gearbox replacement where it took all 2L and then drained a few weeks later to level it out, which I'd say took out about 300mls.

Okay, so starting the vehicle up on axles, no sound, hardly anything in 1st and 2nd, but 3rd 4th and 5th..no sound when revving but as the revs drop...the sound kicks in like a bag of bolts! And remains as it idles.

Its a crazy situation to have catlover. Sounds terrible.

I doubt a gearbox additive would help.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS said:

Hi

I agree, contacting a toyota breaker specialist today here in Leicestershire to see what he says.

I doubt its atone in a wheel etc as when testing the wheels are off the ground.

No sound in neutral. And the sound dissappears when the clutch is pressed down.

I dont think its starter motor related. When taking a long screwdriver as a aid to listen through its definitely coming from the gearbox

I think (now that’s a dangerous thing for me to do), that Bob, Flash22, was talking about a stone or nut trapped behind a wheel trim. He did ask has your car got hubcaps or alloys. Your wheels would turning when up in the air in gear.

you added information, “no sound in neutral. And sound disappears when the clutch is pressed down”.  Bob did show a video where a pressure plate has failed……. Is the sound in the video like yours?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sam's video, it doesn't sound like it's inside the gearbox but it's in an open space eg. the bell housing (think a shoe in a washing machine), a miss aligned clutch could have busted the pressure plate

https://toyotaowners.b-cdn.net/uploads/monthly_2021_06/20210610_165317_1.mp4.a3673628147d4dcd6ed4334237dcbf65.mp4

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Gear Oil drain and inspection with torch and magnet for traces of metal debris, broken gears, synchros or bearings, if not then clutch needs to be seen., and obviously gearbox taken off the car again, I am not what other options you have but better don’t leave it like that , it doesn’t sound healthy. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Catlover said:

I think (now that’s a dangerous thing for me to do), that Bob, Flash22, was talking about a stone or nut trapped behind a wheel trim. He did ask has your car got hubcaps or alloys. Your wheels would turning when up in the air in gear.

you added information, “no sound in neutral. And sound disappears when the clutch is pressed down”.  Bob did show a video where a pressure plate has failed……. Is the sound in the video like yours?

Hi Catlover,

But confused re Bob, flash 22, and a video, where do I find this video?

I'd like to listen to that definitely!

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS said:

Hi Catlover,

But confused re Bob, flash 22, and a video, where do I find this video?

I'd like to listen to that definitely!

Sincere apologies  

Just found the video, it does sort of sound similar, are we thinking it is a misaligned clutch?

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Gear Oil drain and inspection with torch and magnet for traces of metal debris, broken gears, synchros or bearings, if not then clutch needs to be seen., and obviously gearbox taken off the car again, I am not what other options you have but better don’t leave it like that , it doesn’t sound healthy. 

I think that this is the best course of action for now, drain Oil, look for debris, if clean, then remove gearbox and check clutch kit, I doubt the mechanic will be covering cost of replacement parts if it is due to misalignment!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS said:

Sincere apologies  

Just found the video, it does sort of sound similar, are we thinking it is a misaligned clutch?

If you read Bobs comments, he thinks a “misaligned clutch could have busted the pressure plate”.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Catlover said:

If you read Bobs comments, he thinks a “misaligned clutch could have busted the pressure plate”.  

And it is very likely since it sounds like Prius with broken clutch damper springs, or these just got loose for some reason, poor quality part or workmanship. This video might be helpful. 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

And it is very likely since it sounds like Prius with broken clutch damper springs, or these just got loose for some reason, poor quality part or workmanship. This video might be helpful. 

 

That’s a surprise Tony.

Good video

Link to post
Share on other sites

It sounds like its in an open area rather than inside a gearbox bathed in Oil, possible the input shaft bearing

IIRC there is a bigger clutch available, its 190mm (standard is 180mm)

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Catlover said:

If you read Bobs comments, he thinks a “misaligned clutch could have busted the pressure plate”.  

Catlover, I've been advised that if the clutch was misaligned in some way, the gearbox wouldn't fit straight back on, maybe they mean it won't line up when refitting it all togeather???

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, flash22 said:

It sounds like its in an open area rather than inside a gearbox bathed in oil, possible the input shaft bearing

IIRC there is a bigger clutch available, its 190mm (standard is 180mm)

Your right about the clutch size Bob. Initially the Aygo, C1, Pug 107 were all fitted with a clutch plate was 180mm, and cars started to have slip problems and needed new clutch at around 28k-30k. The recommended replacement was from the Yaris and 190mm, not much bigger but it solved premature clutch failure. Shame for all the owners because they had to pick up the tab, like we did with the wife’s C1.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Catlover said:

Your right about the clutch size Bob. Initially the Aygo, C1, Pug 107 were all fitted with a clutch plate was 180mm, and cars started to have slip problems and needed new clutch at around 28k-30k. 

The 190mm clutch was fitted from late 2018 production onwards IIRC.

Link to post
Share on other sites

There have been a few issues with the Aygo and its gearbox

possible causes for Sam's Aygo

Clutch/pressure plate has failed due to a defect

Issue with installation/incorrect adjustment esp if it was a 190mm clutch

too many burn-outs or dumping the clutch around Maccy D's car park on a Friday night 😆 (may result in a stretched handbrake cable as well)

IIRC the TSB's go back to 07-08

Blue print's info is dated 02/2014 for the Aygo 05>

https://www.partsinmotion.co.uk/xlist/10/INF12216_GB.pdf

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, PetrolDave said:

The 190mm clutch was fitted from late 2018 production onwards IIRC.

2018 or 2008

The Blueprint data sheet Bob put up few posts back was dated 02/14, so the problem was around then.  The wifes car was brand new 2006 (56 plate) and the clutch went and the bigger clutch fitted with 32k miles on the clock. We cant remember the exact year the clutch was changed but it was pre 2011 because thats when we moved house.  On web sites it was a big thing at the time, lots of users complaining that Citroen were save a small amount per car and customers were picking up the big repair bill.  See below.

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/askhj/answer/42259/is-my-citroen-c1-s-clutch-fault-a-known-defect-

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Catlover said:

Sam, Whose clutch parts did you eventually choose to fit????

Hi

Blueprint, supposed to be o.e quality, will be ringing the motor factor today to complain and inform ill be returning the part if they agree to refund, unsure of my chances there!

Thinking of ordering an exidy clutch next and trying one more time.

Assuming it is the clutch that's an issue

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.





×
×
  • Create New...




Forums


News


Membership