Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Speaker upgrade

MCjensen

Hi,

Just bought an Aygo made in August, 2012, though first registered in 2013.   I've got tweeters on the dash, and Speakers just on the front doors. Standard Head unit.

What is the best speaker upgrade?  What Speakers will fit along with the attachments? I have to buy from the EU, otherwise big tariffs from non-EU.   

Thanks Michael

1 hour ago, MCjensen said:

I have to buy from the EU, otherwise big tariffs from non-EU.   

The majority of our members are outside the EU.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

The majority of our members are outside the EU.

Okay,  any suggestions on Speakers?

you could choose 10cm dash Speakers and 17cm door ones 

or buy a component set to replace what you have ...that would be a 17cm mid range and a tweeter for the dash , any known brand name would be an improvement , i have hertz in mine - you say "best" , well you can easily get into many hundreds of ££ for high end Speakers , then they will need an amp to drive them hard   

32 minutes ago, steveo3002 said:

you could choose 10cm dash speakers and 17cm door ones 

or buy a component set to replace what you have ...that would be a 17cm mid range and a tweeter for the dash , any known brand name would be an improvement , i have hertz in mine - you say "best" , well you can easily get into many hundreds of ££ for high end speakers , then they will need an amp to drive them hard   

Okay thanks,  with a component system, I would need to put in crossovers, right?   With the standard factory Head unit, should the basic or component speakers be 2-3 ohms each instead of 4 ohms?     

I do have an aftermarket HU I could put in , but I do like the looks and all the functions of the standard HU. 

yes they use some sort of crossover ...lower priced ones will have it built into the wiring , more expensive will be a small box you hide under the dash 

how good do you want it ?   i have the 10cm dash and 17cm door Speakers , its a big improvement over the standard Speakers , with a cheap kenwood id say its good enough for a cheap run around car 

Some versions of the Mk1 Aygo came with tweeters in the A-pillar so if you're thinking of a component system then you could have A-pillar tweeters, dash mid-range and door woofers with a 3-way crossover behind the dash - this is what I had fitted to my Mk1 C1 (along with a boot sub-woofer and the biggest multiple-cone Speakers I could fit in the parcel shelf).

Example of A-pillar trim with tweeter https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-aygo-Peugeot-107-citroen-c1-front-passenger-side-a-pillar-trim-2005-2012/143845953272?hash=item217de30ef8:g:i78AAOSwGo5baqgd

P.S. Don't ask me the speaker makes, it was 10 years ago and the car has been sold.

how good do you want it ?   i have the 10cm dash and 17cm door Speakers , its a big improvement over the standard Speakers , with a cheap kenwood id say its good enough for a cheap run around car

Ok thanks.  Just good enough or better than the original ones. No Speakers in the A-pillar, just the dash and front door. 

yeah then id not bother with components ..they work best with a amplifier

get something good quality for the dash 10cm  as theyre closest , for the doors you can get 17cm jvc for around £20 which will improve it and doesnt need to be amazing as theyre pointing at your ankles 

Yeah then id not bother with components ..they work best with a amplifier

Not really true, you can run them from the stereo they just will not perform to their best, you will get a lot better staging tho

@MCjensen are you sure you have Speakers in the front doors the factory Speakers come in 3 specs, base spec 10cm (4") - Mid spec 10cm in the dash (with factory high pass filter) 16.5cm mids in the front and the High spec what's the same as the mid-spec but with 16.5cm in the rear (full range)

I do not rate the lower end, sony or jvc car audio

thats why it says works best with an amp !

little point buying high end top quality Speakers and running them off a factory head unit  ..he can , but without power they wont sound great

if running from the head unit ...check out the sellers spec on the Speakers there will be a sensitivity rating like 90db , higher the number the more sound per watt , so will work better on lower power , 90-92 is a good number 

• Like 1

get something good quality for the dash 10cm  as theyre closest , for the doors you can get 17cm jvc for around £20 which will improve it and doesnt need to be amazing as theyre pointing at your ankles 

Yea, thats what I will do.   I just took the 17cm Speakers out of the front doors. Next I will take the 10cm out of the dash. Thats all I can see.

2 hours ago, flash22 said:

@MCjensen are you sure you have speakers in the front doors the factory speakers come in 3 specs, base spec 10cm (4") - Mid spec 10cm in the dash (with factory high pass filter) 16.5cm mids in the front and the High spec what's the same as the mid-spec but with 16.5cm in the rear (full range)

I have a 17cm in the door, not sure exactly what kind it is, except its original.  I have the 4cm original ones in the dash, that look like tweeters I guess

Alpine SXV1025s are good for the money match them with SXE1725s for the doors, If not go with comps like alpine SXE1750s mount the tweeters in place of the 4" they will require a bit of wiring

Ah you have the upgraded Speakers, 4 wires on the tweeter 2 from the radio 2 to the door, the tweeter acts as a crossover

36 minutes ago, flash22 said:

Ah you have the upgraded speakers, 4 wires on the tweeter 2 from the radio 2 to the door, the tweeter acts as a crossover

Should I leave the upgraded tweeter in the dash then? 

Considering to improve the car stereo sound, I'm looking at these speaker systems with Hertz in this particular example to go with my original bluetooth pioneer HU in the 2012 Aygo+   I guess I have 4 basic choices.  I appreciate any suggestions. 

1- Replace both the front door Speakers and the dash tweeters.  Not sure yet how to fit or wire the new tweeter on the original metal frame.

DSK 170.3 two way system   https://www.hertzaudiovideo.com/car-audio-systems-dieci-dsk170_3/

2- Replace just the front door Speakers but leave the exiting dash tweeters for now.                                                                                                                                                    

DCX 170.3 Two way coaxial  https://www.hertzaudiovideo.com/car-audio-coaxials-dieci-dcx170_3-2/

3- Replace the front door Speakers but replace the dash tweeters with 4" coaxial two way speakers.  Not sure if the original HU can power them. 

DCX 170.3 Two way coaxial  https://www.hertzaudiovideo.com/car-audio-coaxials-dieci-dcx170_3-2/                                                                                                            

DCX 100.3 Two way coaxial  https://www.hertzaudiovideo.com/car-audio-coaxials-dieci-dcx100_3/

4- Replace the front door speakers and the dash tweeters with a component speaker system.  Think I could put the crossovers just under the dash tweeters.   If my original HU can't properly power them,  I could put in an aftermarket pioneer bluetooth HU I took out of my Fiat. Though the display is not that great, and the buttons are small..   

Hertz Dieci DSK165.3 - 6,5" Component system   https://customaudio.dk/shop/hertz-dieci-dsk165-463p.html

post-13937-0-42020200-1340798246.jpg

Edited by MCjensen
added component system url

screw holes are 12cm apart for a coaxial speaker, funny underneath the tweeter is a hole to the floor. I see I can put a new tweeter on top on the metal plate

IMG_1459.thumb.JPG.df4e79b6cf7b6a0fcec55d11b8a88927.JPG

tweeter with built in crossover
IMG_1458.thumb.JPG.bd711a00d9a1606c4f42bdc14ae2e418.JPG

be aware as you get towards premium /expensive door Speakers they will tend to be deeper with bigger magnets ,take care that they will not foul the door internals 

1 hour ago, steveo3002 said:

be aware as you get towards premium /expensive door speakers they will tend to be deeper with bigger magnets ,take care that they will not foul the door internals 

Yea thanks. I have measured the depth of the original door Speakers.  I might just buy 2 new coaxial door speakers first and see how it sounds afterwards. 

• Like 1

If it helps, I fitted front door Speakers to our similar 107 few years ago and heard that the max depth was about 50mm, I found some Kenwoods 16.5 3 ways which are 45mm deep, which just fit door card/pocket and no window issues. 

Depending on which way you go speaker wise, have a think about the speaker wiring, yours is bit more complicated than our 2008 107, but when I swapped our front Speakers I just ran new speaker wires to fronts rather than muller the original wiring, but I was adding rear Speakers as well, so left the original wiring untouched. It just helps you want it back to standard later on. 

2 hours ago, Puglet said:

If it helps, I fitted front door speakers to our similar 107 few years ago and heard that the max depth was about 50mm

Thanks, that's one thing I will sure keep in mind.  I'm getting there with help.

There's a lot to consider in this front door speaker. 1. Indbygnings dybde 43-50mm.  2. dB 90-94.   3. Power 160w-80w?  120w-60w?  or 100w-50w? with the original pioneer HU.  4. Coaxial or component speaker system?  probably coaxial.   5. Brand?   6. Price?

There's a lot to consider in the dashboard speaker.  1.  Tweeter or coaxial speaker?   2. dB 90-94   3. Wiring choices- crossover or no crossover?    4. Brand?     5. Price?

in my opinion...

for head unit power ..always a high db /sensitivity

wattage ratings are often over exaggerated , but not much concern when using low power , its not the output its what power they can accept from an amp , again head unit power will be exagerated and not many that put out a genuine constant 25 watts or more (look at rms figures not max)

components ought to give a better sound stage vs coax , although with low power/no amp i think you would be happy with either , theyre only going onto weak plastic door cards , its not really much of a car for a "pro " audio install 

another question...how good is the replacement head unit ?  some have the ability to run the rears as a subwoofer or have crossover features built in ? if its like that could have more options

• Like 1