Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2010 Avensis EBP fault

LewisMcC47

Afternoon all,

I have recently changed a friends rear driver side calliper as it was leaking brake fluid, upon replacing the calliper we now have the warning message on the dash "Check parking brake system".

This occurs after the car has been started, so for example, we can turn the car on and the handbrake will be disengaged (confirmed as we can rotate the rear wheel with the car jacked), we can then pull the handbrake on and it does come on (again confirmed by checking the wheel and NOT being able to rotate it) and then the warning appears telling us to "release parking brake" and from then on we get the "Check parking brake system" warning and it is inoperable until ignition is turned off and the cycle repeats...

I have done a bit of reading and it appears the actuators are common problems on these cars however surly the actuator is not busted as it was perfectly fine when operating the leaky calliper however then decides to throw a wobbler with the new calliper. 

I have scanned the codes and got a "C1346 Zero point calibration of clutch stroke sensor undone", "P3653" and I am near certain there was another calibration related one!

Is there anything that I am missing that needs to be reset/calibrated when changing the callipers on these cars? As again I am very doubtful that the actuator can just go from working to busted via changing of the calliper.

Apologies if this is longwinded and a simple fix, I am typically a VAG mechanic and have no idea with Toyotas.

Did you disable the system before working on it? If not it's worth going through that process now. If message still on dash, check that you orientated pins on brake pad with piston correctly. Do not try to reset clutch point it never works and you will have to go to Toyota to get it reset.

6 hours ago, jimtaxi said:

Did you disable the system before working on it? If not it's worth going through that process now. If message still on dash, check that you orientated pins on brake pad with piston correctly. Do not try to reset clutch point it never works and you will have to go to Toyota to get it reset.

i thought u can change center point of the epb through techstream. i bought techstream from eBay. yep should have switched off parking break by disabling it then working on the brakes then when new caliber is in and pump the breaks with the peddle and get all the air out and only when brakes work with pumping them only then the epb button should be engaged 

20 hours ago, 2009joe said:

i thought u can change center point of the epb through techstream. i bought techstream from ebay. yep should have switched off parking break by disabling it then working on the brakes then when new caliber is in and pump the breaks with the peddle and get all the air out and only when brakes work with pumping them only then the epb button should be engaged 

You don't necessarily need to use diagnostics like Techstream to calibrate the rear brakes after changing the brake pads! Also use the wrong diagnistic tool to 'reset' the parking brakes will delete the clutch and g-force zero point settings. This will disable the auto function and parking brake fault on the display, plus cautions. I made the same mistake as another forum member, and eventually used Techstream to clear the cautions. Everything returned to normal.

The OP has seen some instructions and followed them too closely! The rear brakes don't need to be calibrated and if the wrong diagnostic tool is used, it will delete clutch zero point and G-force calibration. 

The only thing to be concerned with, are the pistons have been wound back so the cut outs on the piston faces are horizontal. Fail to do that will cause issues. Also the caliper sliders need to checked to make sure they are not sticking.

4 hours ago, Konrad C said:

The OP has seen some instructions and followed them too closely! The rear brakes don't need to be calibrated and if the wrong diagnostic tool is used, it will delete clutch zero point and G-force calibration. 

The only thing to be concerned with, are the pistons have been wound back so the cut outs on the piston faces are horizontal. Fail to do that will cause issues. Also the caliper sliders need to checked to make sure they are not sticking.

thanks so much yep i did all that and got new genuine toyota discs and pads in the way i did it was turned off the epb by holding the switch in for over 5 seconds to yellow light comes on the dash then i left ing on and got break wound back with notch pointing right way and all in then when i was finished i started the car pumped the brakes drove the car back and forward pumping the breaks stopping and moving and stopping then when i knew all was working great i then turned on the epb again all works great as it should with new pads and discs im a happy man plus all copper greased up also. tbh the job me thinking about it was worse than doing it as i never did it to my toyota as i never did electrical breaks before 

4 hours ago, Konrad C said:

You don't necessarily need to use diagnostics like Techstream to calibrate the rear brakes after changing the brake pads! Also use the wrong diagnistic tool to 'reset' the parking brakes will delete the clutch and g-force zero point settings. This will disable the auto function and parking brake fault on the display, plus cautions. I made the same mistake as another forum member, and eventually used Techstream to clear the cautions. Everything returned to normal.

forgot to say i never used the autel scanner or tech stream thank god as things worked great for me by just turning off the epb and winding back the piston .great job 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links