Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Engine shuddering

Swerve74

Over the last couple of days whilst pulling away I sometimes get a loud rattling sound from the engine bay. This usually lasts a few sentences then goes away. Any ideas. 

I'm driving a Toyota auris hybrid 1.8

Maybe thinking egr valve. 

Yes, very likely it’s the egr. What is the mileage? Can also be a moisture in the fuel that causes engine knocking, this is very dangerous, can lead to expensive repair. You can start with some fuel additives first. Redex injector cleaner works really well. 👍

Thanks for responding tony. I've tried 2 bottles of redex. No change. Miles are above 250k. Im not sure if the spark plugs have ever been changed.  I'm going to replace them. Cheapest option first. It's a long time since I've had to do this on a car. What is the best option. Change why engine is cold warm or hot. I don't want to strip the threads. Any advice appreciated. 

52 minutes ago, Swerve74 said:

Thanks for responding tony. I've tried 2 bottles of redex. No change. Miles are above 250k. Im not sure if the spark plugs have ever been changed.  I'm going to replace them. Cheapest option first. It's a long time since I've had to do this on a car. What is the best option. Change why engine is cold warm or hot. I don't want to strip the threads. Any advice appreciated. 

At this mileage cleaning egr is must do procedure. Spark plugs change at 60-80 k miles intervals , if the car is cold just start it and let it run for 5 min, then undo them. , if it’s hot you have to wait 20-30 min to cool down so easy to undo and touch. 👍

Try archoil 6400 pmax.  I've tried bg44 too but the new fuel cleaners are much better.

Thanks all all I think I  will invest in some archoil as recommended. Also thanks for the advice regarding the spark plug temperature's. It's probably 30 years since I done some and maybe I was just unlucky but I stripped the thread of one and had to get it hellicoilled. Thanks again. 

23 minutes ago, Swerve74 said:

Thanks all all I think I  will invest in some archoil as recommended. Also thanks for the advice regarding the spark plug temperature's. It's probably 30 years since I done some and maybe I was just unlucky but I stripped the thread of one and had to get it hellicoilled. Thanks again. 

You are welcome. For the plugs you will need a thin wall 16mm socket for plugs like this one https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/184582502158

and extension bars different length, and perhaps universal joint. It’s a bit tricky to change them but nothing too difficult. https://www.eurocarparts.com/p/am-tech-3pc-universal-joint-set-553777070?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIkZPNk8Ot7wIVhu_tCh3xrQVDEAQYASABEgJNwvD_BwE

Plugs Toyota oem recommended from dealer or eBay but again buy from official dealers only, not the cheap ones as those are fake. 
This one are real. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360684639130

For the egr cleaning fuel additives can not help at all, they can only clean combustion chamber, valves, and injectors but the egr carbon builds up is rock solid, it will require a manual cleaning using special cleaners and jet wash, also you will need to clean intake manifold and throttle body, it’s a big job and if you skip it this usually leads to expensive repairs like blown head gasket or broken dumper clutch all 1000’s of ££££

Quick update. Today this morning I replaced the spark plugs. Car seems better. I'm wondering if I have a faulty thermostate. The radiator seems cool even after driving around.  Any advice on replacing the thermostate. 

1 hour ago, Swerve74 said:

Quick update. Today this morning I replaced the spark plugs. Car seems better. I'm wondering if I have a faulty thermostate. The radiator seems cool even after driving around.  Any advice on replacing the thermostate. 

Easiest way to find is to take the car on the motorway and if temperature of the engine drops thermostat is stuck open., needs replacement. If it’s stuck closed you will have smell of hot coolant when walking by the car after a drive and your heating will be very good, too good.  Second occurrence can be dangerous and overheat your engine and lead to head gasket failure. 

No temperature gauge on my auris. Bottom hose on radiator is cold even after driving around 30 miles. 

23 minutes ago, Swerve74 said:

No temperature gauge on my auris. Bottom hose on radiator is cold even after driving around 30 miles. 

That’s strange you have no coolant temp gauge, if outside is cold and you are driving in town with not a lots of load on the engine and heater blowing inside to keep cabin warm your thermostat may remain closed even for longer than 30 miles. , as the heater core cools down enough the coolant. Maybe nest to get an obd 2 adapter or scan tool and check temp with it. Carista are good too or Autel, whatever you like 👍