Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tow bar and roof bars for Corolla hatch

PhilB63

Here are a few shots of the factory fit 'horizontal' detachable tow bar:

1055089647_Bar1.thumb.jpg.0575ba0180cee66a2ff5e80578dde00e.jpgbar3.thumb.jpg.ff3f618f2dabbb139555b2b5ae322ef8.jpgBar2.thumb.jpg.1e7a79da0568f646ba88025a7fa374cc.jpg

Edited by Rambler56
original photos not uploaded as JPEGS
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

All UK Corolla models are rated for towing:

HB 1.2 & 1.8 Wiring kit: HERE

HB 2.0 wiring kit: HERE

HB Horizontal detachable tow bar: HERE

HB Vertical detachable tow bar: HERE

HB & Saloon can only have a detachable type tow bar, can tow 450kg unbraked 750kg braked with a max nose weight of 75kg, Touring Sports can also have a Fixed tow bar as well as the detachable options with the same weights as HB/Saloon.

Accessory information: HERE

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thanks again for the useful posts Rambler and Devon Aygo.

I noted the distinction between the vertical and horizontal detachable bars in your reply, Devon.  I'll admit to not having heard of this distinction before !

Reading up on the internet it sounds like vertical could be preferred on the basis it is less visible when the bar is detached.  However I note you have the horizontal, Rambler and it looks pretty smart.

Any thoughts and advice on which to choose (assuming I'm given the choice - the dealer didn't even mention the distinction when I enquired).

Thanks again.

2 minutes ago, PhilB63 said:

Thanks again for the useful posts Rambler and Devon Aygo.

I noted the distinction between the vertical and horizontal detachable bars in your reply, Devon.  I'll admit to not having heard of this distinction before !

Reading up on the internet it sounds like vertical could be preferred on the basis it is less visible when the bar is detached.  However I note you have the horizontal, Rambler and it looks pretty smart.

Any thoughts and advice on which to choose (assuming I'm given the choice - the dealer didn't even mention the distinction when I enquired).

Thanks again.

There are the 2 versions on the configurator and nothing I could find to identify what the difference was.  I spoke to the dealer, they did not know, Google didn't help.  One of the experts on here may have a definitive answer i.e. is it down to how the tow bar attaches to the socket, or is it to do with the position and action of the electrics, or does vertical not require the 'cut out' in the rear bumper (looks very neat on mine)?  I tend to leave my tow bar in place permanently, partly due to having a knackered knee, partly due to having the blanking plug work loose and drop out on my previous car and the resultant crap that got in the socket (I fitted a cork fishing float inside the blanking plug and that did the trick!), 

• Thanks 1

I found the below link.  It's not related to Toyota towbars but gives an interesting summary of the differences between the horizontal and vertical types:

http://www.towbarsdirect.co.uk/detachable.htm#:~:text=A horizontal detachable towbars is,part of the main towbar.&text=On newer vehicles a vertical,leaves room for a horizontal.

I'll ask the question of the dealer tomorrow and see what their advice is.

Thanks again for all the information.

• Thanks 2

Looking at the documents Devon Aygo posted above, the rear crash bar is removed and replaced by the towbar frame. Ask for it back and sell it on eBay or similar.

• Thanks 1

Good thinking Rav4ster - although in my case I'll be buying the tow bar as part of the deal for the car, so I don't think I'll be in a position to ask for the rear crash bar back.

Although your comment helps me better understand what they are doing here.  I did wonder if they were putting all this additional metal work into the car how that would affact fuel economy etc, but if the new fitting is to replace something (so it's just a rear crash bar with a tow bar fitting included) then that should be of minimal or less impact (although comments welcome if I have this wrong).

Things are moving forward with the car, negotations are nearly complete.  I heard from the dealer today that they will fit a "vertical" detachable tow bar (which seems to be the best option from what I've read).  When I have the car I'll post another update with some photographs for info (and to hopefully help anyone else who reads this thread with a similar question in the future).  It will be interesting to compare the layout with the photos posted by Devon Aygo of the horizontal type.

Cheers, Phil

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, PhilB63 said:

Good thinking Rav4ster - although in my case I'll be buying the tow bar as part of the deal for the car, so I don't think I'll be in a position to ask for the rear crash bar back.

Although your comment helps me better understand what they are doing here.  I did wonder if they were putting all this additional metal work into the car how that would affact fuel economy etc, but if the new fitting is to replace something (so it's just a rear crash bar with a tow bar fitting included) then that should be of minimal or less impact (although comments welcome if I have this wrong).

Things are moving forward with the car, negotations are nearly complete.  I heard from the dealer today that they will fit a "vertical" detachable tow bar (which seems to be the best option from what I've read).  When I have the car I'll post another update with some photographs for info (and to hopefully help anyone else who reads this thread with a similar question in the future).  It will be interesting to compare the layout with the photos posted by Rambler of the horizontal type.

Cheers, Phil

Sorry, above edited for accuracy (sorry Rambler - I mis-attributed your pictures !!)

• 1 month later...

Following the great discussion and advice in the thread above, I thought I would provide a brief summary of what I got in the end and a few photographs.  Hope that will help anyone with a similar question in the future.

After all the good advice, I did, indeed, buy a Corolla - in the end I went for the 2.0 L and picked up an ex-demonstrator model (so about 6 months old and about 2000 miles on the clock).  Very pleased with it so far !!

Regarding the tow bar, I did get this fitted by the dealer in the end.  The dealer confirmed the conclusions discussed on here - that is to say, you can get a tow bar fitted on the hatchback (despite being told it was not possible at one point), but it cannot be factory fitted (unlike the TS), it has to be a dealer fit which does make it pricey.

In the end I paid £729 ex VAT (£875 inc VAT) which was a bit less than I'd originally been told (£1000).  Not sure if that was related to the fact I got the ex-demo car in the end rather than new, but I wasn't complaining.

Still pricey though (compared to third party quotations) - however, to be clear I am very pleased with the tow bar and the installation.  It is a great bit of kit and a super tidy job so I'm very happy to have spent the extra money.

I went for the "vertical detachable" option and when it is not attached you really would have no idea the car had a tow bar fitment there (even the attachment for the power folds up under the rear trim so is not visible when not in use !!  You just pull it down when you want to use it).  I'll include some pictures with the bar on and off so you can get the idea.

Fitting the bar can be a bit fiddly, but it has a nice colour coding system so it is clear when it is securely fastened.  It also has a lock and key to prevent it being pinched.

The pictures will hopefully illustrate and these will follow in my next post.

I've not done anything yet regarding the roof bars - we don't need the capacity just yet, so we'll live with the car until we do and then can make a better decision regarding roof box size - however for the rails I think the genuine Toyota ones are the ones to go for (I've already found the locating points).  I'll post a further update as and when we do anything further on this.

As I say, photos to follow....

image.thumb.png.6e52a837053e970c7609ff53e4b7e838.png

Close up with tow bar in place (sorry I forgot to pull down the electric fitting so you can't even see it in the picture !).

image.thumb.png.370cca5e65fa3ee1395e4729af0869f3.png

Close up with tow bar removed - nice and neat !!

image.thumb.png.aacb00e887dc161243222dd3ee0f5e00.png

Tow bar itself out of the car.

image.thumb.png.e0c8e038988800a055d0e40ee0446aa3.png

Long view with the tow bar in place

image.thumb.png.c0fc72993dfeec842e6960fded5a1ec5.png

Long view with tow bar removed (nothing in sight !)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

PS - If anyone is interested in tow bar mounted bike racks, we got the "Thule EasyFold XT2" in the end.

Again, not a cheap option, but very pleased.  Very robust, lockable and folds up nicely to stow in the garage when not in use.

Some photos of the rack on the car (on the new tow bar !!) below for interest....

image.thumb.png.a16ccf795e8e4f6075679b4a06e0e83f.png

As you'll see below it will fold back to allow access into the boot and this works really well (again very solid and secure):

image.thumb.png.532fb776a99bc3724e8de896f99c32b9.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi. Be careful. I had an issue recently when the central locking would not set when we went on holiday. I then learned that there seem to be 3 sensors in the roof behind the rear seats and if you pile your luggage too high, the system won’t set. The boot shut perfectly but the car would not lock. As soon as you reduced the luggage to the level of the parcel shelf or emptied, all worked fine. I guess it is some kind of safety feature perhaps. Definitely need a roof box as you struggle to get a prom and holiday luggage for a family of four in.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, tadcad said:

Hi. Be careful. I had an issue recently when the central locking would not set when we went on holiday. I then learned that there seem to be 3 sensors in the roof behind the rear seats and if you pile your luggage too high, the system won’t set. The boot shut perfectly but the car would not lock. As soon as you reduced the luggage to the level of the parcel shelf or emptied, all worked fine. I guess it is some kind of safety feature perhaps. Definitely need a roof box as you struggle to get a prom and holiday luggage for a family of four in.

Many thanks for the tip tadcad, I'll keep an eye out for that.  It would certainly be very limiting to loading the car up if you have to stick to the level of the parcel shelf (and very disappointing if you can't shut off that feature).

Has anyone else experienced the same?

I might try and recreate this with some empty boxes over the weekend !

Thanks again,

Phil

Although thinking about it, if the sensors are behind the rear seats then maybe that wouldn't be too restrictive in the hatch.  Probably more so in the TS?  I'll keep an eye out for it though.  Thanks again. 

Currently thinking of the tow bar for my 1.8 Corolla TS Trek, I've priced the whole job at local dealer as the towbar was not available as factory fit on the TREK model. I'm looking at the vertical with detachable tow bar. There just over a £100 difference between 7pin and 13pin. My main  purpose for the bar is a bike rack but I'm not ruling out a trailer on occasion. Given the limited towing weight of the hybrid is there any need for a 13 pin which looks to me like its really for caravan towing which it seems the hybrid engine is not suitable for. The bike racks I've looked at seem to have 7 pin and most rear lighting boards I've seen also 7 pin.  As far as I can see, I would only be missing reversing light function if one was to be fitted to a trailer or lighting board. Am I missing something else, I would hate to regret the choice but its £100.

9 hours ago, pmf said:

As far as I can see, I would only be missing reversing light function if one was to be fitted to a trailer or lighting board. Am I missing something else, I would hate to regret the choice but its £100.

For safety reasons (be safe be seen) surely you would opt to have reversing light capability.

Depends on the bike rack.  The Thule EasyFold has a 13 pin connector (and therefore presumably the reversing light capability - although I must say I've not checked).  But a lot do have 7 pin connectors as you say.

I believe you can get a converter, so my choice would have been 13 pin to future proof even if I had gone with a 7 pin bike rack.

Hope that helps.

PS - surprised that the Trek doesn't offer a factory fit tow bar option.  My understanding is the Trek is essentially a modified TS and in the previous discussion it seemed clear that a factory fit was possible for the TS (just not the hatch).  However it was equally clear that people were getting very mixed messages from dealers so could be worth double checking. 

Thanks for advice, I have booked car in for a vertical detacheable towball and 13 pin to be fitted. I think your right better to be future proofed. For info, as Phil was told initially advised might be close to £1000 but after staff did a bit more checking found Toyota offer as a dealer fit option 7 PIN £724 and 13 PIN £828 all inclusive of parts, labour and VAT. Local dealer is always helpful. 

Re the COROLLA TS TREK,  in the UK there is virtually no available configuration of this trim level. You can choose engine, colour and only whether you want black or red mirrors as £87 extra  and a £25 safety kit. No other packs or options available to add. I think the UK marketing department forgot who they were targeting the TREK at. I would have thought the obvious was the tow bar, boot liner, spare wheel etc as I would definately have added these items.

Given the tow bar cost at dealer I was going to settle for the roof bars to carry bikes, but previously did that and switched to tow bar set up as so much easier. A few other things will go on back burner now. I did consider an aftermarket set up but didn't want to take chance re any non dealer work on electrical system affecting warranty.