Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Genuine Toyota Dash Cam

Hussain17

Has anyone had the front and rear Dash Cam installed from their Toyota dealer? 
If so how’s the interface on the dash cam compared to others on the market?

There are two types, both by Nextbase. One is two separate cameras facing front and rear, footage accessed by the CAM VIEWER app. Then one unit fitted in the front which points front and rear, with a screen on it. Personally I prefer the camera to do what they do, record the footage and if you need it, download it via the app. Having it on a screen, IMHO is a waste of time 

• Like 1

Mine is the 2 separate camera version fitted at the dealers, again, seems a bit pointless having one with a screen showing where you are going/leaving behind.  I either use the app or for ease just take out the micro sd card and load directly to computer if I need any footage.

• Like 1

I have a single forward facing Nextbase. The screen is useful to make sure that the camera is actually pointing in the right direction.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RabButler said:

I have a single forward facing Nextbase. The screen is useful to make sure that the camera is actually pointing in the right direction.

I have Nextbase front & rear separate cameras. Screen shows footage front and small rectangle of footage of rear camera simultaneously. Although full screen not visible from the driving position, it is obvious that both cameras are functioning which is helpful. Fitted by Halfords technician. But that’s another story.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Bernard Foy said:

I have Nextbase front & rear separate cameras. Screen shows footage front and small rectangle of footage of rear camera simultaneously. Although full screen not visible from the driving position, it is obvious that both cameras are functioning which is helpful. Fitted by Halfords technician. But that’s another story.

Rare to see Halfords & Technician in same sentence

• Haha 3

On 3/11/2021 at 6:50 PM, RabButler said:

4 hours ago, Timh21 said:

Rare to see Halfords & Technician in same sentence

🤣 Let tell you the whole story. I bought a front and rear camera from Halfords and fitted by their “technician”. The front camera failed after two months, “not a problem” they said and plugged in another new one. That one went blankety blank after one week. So back I went, and they said “we are having problems with our own brand dash cams we will replace them with two Nextbase cams, but we will have to re-wire again because the fittings are different”. So that was grand both were working properly. About a fortnight later I was washing and vacuuming the car and whilst in the boot I decided for some reason to have a look at the spare wheel as I had never looked at it since it was a new car. I discovered water in the wheel well. So off I went to the Toyota dealer, and they had discovered that the wiring loom had be replaced due to a little clips on the rubber grommet had been broken by Halfords “technician” and was not seating properly causing the leak and cost me €150 to replace the (loom and grommet) which is one piece. The Toyota dealer in his written report stated that the Halfords “technician” had caused the problem. So back again to with the letter from Toyota and the now useless wiring loom. After speaking on the phone to someone in higher authority the Halfords guy paid me €150 cash saying “that’s covered by our insurance”. So it’s no wonder I laughed 🤣😂 when I read your comment  “Halfords and technician” in the same sentence 😂🤣👍

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Bernard Foy said:

🤣 Let tell you the whole story. I bought a front and rear camera from Halfords and fitted by their “technician”. The front camera failed after two months, “not a problem” they said and plugged in another new one. That one went blankety blank after one week. So back I went, and they said “we are having problems with our own brand dash cams we will replace them with two Nextbase cams, but we will have to re-wire again because the fittings are different”. So that was grand both were working properly. About a fortnight later I was washing and vacuuming the car and whilst in the boot I decided for some reason to have a look at the spare wheel as I had never looked at it since it was a new car. I discovered water in the wheel well. So off I went to the Toyota dealer, and they had discovered that the wiring loom had be replaced due to a little clips on the rubber grommet had been broken by Halfords “technician” and was not seating properly causing the leak and cost me €150 to replace the (loom and grommet) which is one piece. The Toyota dealer in his written report stated that the Halfords “technician” had caused the problem. So back again to with the letter from Toyota and the now useless wiring loom. After speaking on the phone to someone in higher authority the Halfords guy paid me €150 cash saying “that’s covered by our insurance”. So it’s no wonder I laughed 🤣😂 when I read your comment  “Halfords and technician” in the same sentence 😂🤣👍

Yeah, bless em. Like anything Im sure some are better than others, but personally I wouldnt let them change a wiper blade, but then Ive had issues with supposed Main Dealer factory trained mechanics. Unfortunately the bar was set pretty high being brought up and taught by an ex RAF technician (Dad)

• Like 1

I am always puzzled by anyone calling someone on counter sales a 'technician ', just as I find it hilarious seeing somebody ask a pc world sales assistant about IT (building engines, home servicing/repair for 40yrs plus, and I work in IT).

With regard to Nextbase (I have an old one), just be aware that they are Battery based, and great at leaving you in the lurch when really needed.

If you want something decent,  look for a capacitor based one such as viofio, ugly, conceal easy, no unreliable suction mount,amazing quality and reliability. 

I suggest looking at a reputable Dashcam FB group for advice. 

Wiring,  I never trash my cars, have my viofo and Nextbase in my Corolla TS, no visible wiring,  and not a trim panel pulled off at any point 😉

On 3/11/2021 at 12:46 PM, Hussain17 said:

Has anyone had the front and rear Dash Cam installed from their Toyota dealer? 
If so how’s the interface on the dash cam compared to others on the market?

I had my dealer for this front facing one to my Corolla GR and the same but the rear as well to my CHR Orange. I find them both acceptable but not as good as the Blackvue dash cams previously fitted.

https://www.nextbase.com/en-gb/help-and-support/dash-cams/380gw-dash-cam-support/

regards

I had the Nextbase Duo HD Dashcam fitted by my dealer when I bought my RAV4.  Personally, I think it's rubbish, and certainly wouldn't recommend it.  A friend bought a Skoda at the same time and his dealer fitted a similar Nextbase camera, but with a separate, wired, rear camera.

To be fair, when it works, and provided you disable the parking mode, it's ok with reasonably good picture quality.  The fact that it's an all-in-one unit with a rear facing camera built in at least means it's not necessary to trail a lead all the way to the back window.

The rear camera uses a telephoto lens and is ok, even with two people in the back.  A centre passenger or piled high luggage would probably compromise it's rear view however.

On my previous two Toyotas, I did my own research, bought my camera and had the dealer fit them.  I wish I'd done that this time.

The screen, as others have said, is helpful for making sure it's position is correctly adjusted, and makes changing settings a doddle.  It appeared to meet my requirements, which was mainly good quality footage, a rear camera and parking mode.

My three main complaints are:

1: Periodic failure to start recording, and occasional crashes needing a hard reset.

About once a week (in normal, non-lockdown times) it fails to start, or starts some time into a journey.  Pulling over and manually starting it usually works, but sometimes it needs the reset button holding in.  My dealer said another customer had the same problem and he replaced both units, but with no improvement in my case.  I took it up with Nextbase Support and they sent me a Nextbase branded SD card, but it didn't fix the problem.  Their answer then was for me to ask my dealer for another replacement.

2: Parking Mode is unusable

My previous two cameras (a Road Angel Halo and a RoadHawk DC-1) used the car Battery to maintain parking mode, with continuous monitoring and retaining before and after footage when impact or movement was detected.  Their systems monitord 12V Battery voltage, and if it started to drop the camera would shut down.

The Nextbase camera (and my friend's is the same) uses an internal rechargeable Battery to monitor for impacts (only, not movement), which causes it to start up and make a brief recording, but only recording from several seconds after the event.  The problem is, even with G-Force sensitivity set to the lowest setting, just about anything from a gnat sneezing sets it off.  It also means when in active mode while driving, well over half the clips are 'protected events', so actually finding an incident is a headache.  Triggering events can include:

• a moderate gust of wind when parked
  • opening or closing a door
  • moving a sun visor
  • a slight bump in the road

This can mean, after being parked on a windy day, the internal battery goes flat, and causes lots of warnings and shut downs when the car is switched on, or sometimes it won't start at all until a hard reset is performed.

I asked my friend if he had the same problem, and he told me he'd disabled parking mode after reading some review websites where lots of users complained about it and ended up turning parking mode off.  I've reluctantly done the same.

3: Phone linking doesn't seem to work for any Android phones (but does for iPhones it seems).

Again, looking at a number of reviews on various site, there are lots of complaints that Android phones (from various manufacturers) refuse to link to Nextbase dashcams.  I've given up trying on both my phones.