Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Long crank time when hot 2005 RAV4 2.4

Trex71

hello all I’m new to the club, I have a 2005 Toyota RAV4 that I bought new in 2005, 2.4 liter, auto, all wheel drive, with 224,500 miles. 
I have the dreaded long crank time when hot and I can’t figure it out. I have replaced the fuel pump, regulator, camshaft position sensor, crank shaft position sensor, checked the purge valve, VSV, new grounds, plugs, cleaned mass air sensor, new Battery, changed fuel relay, thermostat, water pump, and radiator.

please help, I feel like I’m just throwing money at it and it’s not helping.

any insight would be great. 
located in Missouri USA 

16 minutes ago, Trex71 said:

hello all I’m new to the club, I have a 2005 Toyota RAV4 that I bought new in 2005, 2.4 liter, auto, all wheel drive, with 224,500 miles. 
I have the dreaded long crank time when hot and I can’t figure it out. I have replaced the fuel pump, regulator, camshaft position sensor, crank shaft position sensor, checked the purge valve, VSV, new grounds, plugs, cleaned mass air sensor, new battery, changed fuel relay, thermostat, water pump, and radiator.

please help, I feel like I’m just throwing money at it and it’s not helping.

any insight would be great. 
located in Missouri USA 

Hi, 

I had similar issues T25 avensis for like one year, but it was 2.2 d4d diesel, and allways when hot, didn't start changed Battery, injectors, scv-valve To injection pump, crank and cam sensors nothing did not help. 

After replacing starter motor, the issue was solved on my car. 

The old starter worked and rotated but it was kinda lazy(noticed after change, you could hear it) and the new one did rotate much faster. The old one didnt make any abnormal noise, and didnt even thought it would be bad. 

I Bought used 60tkm drived one from scrapyard(Finland)for 50€ so not big cost To test, or go and check similar car and listen how the others crank. 

• Like 1

I’m glad you were able to find your solution, I have read that starter could be a issue but I’m not sure, mines a gasoline one but I will sure put starter on my list.

Thank you very much 

P.S. I’m in Missouri USA 

That's quite a list of attempts to fix! As you've spent a lot already you here's something free to try; clean the connections on the earth leads between the Battery and chassis and the chassis to engine (I assume it will be two leads like this as per the diesel but can't be sure for your engine) - basically make sure there is a good earth to the engine as the starter motor relies on that.

Thank you very much, I did replace a few ground wires and checked ground continuity all over the engine 

Sorry I missed that you'd put in new grounds. In which case I would say there are probably two possible (inter-related) causes:

1) The starter motor is knackered and needs replacing

2) Electrical resistance increases with heat so something is getting hot AND has a bad connection/bit of corrosion

If you are sure the earths are good then the next cheapest option is to heat shield the starter motor. If it is getting old ie bit worn out and higher than normal resistance then the heat of normal use may be putting it under pressure. Bring its temp down a little and you may find it has enough oomph. Heat shields are cheap so perhaps worth a try? 

However, if that helps it means the motor's probably on the way out so you'll need to replace at some point.

Personally I'd spend $20 on a heat shield to see if it helps before spending $150-200 on a new starter motor, but horses for courses....