Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Reflective dashboard

GodfreyD

Driving towards the sun causes reflection off the non Matt dashboard onto the windscreen. Anyone have a solution to prevent that?

Yep my 1919 hybrid corolla 2L excel was fitted with that option.

Its one of the few poor design features on the corolla.

I tried wipes that were supposed to give a mat finish  but that did not work.

I now use, on the drivers side, a piece of thin black mat foam from Hobbycraft. It reduces  the glare but takes off when blowing air to windscreen or when windows open or door open!

Would welcome any suitable alternative solutions. 

I think all cars are like that. I have seen rally cars dashboards are covered in synthetic suede fabrics to prevent sun glare. You can use any peace of material that works similar but you may need to glue it to the dash or stick with thin double sided tape, but that may leave some residue after removing. 🤔💭

Have you looked online for dash covers or rubber mats for dash could they help?

I'm sure there must be a solution particularly hot countries where they try to protect the dash

I had the same problem in my Auris so bought a cheap black pillowcase from ASDA and folded it to fit. Some people don't notice the dashboard reflection but I certainly do. 

The Honda Jazz could be very annoying like that for some people due to the rake of the screen and huuuuge area of dash. I never noticed myself and have wondered if it's because I'm always wearing polarised glasses while driving (photochromic at night, 'proper' sunglasses during the day(*)).

(*)Because photochromic lenses react to UV which means they don't darken inside a car.

20 minutes ago, AndrueC said:

The Honda Jazz could be very annoying like that for some people due to the rake of the screen and huuuuge area of dash. I never noticed myself and have wondered if it's because I'm always wearing polarised glasses while driving (photochromic at night, 'proper' sunglasses during the day(*)).

(*)Because photochromic lenses react to UV which means they don't darken inside a car.

Yes, glasses has helped for sure . I think this with dashboard sun reflecting has always been in any cars but before the older models has somehow smaller dashboards and smaller windscreens in more upright position and those had less affect on reflection. I know one solution, not going to use myself but if you keep your dashboard well dusted the reflection will almost disappear 😂👍

Ive always used gtechniq matte dash c6 since my Jazz days...  Seems the best of the bunch.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/12/2021 at 1:54 PM, catnash said:

Ive always used gtechniq matte dash c6 since my Jazz days...  Seems the best of the bunch.

Tried this (from Amazon @ £12) and in the glorious sunshine we had in UK over the last two days it worked a treat. Thanks for recommending it catnash. Did not use much so even if it needs doing every month the bottle should last a long time.