Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Auris Headlights and Other ....

sproutdreamer

Hi

New in the Auris forum, be gentle.

I was looking for an Avensis Business Edition plus auto petrol but the older petrol 1.8 auto ones are scarce particularly the saloons so I have started looking at the Auris Excel. It is a smaller model but I do like the manual handbrake rather than the potential problems with the electric handbrake.

My T25, whilst I love the car has crap headlights and despite bulb upgrades is still poor so I would like the Bi LED headlights of the Auris.

My questions

1.Are these headlights really good-I would hate to buy one and still be disappointed.

2. The 1.2 engine seems to have similar acceleration to a T25 but is this an underpowered car?

I would have liked autonomous emergency braking but this does not seem to be available on any spec Auris, although I have not looked at the hybrid models as elec does not interest me.

Any particular thing to look out for on a 15 plate CVT Auris.

Facelift Auris has TSS available which includes autonomous emergency braking. The LED headlights are pretty good in my experience. You'll need an Excel spec car to get them though if memory serves.

Thanks for info, that is encouraging. What year did the facelift happen & what is TSS?

5 minutes ago, sproutdreamer said:

Thanks for info, that is encouraging. What year did the facelift happen & what is TSS?

Sometime in 2015. My Auris was first registered in April 2015 and is pre facelift and no TSS. TSS stands For Toyota Safety Sense. Auto Braking, road sign recognition, self parking. And believe lane assist warning. Some only available like parking on Excel trims.

James.

Thanks James - the only TSS I have found are on the Excel Estates and not keen on an estate so I will keep looking.

• 1 month later...

For those who don't have LED headlight try "Osram Nightbreaker Unlimited" bulbs  available via E Bay at about £20/25 or so a pair made in H4 and H7.

Best "ordinary" bulbs I have ever used and last about two years or so, perhaps not as long as some others but they do have some Zenon in the bulb to make it brighter.  There is also "Osram Nightbreaker  Lazer" but I found them not quite as good as the "Unlimited". Either worth trying.

Geoff.

Slight hitch to that - the Auris uses HIR2 bulbs. Only option I'm aware of (via this forum) is the Toyota Optiwhite bulb, which is high output like the Osrams.

I ran Nightbreakers and Philips equivalents in my old car. They're pretty effective when new, but performance drops after a couple years of typical use.

HIR2 upgrades are now available from bulb manufacturers such as Elta and PIAA. Elta bulbs are also sold under the Lucas and Q-Lux brands. The Toyota Optiwhites are made by Philips. 

Just be wary of the performance claims. HIR2 bulbs are around 70% brighter than 'standard halogen' - but some manufacturers show performance against 'standard halogen' bulbs rather than HIR2 bulbs.

The downside with any upgrade bulb is shorter life compared to 'standard halogen' - generally the brighter the bulb, the shorter the life.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

HIR2 upgrades are now available from bulb manufacturers such as Elta and PIAA. Elta bulbs are also sold under the Lucas and Q-Lux brands. The Toyota Optiwhites are made by Philips. 

Just be wary of the performance claims. HIR2 bulbs are around 70% brighter than 'standard halogen' - but some manufacturers show performance against 'standard halogen' bulbs rather than HIR2 bulbs.

The downside with any upgrade bulb is shorter life compared to 'standard halogen' - generally the brighter the bulb, the shorter the life.

I have Optiwhites in my Auris and Elta in the Yaris . Not sure if the headlight itself is making the difference but I find the light output of the Elta bulb is better than the optiwhite and they are cheaper as well 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, stevecrvn said:

I have Optiwhites in my Auris and Elta in the Yaris . Not sure if the headlight itself is making the difference but I find the light output of the Elta bulb is better than the optiwhite and they are cheaper as well 

Do both, the Auris and Yaris have HIR 2 bulbs?

Depends which spec and year Auris or Yaris.

2 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Depends which spec and year Auris or Yaris.

I was referring to stevecrvn's cars since he compared the two bulb companies and their light output in two of his cars. Since the light output would depend heavily on the type of bulb (for e.g. H4 vs HIR ) and many other factors so my question really is, are we doing apples to apples or apples to orange comparison?

27 minutes ago, rajivrattna said:

Since the light output would depend heavily on the type of bulb.

The performance would also be dependent on the headlight unit For example the pre facelift Auris (> mid 2015) had different headlights to the post facelift (< mid 2015), and there were issues for some owners with the pre facelift headlight units as regards performance. So it isn't only the bulb thst affects performance.

As regards the Yaris some specs had H4 bulbs and some HIR2. So my previous post is valid.

5 hours ago, rajivrattna said:

Do both, the Auris and Yaris have HIR 2 bulbs?

Yes they do 

• 1 month later...

I have a 2016 Auris Excel hybrid hatchback. It came with bi-LED headlights as standard. 
First car I’ve had with LED headlights and LED main beam. They are incredibly good and are self levelling too. It’s a big thumbs up from me. 👍🏻👍🏻

C4964CD5-C98E-43C8-A603-54F5101955C2.jpeg