Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dip in bumper. What lies beneath :0 ?

Windinherhair

https://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/197888-replacing-rear-bumper-2009-rav4/

As a follow on to my post last month, I ordered a new bumper protector. When I went to fit it, 2 things happened.

1. Toyota had sent the wrong part, i.e. the protector for the version with the numberplate on the bumper and not on the door. I had given them my reg before ordering, so a refund shouldn't be a problem. It's on it's way back to them now.

2. I noticed this dip in the middle of the bumper. To be fair, I don't know if it was there before the bumper repair was done. It could have been hidden by the previous guard (which snapped when being removed- fair enough).

Can anyone tell me what is behind the bumper here? Should it be supported at this point? Is there any problem with leaving it be? We have a whippet jumping in and out of the boot, so no huge weight issue! I'm reluctant to remove the bumper and investigate in case it puts stress on the repair.

I'd really appreciate any input.

Thanks

WhatsApp Image 2021-03-12 at 16.36.59.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-03-12 at 16.37.00 (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-03-12 at 16.37.00 (2).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-03-12 at 16.37.00.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Try to push the bumper up from underneath by hand, it's easily accessible. I had similar issue and when pushed the bumper up it just popped in place. 

On 3/20/2021 at 7:46 PM, Kos_ta said:

Try to push the bumper up from underneath by hand, it's easily accessible. I had similar issue and when pushed the bumper up it just popped in place. 

Thanks for your input Kosta. It isn't very accessible on my Rav due to the towbar crossmember being in the way, but I did manage to get at it with a wooden spatula.
It just pushes back down though with very little pressure.
I solved it this weekend though! I had an aluminium ruler I bought from Asda for £2 a few weeks ago- stock photo attached. Basically, I measured and drilled another hole at the opposite end and, with a bit of footering, managed to get it in under that section of bumper. I aligned the holes with the supports and secured with the push rivets! See arrows on second pic. (That's a photo taken before the repair)
It works a treat. I got a refund from Toyota no problem for the wrong bumper protector and the RGM one is now fixed in place. :thumbsup:

ruler.jpg

bumper.jpg

• Like 1