Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

My small white iQ is furious at Toyota's refusal to repaint my roof

Samantha Covington

As regards legalities, this issue would come under the small claims court system. I would suggest that Toyota's stance of providing goodwill contributions on vehicles up to 10 years old, would be seen as reasonable and doubt whether a small claims court would expect a manufacturer to go beyond this level of help.

In the UK, Toyota GB have already helped numbers of IQ owners who had similar issues with the pearlescent white paint and who met the goodwill requirements then applicable.

4 hours ago, Mooly said:

I've no idea what the legalities are on anything like this, all I would say is that this is such a serious and also uncommon (generally within the motor trade) issue that perhaps there would be some form of legal redress if it was pursued. It is just so obviously a major manufacturing defect (and widely acknowledged to be so) that it might be worth getting professional independent legal advice.

Given the known circumstance of this particular situation, there is no legal redress Mooly.  

Hello again.. to be honest i was only looking for a white one too but of all the things i've read it does only seem that its the pearl white that has the issues 😞

The uneducated expert in me 😆 would hazard a guess it's the old sytle pearlesent paint.. my dad has a 10 plate fiat diablo with light blue pearl paint and his is flaking too 😞

I was quoted £300 to have the roof and wing mirrors sprayed ( i actually had the roof, mirrors, door handles and those 4 triangular-ish bits on the bumpers done in the end in matt black 😍) and I had looked into vinyl wrapping but it was around the same cost as a respray but only lasts on average 5 years before needing to be done again! (i'm hoping the car lives longer than that! 🤞)    

• 1 year later...

I also have a problem with peeling paint on my bonnet and now my roof of my 2010 IQ. At 1st thought it was chips on the bonnet from stones driving but it's not, all peeling. Toyota don't want to know, going to try the ombudsman. It's unfair as it's their fault, I'm now in a situation that I need to sell it but probably won't get a good price due to the paint work. I lose out due to their fault. Im scared to wash it as it just gets worse. It runs well, but high mileage & to repaint will cost almost what car is worth. 

14 minutes ago, Midsummer21 said:

I also have a problem with peeling paint on my bonnet and now my roof of my 2010 IQ

The paint warranty would have been 3 years from first registration.

If you look through the earlier posts of this topic, you will see that Toyota did help some owners as a goodwill gesture, but have now put an age limit of 10 years on further requests for help

Your car is now 12 years old and is outside scope.

Roof and bonnet you're looking at £4-500 done by a good independent, where are you in Kent

your SOL with Toyota, It's just a car thing a better looking car will increase the value and with car prices still on the rise it maybe worth more than you think

It's not just the roof, it's also the bonnet, so an expensive job for me! It's not even g'teed that the new paint would match the old. So forgive me but I'm hugely frustrated.  I wasn't aware of the issue until it had gone past the 10 years, so not really fair. Never experienced anything like this with other cars. If I sell via privately I'm out to lose alot of money. I have tried the ombudsman but haven't heard back from them. 

A decent painter will be able to match the new paint shade to the rest of the car.

Avoid insurance approved body shops & find the local non insurance approved body shop that the mini cab guys use, these type of places will do a decent job for a fair price. 

• Like 1

It will be colour matched, you can blend and mix colours they even have spectrum analysers and reflectometers, the best will colour match by eye, i have 2 local places one does work on all sorts of car including high-end Aston, Ferrari and BMW the other does all sorts too including  new kit cars both do not do insurance work

loosing out a lot on money ? Cars are a deprecating asset, you can't add running cost to the value of the car, bite the bullet and get it sorted, average yearly mileage is 10-15K a year so its at 120-150k miles

Trust me, you're wasting your time as you're 9 years out of paint warranty, you have no legal standing, proof of the defect or unless you're the first owner any knowledge of repairs that have been done to the paintwork, Toyota goodwill only usually extend to a car with a full dealer service history and that is down to the franchised dealer knowing most of them in the southeast they don't give an **** about a 12 year old, out of production car, heck getting anything done on a car over 5 years old is a struggle

worst ways you remove the flaky paint and vinyl wrap the roof, bonnet and possibly tailgate

PS. this forum has no affiliation with Toyota in any way

It sucks but it's just one of those unlucky things - Could have been scratched by bushes, damaged by vandals, cats or bird poo etc.

Toyota do try to make good on things - The AD-series engines was another thing they extended the warranty window on too, but they can't leave the door open forever; I suspect not many manufacturers would have left a 10 year window for such things.

Chalk it up to experience, maybe get a cool roof wrap instead :laugh:

Maybe get everyone to get a Mini-style union-jack on the roof for your birthday or something :biggrin: 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links