Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Should I get a Prius or Camry

Sloher

My current commuter is a 2015 Subaru Forester 6 speed. It has been great for 220k miles. Very little issues but I was hoping to have gotten 300k out of it since it is mostly highway miles. This was my first foreign vehicle and by far the most reliable. It now has 70 psi compression on cylinder 1 and the shop says that I need a new motor. So my options are get a used motor, short block, or something else. I drive 160- 220 miles each day for work. So I average about 1k miles weekly. It does snow in PA but not that many days per year. I am leaning towards getting a Toyota Prius and maybe a used truck or Subaru for snow only. I love the Forester in a manual transmission but not the CVT auto. This means I would be spending 17-18k for a used 2015-17 manual.

A Prius or Camry is tempting as they can be had for close to 10-12k and get better fuel mileage. Are there any year motors to avoid? How often do you change the Battery? Do you have to plug them in? I would really like a 2008 but am worried that I should go newer for crash safety reasons. These vehicles seem to be even more reliable than a Subaru and last even longer. Is AWD worth it in these? Or would I be better served at getting a regular truck with a posi rear and actual ground clearance for the few times I would even need it yearly?

I am also very tempted by the Rav4. They seem to be very reasonably priced. My friend said that his AWD Rav4 isn't as good as the Subaru system in deep snow. If this is not true, I would likely jump at the Rav 4. But if it is, I would rather have a Camry/ Prius and a snow only vehicle like a 90's F150. Thank you!

Toyota Owners Club is UK based - the majority of members being in the UK with a minority in Europe. Although Europe has mid range pick ups such as the Hilux, Mitsubishi L200, Ford Ranger, etc, we don't have full size pick ups like the F150, Tacoma, etc as official imports.

The Camry was reintroduced into Europe in 2019 after a 14 year gap.

You would probably be best to ask your question on a US/Canada based forum.

If you go on You Tube I sure you will get reviews on owning a Prius and Camry.  I have a 2017 Prius and love it. 

7 hours ago, Sloher said:

My current commuter is a 2015 Subaru Forester 6 speed. It has been great for 220k miles. Very little issues but I was hoping to have gotten 300k out of it since it is mostly highway miles. This was my first foreign vehicle and by far the most reliable. It now has 70 psi compression on cylinder 1 and the shop says that I need a new motor. So my options are get a used motor, short block, or something else. I drive 160- 220 miles each day for work. So I average about 1k miles weekly. It does snow in PA but not that many days per year. I am leaning towards getting a Toyota Prius and maybe a used truck or Subaru for snow only. I love the Forester in a manual transmission but not the CVT auto. This means I would be spending 17-18k for a used 2015-17 manual.

A Prius or Camry is tempting as they can be had for close to 10-12k and get better fuel mileage. Are there any year motors to avoid? How often do you change the battery? Do you have to plug them in? I would really like a 2008 but am worried that I should go newer for crash safety reasons. These vehicles seem to be even more reliable than a Subaru and last even longer. Is AWD worth it in these? Or would I be better served at getting a regular truck with a posi rear and actual ground clearance for the few times I would even need it yearly?

I am also very tempted by the Rav4. They seem to be very reasonably priced. My friend said that his AWD Rav4 isn't as good as the Subaru system in deep snow. If this is not true, I would likely jump at the Rav 4. But if it is, I would rather have a Camry/ Prius and a snow only vehicle like a 90's F150. Thank you!

Def a Prius d