Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MPG Yaris Hybrid

Mark Pritchard

Hi I’ve just bought a Toyota Yaris Hybrid launch edition but only getting about 53 MPG on A roads & around town is that normal as I was expecting more MPG?

I`d be perfectly with 53mpg Mark.

Hi and welcome.

53mpg sounds right for beginning especially if this is your first hybrid. With the time the car will break in and you will get use to it and learn some techniques how to drive efficiently, plus weather will warm up and you will be easily getting 63+ mpg. Tyres are one thing to double check as it’s important to be at correct pressure. New Yaris is an excellent small hatchback. 👍🚙

• Like 3

Given the weather, mid 50's is about right, once it warms up the mpg will go up

• Like 1

My Launch Edition is doing high 60s mpg regularly when I take it on its fortnightly 30 minute lockdown run, to keep the batteries charged. Route is on dual carriageway & A roads. 

So am very pleased with this, as well as the MyToyota  app. hybrid score of mid 70s

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mark Pritchard said:

Hi I’ve just bought a Toyota Yaris Hybrid launch edition but only getting about 53 MPG on A roads & around town is that normal as I was expecting more MPG?

Sounds pretty good to me given that it’s winter time and the car is new. My last measured mpg on my 2019 Yaris (the previous model) at the last fill on Feb 2nd was 37.5mpg. That’s on short runs around town where the Yaris is supposed to be at its most economical. But on a long run in June 2019 driving on motorways & a roads I achieved 64.9mpg. So weather temperatures can make a big difference in mpg along with a number of other variables. Your Yaris will be at its best from 10,000 miles onwards in warm weather.

• Like 1

I have the "Design" trim with the smaller wheels which is supposed to help economy a bit.

I get mid 60's mpg indicated on mixed route of around time and dual carriageways.

Around town exclusively it's usually in the low 70's, have seen it as high as 83 once for a couple of miles

• Like 1

Hybrids can have significant fuel efficiency difference depending on how and where they been used. If you anticipate the road, avoid hard braking and acceleration, use the glider technique where you accelerate smoothly using both electric motor and engine then release the accelerator slightly to force the car into ev mode and keep gliding you can achieve great fuel economy. If you are trying to “keep up with traffic” which these days means rally driving then efficiency won’t be as great. , but still better than regular petrol or diesel. 👍

10 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

Hybrids can have significant fuel efficiency difference depending on how and where they been used. If you anticipate the road, avoid hard braking and acceleration, use the glider technique where you accelerate smoothly using both electric motor and engine then release the accelerator slightly to force the car into ev mode and keep gliding you can achieve great fuel economy. If you are trying to “keep up with traffic” which these days means rally driving then efficiency won’t be as great. , but still better than regular petrol or diesel. 👍

As you imply Tony, the key word is anticipation.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Totally agree. Anticipation and gliding work well.

I try to ease off when up to speed and force the car to go into EV mode, get great economy then. I did 25 miles mostly around town earlier - the trip computer said 80 percent EV mode for the journey and 74 mpg.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Driving a Design, I am getting on average 65 to 75mpg without really trying.

There are some good video's on how to improve hybrid fuel economy.

• Like 1

What fuel range mileage on the display do people get in their Yaris Hybrids with a full tank of petrol? Both the new and older model. I know it varies from driving style but I'm just interested to know what people get.

3 hours ago, Vinylseats said:

What fuel range mileage on the display do people get in their Yaris Hybrids with a full tank of petrol? Both the new and older model. I know it varies from driving style but I'm just interested to know what people get.

New model : I'm pretty sure it said 475 miles range when i last filled it up.

• Like 1

On 3/16/2021 at 10:26 PM, Mikw said:

New model : I'm pretty sure it said 475 miles range when i last filled it up.

That's good for such a relatively small fuel tank (36L?).

21 hours ago, Vinylseats said:

That's good for such a relatively small fuel tank (36L?).

Yes, and much appreciated with the hugely increasing petrol prices at the moment.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mikw said:

Yes, and much appreciated with the hugely increasing petrol prices at the moment.

Indeed, fuel prices are up to the the sky again, why is that?! Are governments pushing people to switch to electric cars?