Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Catalytic Converter - Stolen (Where to buy?)

priusnoob

Hi

My cat has been stolen, so I kinda need a new one :(
I've discovered this:
TOYOTA PRIUS 1.8 02/09-11/16 Catalytic Converter - BM91975H BM91975H (cats2u.co.uk)

But I'm not sure if that would fit my 2014 Prius (Japanese import)

When I contacted the people at that website, they too weren't sure if it would fit. Does anyone know what part number would fit my car, or where I can find a place that details car parts for these cars?

Thanks

Haven't you contacted cats2u through their e-mail?

I was so concerned about Prius cats being stolen I decided to have a catloc fitted to my Gen4 Prius. It cost me £286 but to replace the cat would cost a lot more. I know it’s not fool proof but having the catloc makes it a darned sight more difficult to cut off the cat & it can’t be removed quickly & easily which makes my car less of a target. Also the cat is imprinted with a stamp that is stored with my car details. If the cat does get stolen therefore, there’s a fair chance the thieves will get caught when they try to sell it. As I said it’s not foolproof but after experiencing having your cat stolen I suggest you pay to get a catloc fitted after all what’s stopping thieves stealing your new cat that you’ll be paying out mega bucks to replace?

10 minutes ago, BhxTrev said:

I was so concerned about Prius cats being stolen I decided to have a catloc fitted to my Gen4 Prius. It cost me £286 but to replace the cat would cost a lot more. I know it’s not fool proof but having the catloc makes it a darned sight more difficult to cut off the cat & it can’t be removed quickly & easily which makes my car less of a target. Also the cat is imprinted with a stamp that is stored with my car details. If the cat does get stolen therefore, there’s a fair chance the thieves will get caught when they try to sell it. As I said it’s not foolproof but after experiencing having your cat stolen I suggest you pay to get a catloc fitted after all what’s stopping thieves stealing your new cat that you’ll be paying out mega bucks to replace?

Sure. Last time, Toyota wanted me to pay £600 which is a bit excessive. I think £300 is more like it

54 minutes ago, altocumulus said:

Haven't you contacted cats2u through their e-mail?

Hi

I contacted them via the phone. They said they're not sure if that would fit given that my car is an import.. That's why I'm wondering "maybe there's a part catalogue number somewhere" 

Thanks 

• Like 1

Going off the info given here, the oem part number is 17410-37311

as the cat has gone you will be missing the pipework, actuator and sensors

PM me your VIN and i can confirm the correct part

• Like 1

Where were you parked when they took it? It would be good if it was possible to log somewhere on forum the areas owners have been affected.

• Like 1

I tried to get a catloc fitted to my 2018 phev. The garage were sure it would fit, sadly not. I haven't investigated further for the 2020 version. Indeed it would be good to know locations, not that's any guarantee of course!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Rolando1 said:

Where were you parked when they took it? It would be good if it was possible to log somewhere on forum the areas owners have been affected.

Hey. in Headingley, Leeds. On a main road too 😞

23 minutes ago, Rolando1 said:

Anywhere you park , no matter place, time or way of parking, the thieves are just driving around and watching. They tend to visit  cul-de-sac places often , hospitals car parks , super stores car parks, cinemas when open, country parks and other leisure centres. The problem is that it’s not just few gangs  that are doing it but pretty much everyone can do everywhere in the country since metal traders are buying these off them for a good price. There are even one man cases filmed and reported, kind of good business. , and they do make more money than a highly skilled professionals. Government is sleeping, crocks are making money, normal people can’t sleep at night and pay high price for insurance and repairs. Welcome to modern Britain. Nowhere in Europe catalytic converter business is at such a high levels. 👍

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

Anywhere you park , no matter place, time or way of parking, the thieves are just driving around and watching. They tend to visit  cul-de-sac places often , hospitals car parks , super stores car parks, cinemas when open, country parks and other leisure centres. The problem is that it’s not just few gangs  that are doing it but pretty much everyone can do everywhere in the country since metal traders are buying these off them for a good price. There are even one man cases filmed and reported, kind of good business. , and they do make more money than a highly skilled professionals. Government is sleeping, crocks are making money, normal people can’t sleep at night and pay high price for insurance and repairs. Welcome to modern Britain. Nowhere in Europe catalytic converter business is at such a high levels. 👍

Yup. I live in a well off area too, with ordinarily few crime like this, but I guess they might be targeted because it's a well off area. 

According to @flash22 I require part number

17410-37311

I'm not sure where you can buy that from? 

2 hours ago, priusnoob said:

According to @flash22 I require part number

17410-37311

I'm not sure where you can buy that from? 

New only from Toyota as original part, why not claim on your insurance and let them deal with it. Only cost your excess and no trouble for the next year, slightly up eventually but you can always take new policy from different insurance and happy days. This is what I had done. 

Perhaps ask Parts-King for his best price?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

New only from Toyota as original part, why not claim on your insurance and let them deal with it. Only cost your excess and no trouble for the next year, slightly up eventually but you can always take new policy from different insurance and happy days. This is what I had done. 

My excess is like £700+
My insurance runs out at the end of this month too

the OP is having it looked at, depending whats been cut, if the secondary particulate filter has been left you can get the replacement aftermarket cat

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, flash22 said:

the OP is having it looked at, depending whats been cut, if the secondary particulate filter has been left you can get the replacement aftermarket cat

Definitely it’s gone, they always cut those together. You can still use aftermarket from Auris and eliminate the coolant pipes. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, priusnoob said:

My excess is like £700+
My insurance runs out at the end of this month too

Understand, sorry for you then. You can deal with the garage who is going to work on the car, they can eventually fit one from Auris without coolant pipes , they will need to connect those together. All depends what they want to do. Check Eurocarparts and eBay for aftermarket ones. 

• Like 1

I have seen them cut both ways

if you can get rid of the heater, a standard cat and a piece of exhaust pipe will work - protect it with a cat plate

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

On 3/14/2021 at 3:13 PM, flash22 said:

Going off the info given here, the oem part number is 17410-37311

as the cat has gone you will be missing the pipework, actuator and sensors

PM me your VIN and i can confirm the correct part

I've scoured eBay, and I've asked if they're compatible with my car reg, VIN and I've mentioned which Toyota Part it is as well as the fact that it's an import. I've also let them know that the OEM part is 17410-37311. @flash22 has also advised me that regarding the lambda/oxygen sensor, the OEM part is the Denso 89465-47080 which cross references to Denso DOX-0622, however Lucas ones are also decent should you want something cheaper.

The ONLY shop that said "Yes it's fine" is "rtgroup11" who also give a 5 year warranty on the following:

Approved Catalytic Converter + Oxygen Sensor for Toyota Prius 1.8 Hybrid 2009-16
£482.99
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/154110053630

It comes with fitting. They also have cat shield plate from the same company as follows, also with a 5 year warranty:

Catalytic Converter Anti Theft Plate Guard Cover For Toyota Prius 1.8 2009-2016
£39.99
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/154244201858 

If you buy everything from the same shop, it's £512.52

________________________________________________________________________________________________
I've got a feeling that this would do the exact same thing, but rtgroup were the only shop that said "Yup. It works for your car" The rtgroup on the eBay listing, like this one says it replaces OEM part 17410-37300, but it also appears to replace the 17410-37311 part too

CATALYTIC CONVERTER + OXYGEN SENSOR + FITTING FOR TOYOTA PRIUS HYBRID 1.8 2009-2016
£438.45
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265064073705

Lambda Sensor fits TOYOTA PRIUS ZVW3 1.8 Post Cat 08 to 13 2ZRFXE Oxygen Lucas 
ONLY if you want a better brand of lambda sensor
£27.38
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/233845001862

Catalytic Converter Anti Theft Plate Guard Cover For Toyota Prius 1.8 2009-2016
£39.99
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/154244201858 

Total: £478.44
So I could have saved £34.08 however rtgroup give a 5 year warranty, so it's "meh" The other one gives you three year warranty.

I got this fixed in Keighley at Budget Auto, and the labour was very reasonably priced. He only takes cash however. Way cheaper than other places in Yorkshire (and tbh, a lot of the country) I've always had my car serviced/repaired there, no matter where I am living in the country. He also welded the anti theft plate on too, which is good.

If you want the address for that its:
Budget Auto
Unit 2 Aire Valley House
Goulbourne Street
Keighley
West Yorkshire
BD21 1PG

That's where I got my car towed to. Your breakdown cover might tow it there for free, maybe.