Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Loud fan-like noise when reversing

S@un

Hi All,

I have a 2016 Toyota Aygo xshift. I am hearing a loud noise when reversing. It sounds like a fan coming on for about 10s and then goes off and then comes back on again after a minute or so. It's coming from under the bonnet and seems to happen after a couple of minutes of maneuvering to reverse into a parking bay. Is this normal? Here's an audio recording. The noise starts around 5 secs into the recording and goes on till 0:17. Sounds like a loud hover on the recording. Any ideas what this is?

Many thanks,

Shawn

That's the radiator cooling fan, do you have aircon?

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, PetrolDave said:

was going to say it sounds like the radiator fan. might just be kicking on coincidentally. 

2 hours ago, PetrolDave said:

The aircon is off. Would the radiator cooling fan still come on if it's off?

31 minutes ago, S@un said:

The aircon is off. Would the radiator cooling fan still come on if it's off?

Short answer is yes. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Bernard Foy said:

Short answer is yes. 

Ok. So nothing to be concerned about then? Was worried that there could be an issue since it was so loud...

4 minutes ago, S@un said:

Ok. So nothing to be concerned about then? Was worried that there could be an issue since it was so loud...

No nothing to worry about. You will find the the radiator fan which is thermostatically controlled will come on more frequently when the car is not being driven at speed or when sitting with the engine running. And on some cars it will continue running even though the car is switched off and locked up, until the desired cooling temperatures are achieved.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Bernard Foy said:

And on some cars it will continue running even though the car is switched off and locked up, until the desired cooling temperatures are achieved.

On my Renault 5 GT Turbo the fan would keep running for up to 15 minutes after an "enthusiastic" drive :biggrin:

• Haha 1

Hi,

if you had the previous model have you found the later X shift one better when it changes gear and general drive?

3 hours ago, petroleum said:

Hi,

if you had the previous model have you found the later X shift one better when it changes gear and general drive?

Can't comment as my mk1 wasn't MMT (it was a 2008 with a throttle cable not drive-by-wire so I gave up on the idea of converting it).

The x-drive on my 2020 mk2 is pretty good, I tend to switch to M when on hilly sections (there are a lot of those in North Devon!) as it does tend to change down one more gear than really necessary, but on most roads I stay in E and just use the paddles if I need to change down to overtake.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links