Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Steering problem

rpg2423

Changed the pressure hose on my steering on my 2005 highlander, it was leaking. Filled it, bled it and it is very hard to steer. Whines a lot. Question on the banjo fitting at the pump do you have to line up the hole in bolt with the hole in hose? 

The banjo bolt passes through the center of the fitting, which also has a hole in it. ... Those seals allow fluid to pass around the bolt, which means the holes do not need to line up unlike a standard threaded fitting, making installation of flexible lines easy (and in many cases, even possible in the first place.

Googled this for you have you turned the steering lock to lock to bleed the system it sounds like you still have air in the system.

I have done that several times but still the same. Do you think the switch on top of the banjo bolt could affect it? The connector is bad, wire pulled out. Stuck it back in. 

1 hour ago, rpg2423 said:

I have done that several times but still the same. Do you think the switch on top of the banjo bolt could affect it? The connector is bad, wire pulled out. Stuck it back in. 

Update. Now I have no steering at all. I jacked it up and did the bleeding 10 times lock to lock and then started it and bled again, no steering at all now. Could the pump have gone out? Worked fine before just a leaking hose. 

Could be pressure relief valve be stuck? I can race the engine and it will have some steering but whines.

15 hours ago, rpg2423 said:

Could be pressure relief valve be stuck? I can race the engine and it will have some steering but whines.

Sorry I dont think I can help further I still think you have air in the system and or an air lock as you have some steering when you Rev the engine when dealing with hydraulic’s you have to be scrupulously clean with dismantling and assembly maybe you have a bit of dirt in the system.

I am not familiar with the highlander is it an engine driven pump or a electric motor driven power steering system. Hope you get it sorted.

Engine driven. Thanks for responding. Are you in the UK? 

4 minutes ago, rpg2423 said:

Engine driven. Thanks for responding. Are you in the UK? 

Yes 

Wow. Thanks again. I am in the wrong forum. I am in the U.S.