Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Loud exhaust after replacement of stolen catalytic converter

Excel777

My catalytic converter was stolen in mid Feb 21.  I got the car back today but the exhaust is really loud.  The repairer said it was due to wear and tear of the part not being replaced and there was nothing wrong in their work as they do it everyday.  I am not sure what to do. I took it in to Kwik fit to check. They told me it wasn't blowing but noted the exhaust was loud.  They said it could be the catalytic convertor is clean but the un-replaced part is full of soot making the exhaust loud. I don't understand the logic.  My car was really silent before the theft. What could be causing the loud noise from the exhaust? Any help would be really appreciated. Thanks

Hi, who changed the catalytic converter and did they fitted original one?
Better avoid going to Kwick fit and similar, those knows nothing about cars. Only Toyota garage can help. I had the same problem last year, was done with oem part however by a garage that does bodywork repairs as it was through the insurance and although they said the same that they were fixing a number of these every day they didn’t do it properly. We requested a Toyota inspection from the insurance, and the mechanics from Toyota garage found it immediately, it wasn’t properly fitted . There is a specific way how to install the con gasket and if you don’t do it right the car will blow and be loud. In our case was that bad that exhaust fumes  were coming into the cabin. Better don’t accept it’s normal and push them to fit it correctly. 👍

Good luck 

Thank you - that's helpful advice. I was made to think I was going mad. The part was supposed to be original from Toyota.  The repairer was through insurance.  I just spoke with the insurance company who asked the repairer to contact me to take the car back in to repair the fault.  If the repairer doesn't take it back, I can contact the garage of my choice to get it resolved and insurance will reimburse me. Fingers crossed, it will get resolved soon.

Just one question, once it was found by Toyota's mechanics that it wasn't fitted properly, did the Toyota garage fix it or was it the insurance company's garage?

29 minutes ago, Excel777 said:

Just one question, once it was found by Toyota's mechanics that it wasn't fitted properly, did the Toyota garage fix it or was it the insurance company's garage?

Yes, Toyota garage has fixed the car. Here is the story: 

The insurance approved garage was in Watford next to a Toyota dealer from which they had sourced the exhaust, but they didn’t fixed it correctly, therefore we had complained about the issue and they arranged the garage to take the car back. They did worked on it, but unfortunately it wasn’t properly fixed again. We made request from the insurance to go to Toyota dealer next door, they agreed and we went to Toyota Steven Eagell. The mechanics had checked the exhaust and got it fixed., we were watching them outside the garage. , the guy has made adjustments on the front gasket and on the rear too. They explained to us all about it and they even didn’t charge us anything, since the car was originally purchased from the same company, although the insurance has agreed  to reimburse any expenses. Happy end after all. 👍

• Like 1

Thank you.  I will keep this post updated as to what happens.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1