Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

MPG Rav4

Nickems

New to Rav4 AWD

What mpg can I aim for with gentle driving ?

Hi, I would expect high 40's to low 50's with the latest model, if you drive it carefully and utilise electric only as much as possible.

I find with my 2019 I  have averaged around 54  with normal gentle driving. It has gone down a bit during cold weather and lockdown as the engine comes on every time you pop out, not because it’s needed but to warm it up in case it’s needed . I find the car a nice place to be and it drives very smooth and quiet. The only fly in the ointment is the Battery issues due to not much use. It really needs a least an hours use every week at least. I have just bought a smart Battery charger to get it back up charged.

Mine was averaging about 52 mpg (tank to tank calculations) until the end of the first summer, and averaged mid 40s in the first winter.  During the current lockdown, (almost three months since I last filled up, and a third of a tank remaining), it's only showing 37 on the computer.

An ideal 250 mile cross-country journey, taking it easy with no traffic delays and warm weather saw a best of 56.7 on the computer, whereas the Gen 4 Prius I had before achieved 84 mpg on the same trip under similar conditions.

One thing, all previous Toyotas had averaged about 5% optimism on the car's calculated mpg figures Vs my tank calculations, whereas the RAV seems more accurate at about 2%.

Really depends on weather I had high 40s Summer and low 40s winter 

We now have WLTP figures from the manufacturer which appear to be much more representative of real world use. Toyota quote 47.9 - 48.7 mpg for the AWDi - which accords pretty well with PeteB's Fuelly figure.

My brim-to-brim average through winter and lockdown is around 42mpg - which while pretty pathetic arises from 'running in' a new car under the current conditions and the almost total lack of longer journeys. I have the obc set-up to show 'trip' figures and for journeys over 10 miles I'm getting 45 - 50 mpg - the best I've seen is 71 mpg but that was starting towards the top of the Welsh hills and driving down to the coast!

As always, the results we get will depend largely on journey type, driving style and weather conditions ...

One of the best aspects of this car is witnessing its amazing economy across the board. Careful power management will keep average petrol consumption in the range of 50-55 mpg regardless of driving environment - trunk, urban or rural. My golden rules:

1) Use ECO mode.

2) Make maximum use of cruise control, set to speed limit + 5%, slower on motorways to avoid wasting energy forcing the air out of the way. Not too slow as to be a nuisance, though. 65 mph avoids fouling L1 for the HGVs, accelerate to 70 mph for overtaking to avoid blocking L2;

3) Brake no harder than max CHG on the power gauge. Start braking at the optimum point.

4) Accelerate in EV mode (1/4 above ECO, about 9 o'clock on the power meter).

My best is pictured below, all except the last 10 miles of this 109 mile journey was completed on free-flowing motorways. This is the only car I have owned where the real world mpg regularly exceeds the manufacturers's figures.

748667889_MPG11-09-2020.thumb.jpg.ecf4c44dd37c82859fc493145e1d7cce.jpg

• Like 1

On 3/17/2021 at 10:43 AM, PeteB said:

One thing, all previous Toyotas had averaged about 5% optimism on the car's calculated mpg figures Vs my tank calculations, whereas the RAV seems more accurate at about 2%.

i'd agree with that, the MPG calcs are pretty close to actual tank calcs.

My calculated is 45 mpg over 14000 miles, with lots of motorway blasts and short local trips. I do not drive to maximize the MPG.
I have inflated tyres to 36 psi, as I find 33 psi too soft. Also, drove in ECO and Normal modes and did not notice any MPG difference to be honest.
I settled for ECO mode as it is much easier to work the gas pedal then in Normal mode (had a leg pain after a long drive in Normal mode, as the gas pedal is more sensitive / has less travel in it)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links