Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hard leather car seats

GodfreyD

Have new 2021 Exel and my wife and I find both front leather seats are very hard with little packing beneath and a "ridge" as if there is a bar under them. At first  we thought this would go away through use but now believe the upholstery is not right. Anyone have the same problem and if so how was it resolved?

48 minutes ago, GodfreyD said:

Have new 2021 Exel and my wife and I find both front leather seats are very hard with little packing beneath and a "ridge" as if there is a bar under them. At first  we thought this would go away through use but now believe the upholstery is not right. Anyone have the same problem and if so how was it resolved?

I have a 2020 excel with the full leather seats and have no upholstery/comfort problems.  My previous car was another story, you could run your hand over the seat base and feel the heated seat element.  The dealer was not interested, pointing out that was normal (JLR), but their owner forums were awash with poorly completed upholstery trim.  If you can feel something amiss (pun intended) take it in to the dealers for checking.

10 hours ago, GodfreyD said:

There is something wrong here. We have leather seats in our excel and get nothing like what you describe. Although the leather seats are a tiny bit stiffer than the fabric equivalent. 

Since your car is so new, my suggestion would be you spring the “not fit for purpose” on the dealer and request they compare the comfort of your car with other stock models or perhaps loan you an equivalent fleet car until the issue is resolved...

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, PaulDM said:

There is something wrong here. We have leather seats in our excel and get nothing like what you describe. Although the leather seats are a tiny bit stiffer than the fabric equivalent. 

Since your car is so new, my suggestion would be you spring the “not fit for purpose” on the dealer and request they compare the comfort of your car with other stock models or perhaps loan you an equivalent fleet car until the issue is resolved...

Good advice here 👍, although I believe that the gr and excel has a harder sportier seats than the other trim levels, I noticed that immediately when tried them in the showroom and I do like how they look and how they support the body if you spent few hours in the car every day these are not the most suitable. Design and Trek trims perhaps has more comfortable seats. , or at least look like it. 😊

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

Good advice here 👍, although I believe that the gr and excel has a harder sportier seats than the other trim levels, I noticed that immediately when tried them in the showroom and I do like how they look and how they support the body if you spent few hours in the car every day these are not the most suitable. Design and Trek trims perhaps has more comfortable seats. , or at least look like it. 😊

I know this a “cross forum” question. But would the comfort of the leather seats differ between equivalent Corolla / Prius (say 2019-2021)? I drive a huge amount of miles and the Prius leather is really comfortable. 

12 hours ago, GodfreyD said:

You haven't said whether you have been back to the dealer. Surely this should be the first port of call if you suspect something isn't right. Get back in touch with your supplying dealer, outline the issue you have, and ask them to investigate.

12 hours ago, PaulDM said:

I know this a “cross forum” question. But would the comfort of the leather seats differ between equivalent Corolla / Prius (say 2019-2021)? I drive a huge amount of miles and the Prius leather is really comfortable. 

Definitely different as the seat base is different although looks similar designs. Priuses in general has softer seats than Corolla in both leather trims, as usually leather seats are always harder than cloth seats of any car. Last year before first lockdown I visited Toyota dealer and tried all cars in the showroom while waiting for my one to be done in the garage. , Prius plus , Camry , RAV4, Corolla hatch excel which was like seating on a bench outside in the park in comparison to the Camry or Prius plus which has the softest of all models, and was full leather trim. Plug in Priuses also has softer seats than Corolla, I haven’t been in design or icon trims but I sure they will be softer than GR or Excel. Lockdown causes so much trouble otherwise the OP can just visit a showroom and try the seats of other cars to compare, but if he books an appointment to get the car inspected he can always ask them to look at another Corolla same trim to check if seats are equally hard.

I came from driving Priuses for 2 years to drive Auris hybrid with leather seats and I needed months to get use to the seat and find a comfortable position. 

On 3/16/2021 at 8:30 AM, GodfreyD said:

Hello Godfrey, this “ridge” you mention, is it in the seat or in the back. I say that because I would imagine an Excel will have an adjustable back support, either manual adjustment of electric. Set incorrect for “you” and this can cause a problem.

The Gen4 Prius Excel I have is the first car I have had with leather seats. Must admit I just fell into it and with a bit of tweaking I have a really comfortable drive.

5 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Definitely different as the seat base is different although looks similar designs. Priuses in general has softer seats than Corolla in both leather trims, as usually leather seats are always harder than cloth seats of any car. Last year before first lockdown I visited Toyota dealer and tried all cars in the showroom while waiting for my one to be done in the garage. , Prius plus , Camry , RAV4, Corolla hatch excel which was like seating on a bench outside in the park in comparison to the Camry or Prius plus which has the softest of all models, and was full leather trim. Plug in Priuses also has softer seats than Corolla, I haven’t been in design or icon trims but I sure they will be softer than GR or Excel. Lockdown causes so much trouble otherwise the OP can just visit a showroom and try the seats of other cars to compare, but if he books an appointment to get the car inspected he can always ask them to look at another Corolla same trim to check if seats are equally hard.

I came from driving Priuses for 2 years to drive Auris hybrid with leather seats and I needed months to get use to the seat and find a comfortable position. 

Thank you for the clarification. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, PaulDM said:

Thank you for the clarification. 

You are welcome 👍

Thanks to all who relied and, yes, dealers contacted in writing but had no response.

The ridge,  Catlover, is on the left of th3 seat and runs front to back.

this is not the comfort expected from the top of a range Corolla. Whilst I like the  “not fit for purpose” suggestion it begs the question what specifically should be the standard.

You have now confirmed my suspicions that the upholstery is not upto standard beneath the leather  and will make a formal complaint.

On 3/16/2021 at 8:30 AM, GodfreyD said:

I have the 2020 Excel HB (out of the factory at the end of last June) with full leather seats that are superbly comfortable. Nice and firm. Not experienced the issues as you've described. Wondering if Toyota changed anything with the seats between MY 2020 and 2021?

• Like 1

Rather just writing to the dealer, you need to arrange for them to actually see the problem, investigate what the cause is, and determine whether it is a manufacturing fault - in which case it would be a warranty claim. Until the dealer can do this, the issue isn't going to move forward. Even if you contact Toyota GB directly, they would require the issue to be examined within their dealer network.

• Like 1

Yes. The dealers responded to my e-mail ( they had not responded to a phone call - surprise surprise) Car booked in to check the seat upholstery this week.

From what has been said on this forum I suspect I will be told the seats are meant for TSS  "sport" design and not for distance.

• Thanks 2

Leather car seats examined by dealer. They are really not bothered. With lockdown and  not prepared to allow me to compare the seating with other cars on forecourt. Am considering going to upholsterer as the pain is now continual after a long run and I put it down to the lack of adequate padding beneath the leather.

the idea that because this is the sports version and therefore only suitable for short journeys would be laughable if it wasn’t so serious. 

• Like 3

Whether car seats are comfortable or not is really down to the individual - and as with any car manufacturer, the design of seats is a compromise to try and suit the majority of drivers.

15 minutes ago, GodfreyD said:

the idea that because this is the sports version and therefore only suitable for short journeys would be laughable if it wasn’t so serious. 

Whilst having sympathy with you re an uncomfortable seat, can I ask where you get the thought from highlighted above.

Is there any mileage on going to a different dealer? There are certainly 2 near me that I would never go to again. One when I asked to test drive a facelift Prius 15inch excel offered me a bus Ed no sat nav 17 as that’s what I needed. The other sent my Prius away to a non approved Toyota workshop whilst I waited in the dealer for an mot.  After waiting 2 hours I was told “waiting for the car to be returned” 

Escalate directly to Toyota UK customer service as a complaint, detail issues comprehensively, what you would like them to do i.e. full investigation. Explain to them what your (I presume local) dealer's response was to your concerns.  Sounds like you are just being 'fobbed off'.  Various dealers are notorious for sidestepping their customer's concerns, partly down to poor attitude, partly down to wasting to avoid warranty work like the plague.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Rambler56 said:

Escalate directly to Toyota UK customer service as a complaint, detail issues comprehensively, what you would like them to do i.e. full investigation. Explain to them what your (I presume local) dealer's response was to your concerns.  Sounds like you are just being 'fobbed off'.  Various dealers are notorious for sidestepping their customer's concerns, partly down to poor attitude, partly down to wasting to avoid warranty work like the plague.

Agreed. Well placed comment. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Thanks to all who responded but orthopaedic surgeon now involved after Doctor diagnosed hard bolster in new touring sport car bucket seat may have led to a trapped nerve in glute (buttock).

Anyone else suffered similar pain? The Toyota branch did not react after 3 weeks to a complaint that the seat is not fit for purpose. 

2 hours ago, GodfreyD said:

Thanks to all who responded but orthopaedic surgeon now involved after Doctor diagnosed hard bolster in new touring sport car bucket seat may have led to a trapped nerve in glute (buttock).

Anyone else suffered similar pain? The Toyota branch did not react after 3 weeks to a complaint that the seat is not fit for purpose. 

Quite the opposite. I find these seats, along with VW, the only ones in the mass market that do not give me back trouble. 4 or 5 hour trips are no problem at all. This is a very good reason for doing a extended test drive and comparison with other cars before buying, something that seems to be dying out these days. 

Few years ago I bought a Hyundai i30. Once I got it I found after approx 20 miles my right hip was causing pain. No mater what I did to seat/steering wheel adjustment, even using a seat cushion there was no way I could get comfortable. Had to sell it after 6 months, couldn’t stand the pain. Not heard of any one else struggling with a i30 seat. I took it my age and associated problems was the cause. Anyone thinking of chasing Toyota (or any other manufacturer) for such a problem is on to a losing battle.

3 hours ago, Catlover said:

Few years ago I bought a Hyundai i30. Once I got it I found after approx 20 miles my right hip was causing pain. No mater what I did to seat/steering wheel adjustment, even using a seat cushion there was no way I could get comfortable. Had to sell it after 6 months, couldn’t stand the pain. Not heard of any one else struggling with a i30 seat. I took it my age and associated problems was the cause. Anyone thinking of chasing Toyota (or any other manufacturer) for such a problem is on to a losing battle.

Have had problems with Hyundai's and Kia's in the past, where friends have given me lifts. The head restraints are fat at the bottom and my neck hurts like hell after a only a few moments in the passenger seat.

I believe that - as a driver - you lean forward more so don't get the neck pain, but still get pain transmitting to the hip after a while.

I now avoid cars with fat headrests at the bottom.

6 hours ago, GodfreyD said:

If you have this diagnosis, the next step must be as @Rambler56 suggested earlier - escalate directly to Toyota UK.

Really sorry to hear of your experience. I have nothing but praise for the leather seats in my Excel HB, superbly comfortable. This past weekend, my wife and I made a trip to the Northeast and Cumbria, about 700 miles round trip. I drove, and sitting for hours in the driving seat was a pleasure. I do have the lumbar support on max which is a huge help. The only time since I've had the car (a year now) that I did get any discomfort was on a short trip where I had my wallet in my hip pocket. Aches and pains resulted! Now I take the wallet out whenever I drive. I did that with my previous car so it's not Toyota specific.

Good luck with things.

• Like 1