Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Hard leather car seats

GodfreyD

Wrongly set car seat position can also cause physical pain and issues to drivers body in a very short period of time. The Corolla GR and excel models definitely has harder than usual car seats, although they are comfortable to seat on they are not to everyone tastes and preferences for sure, these are basically the same as Yaris GR, sport rally car vs family hybrids hatchback or estate build for efficiency and comfort. If it was me I would rent a design trim for a week and see if there is any improvement and if yes will change the seats to design spec or change the whole car. I like the equipment of the excel without the seats ., same story with the 18” wheels only good to look at them.🤭

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 3/16/2021 at 3:30 AM, GodfreyD said:

Have new 2021 Exel and my wife and I find both front leather seats are very hard with little packing beneath and a "ridge" as if there is a bar under them. At first  we thought this would go away through use but now believe the upholstery is not right. Anyone have the same problem and if so how was

I may have found the problem and hopefully the solution.

You will need to be able to access the inner workings of the seat back rest by unzipping or removing the upholstery.

Adjusting a cable in the back rest is the potential solution. If you have power lumbar seats, you will have 2 cables, they look like the cables that run from bicycle brakes to the brake handles. If you dont have power lumbar support, you will have only 1 cable - THIS IS THE CABLE THAT NEEDS TO BE ADJUSTED. This cable is attached by a bolt near the head rest (leave that attached) and also attached toward the bottom of the back rest. The bottom attachment is a plastic housing that snaps in place and unsnaps easily and can be done with bare hands. The cable is designed to pull tension on the seat assembly which creates an arch in the back rest and the “Ridge” you feel is the hard frame arched in your back. This arch is too extreme for me also. Simply detach the lower part of the cable from the seat frame by pulling with your hand or needle nose pliers, it will slide out of the metal slot of the seat frame. This will release about 3 centimeters of cable, which will flatten the angle of the seat cushion, and remove the “Ridge”. If you can find a way to adjust the tension on that cable, you can customize the arch of the back rest to your comfort. I found that releasing 1 centimeter of tension works great for me, it removes the ridge and fills in the lower part of the back rest so I dont feel a large empty gap between the bottom and back rest. 

Please let me know if this helps!

-J4R

Isn't there a switch on the side of the seat to adjust the lumber pad? Mine goes completely flat.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links