Do Not Sell My Personal Information

RAV4 Mk 2 _ Losing power and engine racing...

Zincubus

Hi ... a few weeks ago the Rav suddenly lost power and the engine raced for a split second .. I just thought I’d missed the gear or something .

Anyways it’s happened a couple of times since but it was more noticeable today .. feels like a kinda random loss of power for a split second but then it’s fine .
The engine is running super smoothly and the gear changes are smooth as always ..

Any thoughts??

I have booked it in to our local garage for tomorrow...

Not had this problem but I'd start by unplugging the MAF sensor and running it disconnected to see if it still has the same problem - I believe it should just use default values when unplugged so not optimal but doesn't cause harm.

• Thanks 1

If the transmission is automatic, it sounds like one of the braking bands in the box was slipping momentarily.  It could be caused by muck in the fluid, so you could try a flush and new fluid.  I'm not sure if there is a filter in the box, but if there is it should be cleaned first.

If it's a manual transmission, I think the clutch may be starting to slip. Try driving up a steep hill to see if it happens again.

29 minutes ago, IanML said:

If the transmission is automatic, it sounds like one of the braking bands in the box was slipping momentarily.  It could be caused by muck in the fluid, so you could try a flush and new fluid.  I'm not sure if there is a filter in the box, but if there is it should be cleaned first.

If it's a manual transmission, I think the clutch may be starting to slip. Try driving up a steep hill to see if it happens again.

Hi

It is manual transmission... clutch slip sounds most likely given it appears to be getting more noticeable... just recently.

Would it suggest a NEW clutch or can they be adjusted? 

Any ideas as to a ball-park figure for a new clutch ??

It’s a small , local garage just two brothers and they tend to put on cheaper generic parts rather than Toyota ones .

We only do 5,000 miles per year and it is 20 years old ..

I believe it is a hydraulically controlled clutch, so is self-adjusting.  Slipping ,afaik , means a new clutch plate.  Most of the cost will be labour.

58 minutes ago, IanML said:

I believe it is a hydraulically controlled clutch, so is self-adjusting.  Slipping ,afaik , means a new clutch plate.  Most of the cost will be labour.

Thoughts on price from a small local garage ??

( in England) 

12 hours ago, IanML said:

£150-£250.

Thanks.,

Booked in ..£375 plus VAT

2 hours ago, Zincubus said:

Thanks.,

Booked in ..£375 plus VAT

Ouch!

Well, I suppose it involves disconnecting the drive to the rear wheels, so quite a bit to do.

22 hours ago, IanML said:

Ouch!

Well, I suppose it involves disconnecting the drive to the rear wheels, so quite a bit to do.

Apparently around 9 hours Labour ..

• 2 weeks later...

Hi peeps ..

Just picked it up tonight .. 

They didn’t say and I forgot to ask but presumably we just drive it normally ?!

Can we use it at 65- 70mph on the motorway or not ??

33 minutes ago, IanML said:

Yes, just drive it 

Well it’s running nice and smoothly but there is just a very , very slight vibration when I rest my foot lightly on the clutch pedal ...

Now apparently I shouldn’t be resting my foot on the clutch pedal in the first place it’s something I’ve done since I started driving about 45 years ago so it’s gonna be very hard to eradicate ...
Thing I never noticed anything with the old worn in clutch ?! 

I think you don't want to eradicate it.  It will remind you not to do it, and your clutch release bearing will thank you :angel_not: