Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota Aygo X Prologue concept - how the next Aygo could look

FROSTYBALLS

Looks amazing and has the right tyres fitted as standard, no more suvs in funny situations in winter.👌🚘👍

Good to see even if it is a concept, shows more commitment to small affordable car segment, where others are dropping out or copping out!

According to the article, it will not be a BEV or hybrid. I am glad the new Aygo will have a petrol engine.

As it is a tiny city car, I feared it would evolve into an electric car.

11 minutes ago, zuh said:

According to the article, it will not be a BEV or hybrid. I am glad the new Aygo will have a petrol engine.

But there is scope for a hybrid version to appear. The Toyota/Suzuki co-operation will include Toyota building a Suzuki engine in Poland for use in a compact model - possibly the new Aygo (??)  - and Suzuki have mild hybrid versions of the engine used in the Ignis and Swift.

14 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

But there is scope for a hybrid version to appear. The Toyota/Suzuki co-operation will include Toyota building a Suzuki engine in Poland for use in a compact model - possibly the new Aygo (??)  - and Suzuki have mild hybrid versions of the engine used in the Ignis and Swift.

If it isn't a hybrid then they won't be allowed to sell it in the UK after 2030 under current Government plans - and there have been some hints that might be brought forward to 2025 which would be well within the product lifetime of this.

14 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Ok, thank you for the information.

Mild hybrid cars are not what I would call hybrid cars. This has nothing to do with Toyota's HSD. I test-drove a Suzuki Swift with a SHVS engine (Smart Hybrid Vehicle by Suzuki) once. It is great to reduce emissions to comply with regulations. But it drove and felt like a regular car, and it had a manual gearbox, which surprised me because it was the first time I saw a manual hybrid. And the impact on the price remains acceptable.

A HSD Aygo would have no boot and cost as much as a Yaris 😁

My dream Aygo would be a petrol Aygo with a CVT gearbox.

From reports the new Aygo will be based on the same platform as the current Yaris, albeit in a different size. So there may be scope for the Aygo, later in life to have a full hybrid drivetrain, which may not be the same as current systems. The definition of a full hybrid is a vehicle that can run on an internal combustion engine, on an electric motor or a combination of both.  No mention of type of transmission.

Full hybrids can be sold in the UK up to 2035.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, PetrolDave said:

If it isn't a hybrid then they won't be allowed to sell it in the UK after 2030 under current Government plans - and there have been some hints that might be brought forward to 2025 which would be well within the product lifetime of this.

Personally, I don’t see 2025 as being viable to stop petrol/diesel cars on the uk, the UKIP government is not up to speed on infrastructure to support that.

The Aygo will have other markets as well as uk, possibly with bigger sales potential.

I really like the looks of this Aygo, and the colour, Chilli, makes it look even better.

2 minutes ago, Catlover said:

Personally, I don’t see 2025 as being viable to stop petrol/diesel cars on the uk,

I agree 100%, the charging infrastructure is almost non-existent in rural areas - but I'm not certain that will stop the 'green' movement who seem to only consider the situation in large conurbations.

The Aygo is currently selling has been selling 20-25,000 per year in the UK since 2014, and until the arrival of the Corolla, was the second best selling Toyota in the UK for a number of years (the yaris is the top seller).

Annual European sales since 2015 have been between 86,000 and 99,000 - so the UK market is a big market for the Aygo.

With Ford, Stellantis (Citroen, Peugeot and Vauxhall) pulling out of the city car market,  VAG looking closely at the profitability of the Up and Mii (now electric only) - Skoda's Citigo no longer on sale -  and Mitsubishi pulling out of Europe, the only competitors are the Fiat 500, Suzuki Ignis, Kia Picanto and Hyundai i10.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links